SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking folks-just got my first pressure cooker, what should I do with it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooking folks-just got my first pressure cooker, what should I do with it? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
I loves me my kitchen gadgets. Admittedly a bit of a impulse buy, but several folks I work with swear by them.

Breaking it in with some country pork ribs, what next?

Here is the one I got...

Elite Platinum 8qt

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good way to cook a batch of pinto beans in a hurry

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Perfect for tougher cuts of meat.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Be ver-wy careful Big Grin

watching this thread with interest

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Briny (salt and sugar) solution with beef short ribs, potatoes, onions, celery and carrots.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13085 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Pulled pork.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
You can cook a chicken in a hurry and have it ready to be deboned for making chicken and dumplings. Wink

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5748 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Alton Brown has a great pressure cooker chili recipe...

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can epoxy the pressure release blow off valve shut and put some water in it and turn it on high and run like hell! (Don't do this)

My grandmother used to make artichokes in hers all of the time and it cooked them quick......

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can make ham&beans fast, but don't fill it full and let it get too hot. (It's amazing how beans can come through those little bitty holes.) Eek

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If I suggested a trip to Boston...nevermind.

Okay but seriously, my mom used to cook a whole chicken (giblets and all), deboned the cooked contents, and used everything - broth and all - as the chicken soup base (just add veggies).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Good way to cook a batch of pinto beans in a hurry

I've made many a batch of pintos in an old Presto pressure cooker. Boil a minute or two, let sit for an hour, then 20 minute pressure cook. If memory serves, 50 minutes from dry beans also works.

Pretty good for a rapid pot roast or swiss steak, but both are better if done slower in the oven.

Posts: 7631 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!! Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16227 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Alton Brown has a great pressure cooker chili recipe...

Mark
I’ve come close to buying a pressure cooker numerous times just to make chili faster.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Man, that is uncalled for. I suppose someone was bound to say this stuff. Stop and think about what you're saying, then stop saying it. Why in the world you would introduce into this thread something like that...

This thread, guys, is about cooking.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Buy the cheapest crap meat you can find and cook the ever loving shit out of it in order to try and make it edible... at least thats what my wife does.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
You can cook potatoes for mashing very fast. Cut them into pieces (1 or 2 inches).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
So far I have never cooked anything more than chicken breasts in a pressure cooker when I want then cooked quick and usually shred them for a recipe such as chicken and dumplings.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8740 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
One other thing – I cook my "soft boiled" eggs by steaming them in my Fagor pressure cooker. It took me awhile to develop the time and cooktop setting tables, but now my eggs come out perfect, every time.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post