SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ok, let's talk equality, true equality
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok, let's talk equality, true equality Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Damn I love this. The ladies of NHRA are just tearing it up. Do they get a head start on the men? How about a HP advantage? How about racing a shorter distance? No, no, and no. The women of NHRA are competing head to head against the men, and winning. And if asked, my bet is, they'd destroy anybody who even suggested they get any sort of advantage because they aren't men. Love it.

Brittany Force - Top Fuel Dragster

Leah Pruitt - Top Fuel Dragster

Erica Enders - Pro Stock

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You GO girl!

RTFN! (Right The Fuck Now!)

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess the Pit crew (Men) and racing equipment builders (Men) and machine shops (Men) have nothing to do with the girls winning drag races?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I guess the Pit crew (Men) and racing equipment builders (Men) and machine shops (Men) have nothing to do with the girls winning drag races?
I completely fail to see the point of your post. Who cares if Martians built and serviced their cars? These ladies are the ones gracing the driver's seats and pulling the trigger on 10,000hp. They're donning their fireproof suits and going head to head with the very best of the sport, with no special accommodations, and winning. In my mind, that is the purest form of equality.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
...isn't 'the opportunity to compete' head to head the equality itself?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
What impresses me most is that the drivers in NHRA (both the ladies and men) change their own hats during the post-race interview. In NASCAR, they have to have a guy who does that for them!

Posts: 6451 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
I completely fail to see the point of your post. Who cares if Martians built and serviced their cars? These ladies are the ones gracing the driver's seats and pulling the trigger on 10,000hp. They're donning their fireproof suits and going head to head with the very best of the sport, with no special accommodations, and winning. In my mind, that is the purest form of equality.

Exactly. While there is a LOT that goes into designing, building, and servicing these machines, few people outside the industry even care about these support folks. Who built the cars, or who sewed their underwear, or who made the coffee they drank in the morning? Doesn't matter (to most people) - only who placed what at the end of the day. While such support people are indispensable to any successful race team, it is the driver that gets (most of) the glory. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I remember watching Shirley Muldowney running top fuel dragster in the early 1970s ... great times.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
IMHO it is even better than stated. I have yet to hear any NHRA driver ramble on about things not related to the sport. Focus, skill, teamwork and funding win these races. Nothing else matters.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
IMHO it is even better than stated. I have yet to hear any NHRA driver ramble on about things not related to the sport. Focus, skill, teamwork and funding win these races. Nothing else matters.

This! NHRA is the only professional sport I still watch.

Posts: 870 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree that in sports where men and women can compete head to head, without handicap they should. Motorsports, horse racing, shooting, and others.

But I assume you don't advocate men and women competing against each other in sports where strength or speed are the defining defining characteristics. It would be absurd for women to box or wrestle against men, to cite the most extreme examples I can think of.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Danica Patrick started in IndyCar, at least one other driver complained that she had a weight advantage. And when you are talking about hundredths of a second determining the outcome of a some races, weighing 50 lbs less than your opponent might actually help.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I agree that in sports where men and women can compete head to head, without handicap they should. Motorsports, horse racing, shooting, and others.

But I assume you don't advocate men and women competing against each other in sports where strength or speed are the defining defining characteristics. It would be absurd for women to box or wrestle against men, to cite the most extreme examples I can think of.

That makes me think of the time Joe Rogan said Ronda Rousey could beat some men in MMA matches. Big Grin

Posts: 13088 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Equality?

When women work in the Pit crews disassembling a motor between heats. When women work in machine shops welding/drilling race gear. Then I'll believe in equality between the sexes.

Until then, lane position, a top Pit crew, rich sponsors and quicker reflects don't put them in the same league as the women who worked in the Aircraft factories during WWII building and flying Aircraft.

IMO, those women were equal.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

That makes me think of the time Joe Rogan said Ronda Rousey could beat some men in MMA matches. Big Grin

Joe was stoned when he said that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
So an NBA player isn't better than a WNBA player, because a woman in China made his shoes.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Of course not. The focus of this thread was specifically focused on NHRA where women in the past haven't played a big role, but where women today are playing a bigger and bigger role going head to head with the boys.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yet they couldn't fly the planes they built. That role was reserved for men, many of whom wouldn't have known what end of a wrench to pick up. Not much equality in my eyes in that arrangement.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Equality?

When women work in the Pit crews disassembling a motor between heats. When women work in machine shops welding/drilling race gear. Then I'll believe in equality between the sexes.

Until then, lane position, a top Pit crew, rich sponsors and quicker reflects don't put them in the same league as the women who worked in the Aircraft factories during WWII building and flying Aircraft.

I am thinking that the vast majority of professional race car drivers have no clue how to turn a wrench ... all they do is drive.

However ...women are still making into the pitcrew.

https://racer.com/2021/05/27/f...s-indy-500-pit-crew/

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Yet they couldn't fly the planes they built. That role was reserved for men, many of whom wouldn't have known what end of a wrench to pick up. Not much equality in my eyes in that arrangement.

Who do you think flew those planes from the US to England. Female pilots, that's who.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post