SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Student Loan Debt
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Student Loan Debt Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Student loans should be linked to the career field. When the degree is in, say finance, the loans need be easy to obtain. Soft degrees, gender, ethics and art, need a more rigorous loan process and less money be available.
This of course, will bring screams from those fields. They the generate their own loans and grants.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Student loans should be linked to the career field. When the degree is in, say finance, the loans need be easy to obtain. Soft degrees, gender, ethics and art, need a more rigorous loan process and less money be available.
This of course, will bring screams from those fields. They the generate their own loans and grants.

At the very least someone needs to explain to the applicant that they will never rid themselves of the debt incurred to get a fine arts degree. Ever. The applicants need to know up front what that is going to make their life like. It should also be explained that any degree in the STEM areas will more that likely be paid off rather quickly and costs the same as the liberal arts degree.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
"bachelor of fine arts degree in television"

"bachelor’s degree in photography"

"bachelor’s degree in peace, justice and conflict studies"

^^^^^^^^
Pretty much worthless degrees that shouldn't be offered as a major, anywhere.

quote:

"degree in biology"

^^^^^^^^
A notoriously hard to use as a bachelor's degree.

If should almost be required when taking out student loans to have the person submit an analysis of what they want to do, how that degree would further that objective, the likelihood of getting a job in that field, and how much the jobs actually pay.

Otherwise skip college and go directly to becoming a barrista without $100K in debt.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yawn... My wife racked up $40k for her masters, she graduated spring of last year. We owe about $12k on it in just over a year and it will be paid off by December. Also paid an insane amount last year for an emergency surgery and complete replacement of our AC system as it shit the bed. That $40k would have been paid off in less than a year had “life” not happened. Bottom line is it’s doable. We haven’t gone on any vacations, splurged on anything we didn’t need, she works extra baby sitting on the side and we take it easy in general financially.

I highly suspect that these idiots with $80-100k plus in debt have the latest iPhone, a 3 Series BMW or similar and rack up a bar tab 3-4 nights a week. They’ll never get ahead living that life.

I do agree that a lot of these bullshit degrees need to go away and not everyone is cut out for college. Hell my career path could have happened just as easily without college of any sort.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
The cost of college has far out paced median wages. Bernie Sanders plan for free college was interesting.

WHY has the cost of college has far out paced median wages?
Hint: So has the cost of healthcare...
Why?? Because both have been subsidized by government.
Without the gov. subsidies, people would get the education they can afford.
Do you favor Bernie Sanders' plan for "free college"?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Regardless of how anyone feels about this issue, I can assure you it's financially crippling my generation which in the long run will drive the economy down over all, perhaps to a crash we'll not recover from as long as these loans remain basically undismissable.

Do you have student loans yourself? Because if you think they're not "dismissable," you haven't made much effort researching the topic.

There are various programs that recalculate payment terms based on your income or profession. And after a certain amount of years (25 or 30) the remaining balance gets dismissed.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Collage needs to be thought of as a type of trade school. If it doesn't pay you shouldn't play. This chase you dreams nonsense has been foolish for decades. Not what am I interested in studying, but what CAN I actuality get a job in and maybe do for a career that would be satisfying.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Regardless of how anyone feels about this issue, I can assure you it's financially crippling my generation which in the long run will drive the economy down over all, perhaps to a crash we'll not recover from as long as these loans remain basically undismissable.

Do you have student loans yourself? Because if you think they're not "dismissable," you haven't made much effort researching the topic.

There are various programs that recalculate payment terms based on your income or profession. And after a certain amount of years (25 or 30) the remaining balance gets dismissed.

Federal loans only, not private, parent or refinanced loans.

It’s not as easy as you think, and we did begin with over $400k in loans. They will be all paid off in full, none of this forgiveness crap.

I believe what Fender is referring to is that student loan debt can not be discharged through bankruptcy. In many respects, it is the modern day equivalent to indentured servitude.

Posts: 2328 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My oldest daughter will graduate in December 2019 with 2 bachelors, a masters, and a PHD and have $4,000 in student loans (dual bachelors in bio chemistry and food science, masters & PHD in food science).

Middle daughter graduated in 2016 with a bachelors and masters in accounting, had a job when she graduated and zero loans. She sccepted a new position 2 weeks ago making low six figures.

Son, youngest, graduated 2 weeks ago with a bachelors in CIS and has a job, US Army 2nd LT. About $6000 in loans.

We helped our oldest with living expenses during her undergraduate degrees. She and scholorships paid all tuition.

Middle daughter had full scholorships (athletic and academic)

Helped our son a bit with tuition his first year. He had 4 years room and board and 3 years books and tuition scholorships.

Not a single liberal arts degree. All very marketable degrees and skillsets.

Posts: 1076 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amanda Spizzirri, 23, graduated from DePaul University last year with a bachelor’s degree in peace, justice and conflict studies .

quote:
she works multiple jobs, mostly in food service,

quote:

She dreams of being able to find a career, possibly working in criminal justice reform, where she can cause social change .

quote:

“I feel like my misconception was that taking out debt would help me pursue my dreams, but it’s actually inhibiting me from pursuing them,” Spizzirri says.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
I just finished school at 30 with a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering & ended up with about $50k in debt. I'm not thrilled about it, but I knew I was going to have to finance my education with debt from the beginning & didn't really have any other options. So I chose a degree that will pay for the debt.

I honestly feel for these people that put themselves so deep in the hole for nothing. There are a lot of people who are dumb as shit at age 18 (I certainly was), and these loans look like free money, AND the college administrators that run these idiot ass liberal arts departments sell these shit degrees to kids like they're just as good as any other degree.

I think the parents of these kids are pretty culpable in these situations. How on earth can you spend 18 years with your child and allow them to think a degree in Peace & Justice will be worth the paper it's printed on? How can you let your kid spend six years getting a degree in fucking *photography*? I know it's easy to point & laugh at the dipshit kids that walked this path, but the generation that came before, the generation that was supposed to raise up these millenials & teach them how the world works, has failed spectacularly, and their children will be footing the bill.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
How much of the expense is for living expenses?
I was fortunate enough to live at home while I got my degree and waaaay back then the tuition and books were paid for with a part time job.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just finished school at 30 with a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering & ended up with about $50k in debt. I'm not thrilled about it, but I knew I was going to have to finance my education with debt from the beginning & didn't really have any other options. So I chose a degree that will pay for the debt.

Of course, there is good debt and bad debt. Good debt is debt that will help you increase your net worth. It could be education, it could be a good investment, it could be buying a business. Bad debt will decrease your net worth. It could be education, it could be a bad investment, it could be buying a business... Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget about us parents who financed their children's education through the "Parent Plus" loan program. The amount I owe is staggering and I expect the loan will outlive me.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1370 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob, What is the parent plus loan program? First I've heard of it.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Parent PLUS Loan Overview

Summary: The Parent PLUS Loan is a federal student loan available to the parents of dependent undergraduate students. The Parent PLUS Loan offers a fixed 7.0% interest rate for the 2017-2018 school year and flexible loan limits. To be eligible, a parent can’t have an adverse credit history. Parent PLUS Loans have a 4.276% origination fee.*

Parents of dependent undergraduate students borrow the Parent PLUS Loan to help their children pay for college or career school. The Parent PLUS Loan offers a fixed interest rate and flexible loan limits.

Before parents borrow from the Parent PLUS Loan program, it is best if their child exhausts eligibility for Direct Loans first, since these student loans have lower interest rates and fees.

Some parents borrow Parent PLUS Loans to make sure their children don’t take on too much student loan debt. But remember, nothing stops parents from helping their children with their student loan payments. Borrowing Direct Loans before Parent PLUS Loans will save the family money.

https://www.edvisors.com/colle...l-parent-plus-loans/

-rduckwor

Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Biology degrees can pay over time but you must be willing to put your time in to get the necessary laboratory experience. You must also be willing to go to grad school preferably on your employer's money if possible.

There were few jobs for my class upon graduation. I had a BS in Biological science with specialization in Molecular Genetics, Molecular Biology, and Microbiology. I had accumulated prior lab experience through co-op programs in Microbiology labs, and a cellular biochemistry lab. I also voluntarily worked in my University's research labs as an undergrad as part of a special course. This hands on work and experience was critical to landing my first job after graduation.

Upon graduation, I took a job in a Medical diagnostic lab which was not really in my field, but would allow me to work, gain lab experience, and eventually go to grad school part time with assistance from the company.

It worked out very well. I made money, learned new lab skills, and got my graduate degree with the help of my employer. All of this allowed me to move on to a better company a few years later, where I could work more effectively in my field.

The key was being willing to initially work outside my exact field for a bit less to gain the lab experience and more advanced education I needed without acquiring more debt.

Today, I am debt free and working for a major corporation, involved in cutting edge science to meet critical medical needs.

Just my own experience in the Biology field,

Mike (Molecular Biologist/Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

Federal loans only, not private, parent or refinanced loans.

It’s not as easy as you think, and we did begin with over $400k in loans. They will be all paid off in full, none of this forgiveness crap.

I believe what Fender is referring to is that student loan debt can not be discharged through bankruptcy. In many respects, it is the modern day equivalent to indentured servitude.

I was asking FenderBender.

And since the term "dismissable" was used, I don't see why "this forgiveness crap" would be excluded. It may be a matter of degrees but I would find it less malodorous to take advantage of a loan forgiveness program than bankruptcy.

And I know it's as easy as I think. The requirements may be stringent as requiring you show the numbers that you actually are financially struggling to service the student loan or that you are working in a public service job for at least 10 years as a firefighter, teacher, military personnel and nurse, among others.

The loan forgiveness comes after at least 25 years after qualifying each year for the reduced payment program.

I was trying to point a member here towards some practical help instead of a principle hill to die on. I suppose you would look down on people who take the student loan interest deduction on their income taxes? You're being able to service a $400k student loan may mean you're pushed out of being able to take the deduction with your income, but would you if you could? Did you?

We're not talking here about welfare fraud, we're talking about lawfully using legitimate programs much like lawfully using legitimate deductions on our income taxes.

So I know it's as easy as I think and it's as stringent as you think which is what it should be.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
broadcast journalism

Seems to me this is the type of field for a self-starter. School paper, computer lab, AV Club, local newspaper, community college on the side while plunging right into an entry level job at the local weekly.

$80k would buy a lot of really good equipment for any field.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Anyone notice that all of these people in the article live in and around Chicago?

Perhaps that's part of the problem they face.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post