SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Market situation: now and in the future.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Market situation: now and in the future. Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Another .75 interest rate hike today. Money market funds will be yielding 3 percent very soon and possibly 4.5 percent by end of the year. Mortgage rates over 6 percent now. Market did not like Powells comments and down again. Going to be bumpy ride for who knows how long.

https://www.reuters.com/market...al-banks-2022-09-21/

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Nothing new here. We are in a recession and will get through it like all the others. Thank the Democrats for this one.

"Democrats"?

Look at The Fed, Uni-Party Congress, Uni-Party .Senate and the Executive branch over the last many decades.

And look at Venezuela as an indicator. We'll 'get through it'alright, but we won't like what is on the other end.

This ^^^^^

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^The low in mid-June could be stratospheric compared to what's likely on the horizon... Wink

And here we are, back at the 'Ides of June'...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
You probably noticed everything dropped significantly yesterday. Biggest factor was the FED rate hike on Wednesday I guess.

We'll see what happens next, as always.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I just checked, and my Roth IRA, which is invested in a 4 fund blend of Vanguard index funds, is down 23% since 1/1/2022.

Luckily, I'm still at least 22 years away from needing to draw on it.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
They cannot prop the house of cards up forever. When those in charge have bilked all they can from ordinary folks the house of cards will come down. Whether that is now or sometime in the not to distant future it is coming sooner than later.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Whether that is now or sometime in the not to distant future it is coming sooner than later.

I predict under 20,000 by the end of next year.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things will improve.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hay2bale,

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
with the market doing what it is (down then up, then down then). It always seems to push your portfolio down. It is sort of like the up days don't count Frown

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Remember that the down market is a loss only if you sell. The history of the market is downs followed by ups.
Hard to do but try not to be a constant watcher.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1536 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I watch constantly, haven't sold anything, only buying what I feel are bargains. My 401K is down 25% for the year, my Roth's are up a bit

Just bought some Tesla at $208 Thursday

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D_Steve:
Remember that the down market is a loss only if you sell. The history of the market is downs followed by ups.
Hard to do but try not to be a constant watcher.

Years ago I got my Financial Advisor to take on an account of a good friend of Mrs. Flash as a favor to me.

She watched the market every day and actually called the Advisor any day the market went down and demanded an explanation for why it went down.

He finally got tired of her, called a meeting and fired her, gave her a check for her money.

I talked to her 10 year later and told her how much she would have if she'd kept her mouth shut and kept the money in the market.

Her mouth cost her big time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
-16% last I checked from equities losses. Lately, a little $/cost/avg out on upticks to 2/3rds cash (from 50%).

Not yet buying this nutty notion of rate hike reductions. Crazy Vix; s&p500 is playing w fire and companies freezing hiring or worse, along w real estate buggered @ high prices plus 7% mortgages.

Maybe the election saves the market - but there is still a ton of bad news for 2023 imo. (You can even see the Democrats positioning for this bad news to blame the Republicans after they take over the Congress in a few weeks.)

Europe is still screwed. And China is wrapping up their CCP activities. Therefore Taiwan is on the radar. No good news yet, other than the red wave election here.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Everything is treacherous right now, but that means opportunity.

If you've not been through a major economic downturn before as an actively aware investor, don't panic!

I believe the overall market has another 10-30% downward movement. This is a buying opportunity. The timeline is probably 2 years before a true upturn, so resist FOMO buying, but buying in increments as the market goes down will pay off.

If you're working, max out your 401k/IRA savings. I strongly favor ROTH, but regardless now is a good time to be making those regular investments. Ten years from now you'll look back and see how much the market has risen.

If you sit out you are likely to miss the initial upswing, which is usually big and fast, but also unpredictable. You don't get advanced notice of when it is coming.

We're nearing 1 year into retirement, and so we do feel the pain. We went mostly cash in our portfolio in January, and are still 50% cash. We are buying into a variety of investments as the market drops, knowing it will pay off within a few years. I believe now is a great buying opportunity for precious metals, which may pay in a few months.

I Bonds are a great idea right now. You've got 6 days to get in on better than 9% in a US Treasury! It takes a couple of days to navigate the logistics, so don't procrastinate.

Be annoyed, be concerned, but don't panic.

Posts: 9400 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
So. I have been in the market when the Dow was 884. I have no need to sell and have plenty of cash. Unless you are an accomplished trader it makes no sense to look at the market daily. I do, however follow the financial news. After the midterm elections I would expect a bounce in prices.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
I've been in the market since it was 851 or so and I'll predict it'll be around 35,000 by the end of 2023.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
I've been in the market since it was 851 or so and I'll predict it'll be around 35,000 by the end of 2023.

Small Wager?

Lmao … 98% debt to GDP, and interest rates still climbing.

Shall we bet a whole beef? Perhaps a pig and a duck too?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^

Small Wager?

Lmao … 98% debt to GDP, and interest rates still climbing.

Shall we bet a whole beef? Perhaps a pig and a duck too?

I'm thinking something more along the lines of a Unicorn.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Medic! Tourniquet!

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
The house of cards is crumbling. Silicone Valley Bank just collapsed 2nd largest bank failure in US history. https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/10.../svb-bank/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2179 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post