SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The squids and idiots were out in force in Charlotte today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The squids and idiots were out in force in Charlotte today Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I had a good time visiting with friends in Charlotte today. While driving with my son to the lego store, which was pretty neat BTW, I saw a guy fly by in the other direction riding a wheelie on a newer GSXR (Current MotoGP colors) followed by a pack of sport bikes. Then on the way home tonight I saw at least 5 sport ATVs flying down the damn interstate. Is Charlotte always like that on the weekend or was I just lucky to be in the same area as these fools today? It seems like a wild city.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
"Squids"? I thought that was the term applied to Navy types.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Standard dumbass scooter riders, really.

Also known as organ donors, we need em in fact.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Flashguy, Squid is a term for navy personnel but it has another meaning as well. Living in the Norfolk, VA Beach, Chesapeake VA area for years I can't help but wonder if the Navy type squids had anything to do with the creation of the term squid regarding motorcycle riders. I know many Navy Squid types are also squids on motorcycles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Maybe this will help.

There is a strong visual relationship between both things called squid in the context of foolish riding.

And is had nothing to do with a contraction of "squirrelly kid". (in the past when it was first heard used 70s)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I had a good time visiting with friends in Charlotte today. While driving with my son to the lego store, which was pretty neat BTW, I saw a guy fly by in the other direction riding a wheelie on a newer GSXR (Current MotoGP colors) followed by a pack of sport bikes. Then on the way home tonight I saw at least 5 sport ATVs flying down the damn interstate. Is Charlotte always like that on the weekend or was I just lucky to be in the same area as these fools today? It seems like a wild city.

We can't do anything to stop them, and they know it. It empowers them. It's every day.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can't do anything to stop them, and they know it. It empowers them. It's every day.

Can you help me out a bit here? Is this a command or political decision? It seems that you could stop them for unregistered vehicle, excessive speed, reckless driving, failure to stay in lane, obstruction of traffic, driving while stupid, light out, failure to signal turn or lane change and general fuckwittery. Plus, it would be fun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

Can you help me out a bit here? Is this a command or political decision? It seems that you could stop them for unregistered vehicle, excessive speed, reckless driving, failure to stay in lane, obstruction of traffic, driving while stupid, light out, failure to signal turn or lane change and general fuckwittery. Plus, it would be fun.

Your theory is entirely dependent on one thing...their stopping.

They know we can't chase them. Every now and then we get lucky and the helicopter is available and spots where they leave their ATV or motor cycle, or the Highway Patrol will come out to play.

Otherwise, it's not even worth turning on our blue lights and siren any longer than it takes them to hit the gas. They run, we stop.

We don't stop, we get a month off, unpaid...thirty days... to rethink it. And if they wreck we get sued. That should bring some perspective.

ETA: Pretty much anything that used to be "fun" is not recommended anymore. But even back then, chasing ATVs was officially unapproved. It's just that the approvers didn't look very hard for shit then, and every swinging dick wasn't recording everything on a phone and livestreaming it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its becoming a "thing" here in the bay area as well. i don't get the ATV quads going on the freeway and acting like idiots. i'd love to take up a position with my M1A and drop a few

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
its becoming a "thing" here in the bay area as well. i don't get the ATV quads going on the freeway and acting like idiots. i'd love to take up a position with my M1A and drop a few

Yep. All kinds of crazies out there

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've personally never seen it and I drive on 485 77 or 85 almost everyday.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7148 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I've personally never seen it and I drive on 485 77 or 85 almost everyday.

I live uptown off of 77 and have never seen it. I see lots of guys on stretched sport bikes but not really in packs. I haven't had a single ATV on the road accidents patient in the ER either.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
We don't stop, we get a month off, unpaid...thirty days... to rethink it. And if they wreck we get sued. That should bring some perspective.

Got it, thanks Chongo, I appreciate the explanaion. So, they can be hard to catch because they are fast, small and maneuverable, but it is still a command decision to some extent; you are unable to use the tools and the skills that you have to their full extent because you are not authorized and supported. No one in command or city hall wants the mediapathic image of a patrol car hitting a mini van full of soccer kids because you are chasing a bunch of idiots on Razrs.

I suppose some of that is a defensible decision. Mostly, though I think it sucks. What it says is that command and the politicians who run them have decided that lawbreaking by some groups is too difficult to fix so we let it go, but god forbid I am doing 80 at rush hour with another thousand cars instead of the 70 someone arbitrarily put on a sign. I pay. But a pack of 40 fucksticks that are traveling in a group out there and even sometimes make the news are un-touchable.

At some point, a significant portion of population of this country is just going to start shooting.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The policies are the same in the Eastern part of the state.

And the criminals are well aware of it.

I've actually had my kids karate teacher asking me about it when some asshole blew by outside around 70mph on a dirtbike....told him the PD can't chase and told him eventually a citizen will get hurt/killed and then the pressure on the city council will tell the PD to change the rules..until it happens-this shit will continue.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The shitbags will be all up in the mountains today.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Assholes.

Reckless highway bikers caught on video beating up motorist after trapping him on roadside

Always carry.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Social media driven Hunter-Killer drones.

Users pay a fee to access and control a drone.
Other people pay-per-view to watch.

AI prevents users from targeting anything except that which LE has identified as a "target".

Fees collected go to the cost of the program and payout for collateral damages.

Until some 14 year old in mom's basement or the Russians hack it and start whacking tanker trucks.

Well, it was a thought...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Joking aside. Following and IDing these fuckwits with drones is probably the right idea. Under extreme conditions (like the above beating) crashing the drones into miscreant heads might be acceptable.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I was seriously/kidding.

There are ways to engage this problem.

Drones with indelible dye packs.

Use specific micro markers (like Anti-Theft Dots/microdots) in the dye.

Vendors can supply specifically "numbered" packs, so that no two are the same and each is controlled so when it is deployed, it is known date, time, location, and no matter what anyone may put on their bike, it will never match a deployed marker.

Because once it is put to use and these fools start "dye splattering" their crotch rockets as a "fad" and attempt at making the dye identification useless as "everyone has it".

Unique and controlled/tracked deployment would help against that.

Nothing will ever change, until the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain it takes to change.

The problem exists because it is not "painful" enough for change.

Let's apply the "pain".

Truly, who believes that this infringes upon any "rights" anyone has to endanger others?

There are many sanctioned places and venues to get the rush people want.

And still anyone wanting to run the twisties and zip around can still do that, but if the po-leece try to stop and ticket you as they always have, you run, you dye.

And the other side of the coin with the groups that harass and cause obstruction, if caught, there are plenty laws that exist that can be charged against the groups. Apply them lavishly.