SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The squids and idiots were out in force in Charlotte today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The squids and idiots were out in force in Charlotte today Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Drove out to the east coast for my Mom's 90th and for some other family business.

On the way here, I was appalled at some of the motorcycle idiocy I witnessed. I'm referring to out and out RECKLESS driving.

Young guys on big, sport bikes. I was passed yesterday while at 60 mph on a busy, rural south Jersey two lane , by a bike doing WELL OVER 100 mph. It was insane.

Any crash at that speed would certainly be a fatality. Hopefully these idiots don't hit anyone else.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is why CCW where you can, load quickly (wink wink) where you cannot.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15790 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
In Baltimore there's a huge problem with dirt bikes and ATVs being on the road. Accidents happen regularly and they tend to travel in packs. The cops seize them, but it hasn't helped much, most of these guys don't have or can't get a license.

Posts: 721 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Those stupid crosses litter the roadside all throughout the mountains obscuring the scenery.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
While I carry, unless I am going to or coming from work, less lethal options are preferable to me. Quickly incapacitates, you can't assault, what you can't see.

https://www.lumaforce.com/prod...ht-weapons-mountable

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Maybe this will help.

There is a strong visual relationship between both things called squid in the context of foolish riding.

And is had nothing to do with a contraction of "squirrelly kid". (in the past when it was first heard used 70s)

I have seen a motorcyclist's head that looked something like that after impact

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, they can be hard to catch because they are fast, small and maneuverable, but it is still a command decision to some extent; you are unable to use the tools and the skills that you have to their full extent because you are not authorized and supported.

Even if you were allowed to chase they still have to stop.

Any attempt to physically stop a bike or ATV is essentially a deadly force incident due to the high probability of a crash and injury or death.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
So, they can be hard to catch because they are fast, small and maneuverable, but it is still a command decision to some extent; you are unable to use the tools and the skills that you have to their full extent because you are not authorized and supported.

Even if you were allowed to chase they still have to stop.

Any attempt to physically stop a bike or ATV is essentially a deadly force incident due to the high probability of a crash and injury or death.

I'm failing to see the problem here. As long as they give them the option to stop, the criminal bears all responsibility for the resulting consequences if they continue. Pit a couple or do roadblocks/spike strips, maybe word will get out and they'll stop their antics.

Fuck em, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Oh wait. None of this can be true. Reference my locked thread from a week or so ago. So bikers even came in and, like here, said they've never seen any of the bad behavior. Those folks may be blind, or more likely liars.

I'd like to thank Chongo for repeating the idea that cops just don't chase them. He repeated teh idea they can't catch them. Around here, the locals have said they don't want to because so many of the harley riders are retired cops. But they all know they can get away with their crap.

But be careful, the riders tend to group together, both here and on the roads. You dare not say anything bad about them, like they're Gods or something. Criminal gods I would submit.

But my respects to the riders who can ride that fast, often drunk. Who else rides after 2:00 AM? Anyone think they were babysitting?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my son was 15, he wanted to get his motorcycle license and get a sportbike.

I had seen how the sportbike riders around here ride. They rode in groups and constantly tried to outdo each other. I let him get his license and then bought him a V65 Magna. Yes, it had loads of HP and was fast, but not the kind of bike that he would ride with the gangs. He did not ride with those guys. He rides responsibly now and has another bike and 1800 V twin.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Get rid of the Helmet laws and let Darwin fix the problem. Not wearing a helmet? EMS doesn't respond.

Drones or cameras on the overpasses. Seriously enforce the offenders. Impound the vehicles, send the offenders in for hard time- smashing rocks, or digging ditches by hand. No gloves.

Get rid of the craziness that prevents enforcement of crimes. Oh wait! That would be silly! especially in today's world where illegal is a badge of honor.

/rant off

Posts: 1039 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Oh wait. None of this can be true. Reference my locked thread from a week or so ago. So bikers even came in and, like here, said they've never seen any of the bad behavior. Those folks may be blind, or more likely liars.

I'd like to thank Chongo for repeating the idea that cops just don't chase them. He repeated teh idea they can't catch them. Around here, the locals have said they don't want to because so many of the harley riders are retired cops. But they all know they can get away with their crap.

But be careful, the riders tend to group together, both here and on the roads. You dare not say anything bad about them, like they're Gods or something. Criminal gods I would submit.

But my respects to the riders who can ride that fast, often drunk. Who else rides after 2:00 AM? Anyone think they were babysitting?

Some agencies can and do chase. The NC SHP can chase. Lots of sheriff departments will chase until the wheels fall off.

But few municipalities, especially larger ones, allow chases unless for violent felonies. And some of them explicitly say in policy that motorcycles and ATVs will not be chased, period.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that you could stop them

Agencies won't allow a pursuit for simple mv violations. Plus the fact that the sport bikes , even in the 600 cc range can easily outrun any units. Stopping thrum would require driving as reckless as they do.

Better to let them crash and sweep up the remains.

NYPD did crush impounded vehicles a while back.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/142340957-story

quote:
Around here, the locals have said they don't want to because so many of the harley riders are retired cops. But they all know they can get away with their crap.

you saw fit to throw in a comment that has zero relevance to the topic. Where have you seen these gangs on Harleys? They are on sport bikes, dirt bikes and atv's. Yet you cite a totally different demographic with absolutely no connection to the topic. I'm guessing you don't have much experience in the area of motorcports because if you did, you'd know the vast majority of HD's will top out in the 90's. They don't outrun anyone.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Wow, several from Charlotte here.
Ive not seen them either but I've heard of days being "the day" the riders hit the streets.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as they give them the option to stop, the criminal bears all responsibility for the resulting consequences if they continue.

False.

Case law clearly makes law enforcement responsible for the results of any pursuit.

It's our fault, not their fault, if they crash or if they hurt themselves or someone else. They have the right to run, we don't have the right to chase.

The liability risk of a chase is weight against the payout that will be made to the suspect or other injured party. The equations is whether possibly catching the bad guy outweighs the cost of the lawsuit that WILL happen and that the jurisdiction WILL settle without a fight... paying millions to the criminal who caused the problem in the first place.

The main reason departments don't chase is we don't want to make the criminals rich.

As soon as the general public elects legislators who change that, we'll be happy to chase criminals. Until then, no so much.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Some day the directed EMP will be used to disable the electronics of running vehicles. Some day.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
More than once I have been on the scene where innocent people were killed because some idiot ran from police. That includes officers beink killed or injured. An officer must weigh the risk of pursuit against the risk of not catching the perpetrator. The presence of other traffic is an key factor. It's simply not worth the risk to pursue in urban areas or where other traffic is present for a simple traffic violation.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

I'm not the biggest fan of motorcyclists, they can be annoying, especially in a group with their retardedly loud pipes that can be heard from three counties over (and we got big counties out here). But goddamn, the hate you have for anything with fewer than four wheels, I ask this in all seriousness, which loved one did a motorcyclist screw and/or kill that caused you to build such venom for anybody on a bike?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17084 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rburg, that thread got locked because it offered nothing of value to the forum. Posts like that actually achieve the exact opposite result. There is a group I follow on social media that loves to find people who post shit like that then intentionally go to where those people are (their neighborhoods, houses, etc,) and crank up the ignorance and stunting to 11.

LE could catch a lot of these idiots without even letting it get to a high speed chance by monitoring social media.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I was seriously/kidding.

There are ways to engage this problem.

Drones with indelible dye packs.

Use specific micro markers (like Anti-Theft Dots/microdots) in the dye.

Vendors can supply specifically "numbered" packs, so that no two are the same and each is controlled so when it is deployed, it is known date, time, location, and no matter what anyone may put on their bike, it will never match a deployed marker.

Because once it is put to use and these fools start "dye splattering" their crotch rockets as a "fad" and attempt at making the dye identification useless as "everyone has it".

Unique and controlled/tracked deployment would help against that.

Nothing will ever change, until the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain it takes to change.

The problem exists because it is not "painful" enough for change.

Let's apply the "pain".

Truly, who believes that this infringes upon any "rights" anyone has to endanger others?

There are many sanctioned places and venues to get the rush people want.

And still anyone wanting to run the twisties and zip around can still do that, but if the po-leece try to stop and ticket you as they always have, you run, you dye.

And the other side of the coin with the groups that harass and cause obstruction, if caught, there are plenty laws that exist that can be charged against the groups. Apply them lavishly.
Skunk spray from drones.. Big Grin I'm finding more uses for skunk spray today.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post