SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driver in Texas using Private Property Tags - is this legal
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driver in Texas using Private Property Tags - is this legal Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Yep, front tags are ugly, even fugly.

They really screw up and take away the good looking front of the vehicle.

Who wants to see an ugly-assed tag on the front of a sexy Corvette or Ferrati/Maserati/Lambo or your new Bentley or Rolls?

Screw that.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some guy is running around with a tag on his pickup that says only "Private Property" He says he's had it for 7 months and cops don't give him tickets or even pull him over.

Only because they might have better things to do. I can't believe this could be operated legally on public roadways.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup…looks like one of those Sovereign Citizen clowns.

I personally think we should respect and acknowledge them, and toss them out over the border with their “private vehicle” to either Mexico or Canada since they don’t believe in participating in our society and laws and see if they can come back to “not their country”

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 10, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I see cars in CA all the time with no rear tag. I don't know how they get away with it unless it's code for judgment-proof illegal alien, so LEOs leave them alone.

I got a $1000 ticket for not having a current insurance card on me during a stop. In AZ they'll erase that with just a fax proving insurance at the time of the stop, which I did. But hell, when I pay $1800/yr and have only been stopped twice in 14 yrs here, I'd be a lot better off taking my chances on a $1000 fine once in a while. But then I'm not judgment-proof.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Texas requires 2 tags, one each front and rear.

Utah requires a front and rear plate too. Both my vehicles though only have the plate on the back. My wife's Tahoe doesn't have a front plate holder and neither does the new front bumper on my Jeep. So eff it, I ain't going out of my way to put them on.
IME, Texas actually enforces it. One of my welcomes to Texas in the 90s was the ticket for no front license plate. I had just moved down from a state that didn't require front license plates.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I see cars in CA all the time with no rear tag. I don't know how they get away with it unless it's code for judgment-proof illegal alien, so LEOs leave them alone.

It’s racist to enforce minor vehicle code violations in CA. Doing so leads to increased police interaction and we can’t have that. In Berkeley they’re debating turning such interactions over to non sworn unarmed civilians. The actual cops would be barred from such activities. Funny thing keeps happening though. The cops keep pulling over for minor infractions and keep finding prohibited folks with all kinds of guns. I couldn’t make this shit up if I tried.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
IME, Texas actually enforces it. One of my welcomes to Texas in the 90s was the ticket for no front license plate. I had just moved down from a state that didn't require front license plates.

I've gotten lucky so far.
My F150 actually advised removing the front plate when towing, so I never put it on as I was regularly towing a trailer.
My Mercedes, I didn't want to drill holes in the bumper. 2 years with no front plate.
Current car doesn't have a front mount, Oregon car originally.

Only ever got stopped in my Acura, constable verbally took my info after I informed her of my CHL. Released with a warning.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The Articles of Confederation make it OK.
Besides, he's not driving around, he's travelling ...
Big Grin

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Looks funny, probably seems like it would be a cool story to tell your buds (until you got caught), but my life is too short to go looking for that kind of trouble. YMMV. Big Grin

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had a front license plate in Texas for at least 15 years. And yes, I didn’t want to drill holes into the front bumper of a nice car. The local cops don’t care. Only the State Troopers care, and only if they are bored. Got one warning from the State Troopers about 8 years ago.

And even the large pic still looks Photoshopped to me. How is the license plate pristine when everything else is covered in dirt and grime?

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
It looks photoshopped to me.

Look at the shading and lack of opaque brown/grey patina and rectangular "deep black" region around the lettering. The contrast is not realistic. Convenient fuzzing around the letters in an otherwise hi-res photo...

Someone put a lot of effort into it, but they are still retarded IMO.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend was called for jury duty at our local JP court. A Sovereign Citizen was contesting a ticket for no current tags. Verdict was Guilty, pay the fine. While headed back to his car, my friend saw the car belonging to the Sovereign Citizen. It still didn't have current tags.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder how many skirt the vehicle laws. I just met a guy with RV in CA with South Dakota plates - says he has never been to SD but has PO Box there and registration is $800/yr less. Did not ask if he pays CA state taxes.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I live in the capitol of phony temporary tags. There are literally people here who obtain auto dealership licenses, but all they use them for is to print up & sell temporary dealer tags. They sell them out of their house, at flea markets, on FB Marketplace, etc.

The people who buy & use these tags don't register & pay tax on their cars. Most of them are also driving uninsured. Some of them don't have valid licenses.

There is a massive black market in TX for temporary tags. If it were legal to drive on public roadways w/ "private property" tags, all the illegal motorists here would be on it in a heartbeat.

Sounds like you live in El Paso.

I've seen paper tags here on commercial vehicles that expired in February 2020.

One asshole here who lives in the neighborhood gets a new paper tag every few months, been doing that for 2 years now.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I live in the capitol of phony temporary tags. There are literally people here who obtain auto dealership licenses, but all they use them for is to print up & sell temporary dealer tags. They sell them out of their house, at flea markets, on FB Marketplace, etc.

The people who buy & use these tags don't register & pay tax on their cars. Most of them are also driving uninsured. Some of them don't have valid licenses.

There is a massive black market in TX for temporary tags. If it were legal to drive on public roadways w/ "private property" tags, all the illegal motorists here would be on it in a heartbeat.

I pulled up behind a minivan that had about 12 temporary tags.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This has got to be Sovereign Citizen nonsense, or something like it.

Use your common sense. Do you think this will pass muster?

However, are you sure this isn't photoshopped?

Here in Virginia, it is (or was) legal to put a tag that said "farm vehicle". And that was all that was necessary. No license plate, no plate fees, etc. I have not been down in Virginia farm country for a while but have heard nothing that would indicate it is no longer legal. Over the years, I have seen a number of pick ups with "FARM VEHICLE" painted on the tailgate.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I assisted on a traffic stop early this morning on a vehicle with a fake temp tag. The vehicle’s Texas registration was expired in 2020, and the correct plate was still displayed on the front. The guy had forgotten to remove it, but he did, however, remember to remove the window sticker.

Photoshopped or not, you need no registration for off road use only. It would be a mess if we had to register race cars and other vehicles not used on public roadways/highways.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put my ass on the line to be made an example of but anyone else who screws the government out of getting any more of our hard earned money gets an atta boy from me.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Problem is if you enforce a minor motor vehicle infraction, which these are, and shit goes sideways and end up in a use of force or deadly force situation, a prosecutor of the Soros ilk, be it at state or federal level can make your life a living nightmare, let alone all
The BLM, DOJ, ACAB, ACLU and Democrats in general. Sadly it may be wiser to pick and choose what interactions are worth it. Darren Wilson did his job, Mike Brown was trying to kill him, and what has happened to him. No way saying abandon your morals, but don’t sacrifice yourself for foolishness.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Are you sure its plated in Texas?

Missouri does not issue two plates for 3/4 ton trucks. The single plate goes on the front. Their reasoning is the truck will be used to tow a trailer and the rear plate will be trashed anyway.

Now there are a bunch of retards running around in 1/2 tons with front plates only. The 5-0 doesn't seem to care. There are also a bunch of idiots running around with temp tags that expired over a year ago and I don't see them doing anything about that either.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post