SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driver in Texas using Private Property Tags - is this legal
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driver in Texas using Private Property Tags - is this legal Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
From a friend in TX:

Interesting idea, imagine a state trooper and/or judge will enlighten him on TX tag law. Under what circumstances would this be a legal way to tag your vehicle. Google didn't find anything.

quote:
Some guy is running around with a tag on his pickup that says only "Private Property" He says he's had it for 7 months and cops don't give him tickets or even pull him over. He says it's legal and maybe he's found a loophole to exploit, who knows. It will be interesting to watch and see how far he goes with it.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm envisioning busted windows and being a k9 chew toy in his future as this sounds like something a sovereign citizen would do...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
(Check's calendar, isn't Sunday, is confused.)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
tatortodd, I know you're an immigrant like I am, but there are plenty of places in Texas where someone would try it just to see if they got away with it.

I wonder (just to cover the technical base) whether or how often the pickup's been on public roads.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder (just to cover the technical base) whether or how often the pickup's been on public roads.

Guy said he's running around town with it on the truck... tailgate says Paris, so it's in the country

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
He's creating joinder (or not) not too sure about these folks.

Stay tuned for future episodes as hilarity ensues.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This has got to be Sovereign Citizen nonsense, or something like it.

Use your common sense. Do you think this will pass muster?

However, are you sure this isn't photoshopped?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Not questioning the authenticity of "your friend," but, the tag is curiously clean compared to rest of the truck given it's been on there for seven months.

I would think if he's strictly using it on private land, nobody would notice or care. However, on the public roadways that would be a different matter. Seems to me reason enough for a traffic stop. Although, you may want to visit the Texisms thread...fun read...

I will tell you in Ga you're allowed to use the same year of issue tag as the classic car it's on. You're still issued a plate and it must be kept current; just keep it in the vehicle. Law enforcement thinks nothing of it.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks Photoshopped .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I live in the capitol of phony temporary tags. There are literally people here who obtain auto dealership licenses, but all they use them for is to print up & sell temporary dealer tags. They sell them out of their house, at flea markets, on FB Marketplace, etc.

The people who buy & use these tags don't register & pay tax on their cars. Most of them are also driving uninsured. Some of them don't have valid licenses.

There is a massive black market in TX for temporary tags. If it were legal to drive on public roadways w/ "private property" tags, all the illegal motorists here would be on it in a heartbeat.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure it's not photoshopped, I cropped and reduced it for the board, here is is full size, you can see the guy taking the picture in the tailgate, and the tag doesn't look photoshopped.

Was thinking sovereign citizen joinder stuff as well, although why would you want to advertise it for all to see.

Heres the full size, sorry for those with little screens...

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
That is about as legal as the "license applied for" that some people try and use........................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ow Ow Ow!!! I detest those knee-knockers!

Texas requires 2 tags, one each front and rear. I wonder if there is one at the front? I’ve seen a few Texas vehicles without a front tag out driving around and upon asking I was told the owner hates front tags cuz they’re ugly and they’re taking chances, and keep the front tag inside with them.

I’d say it’s illegal Link

Or: Of it’s a farm or ranch truck and never leaves to drive on public roads a plate is not required. Sort of like Red Dye Diesel situation. I believe this is true in my State.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder if he's "self-Insured" as well.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Pretty cut and dried. (most states, including Texas)

A person shall register a vehicle within 30 days of purchasing the vehicle or becoming a resident.

A vehicle must be registered for any portion of a year that it is operated on public roads.

Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 502.040

Unregistered, and off private property or roads, you are breaking the law.

I am not risking putting my neck in a loophole using a loophole to keep a few bucks in my pocket.

Consider the cost of taxes, registration and other fees to the overall cost of owning and operating a vehichle.

People piss away more money on stupid shit every year than they realize to get hung up on this stuff.

And if you life is so meaningless that this "sovereign citizen" crap is so important, than take the beatdowns, losses and embarrassment that you reap when harvest time comes.

If you really want to effect or fight the "evil" of the laws of this land you believe unjust, then fight the many things that are obvious and daily being dealt with through the political system in place.

Consider the "Pauls" (Ron/Rand) type of folks.
Not the majority, but they have voice, and they get things done.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I live in the capitol of phony temporary tags. There are literally people here who obtain auto dealership licenses, but all they use them for is to print up & sell temporary dealer tags. They sell them out of their house, at flea markets, on FB Marketplace, etc.

The people who buy & use these tags don't register & pay tax on their cars. Most of them are also driving uninsured. Some of them don't have valid licenses.

There is a massive black market in TX for temporary tags. If it were legal to drive on public roadways w/ "private property" tags, all the illegal motorists here would be on it in a heartbeat.

To the tune of millions in lost revenue to the state, from what I've last heard about it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
[glass shattering]

"TASER, TASER, TASER!!!"

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Sovereign Citizen.
Go on YouTube, a lot of videos on these people who don't think they need to register vehicles of have a drivers license.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see this guys future. Speaking the immortal words of Andrew Meyer in 3, 2, 1,... "Don't tase me, bro!" Big Grin

And then his "Joinder" gets broke.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Texas requires 2 tags, one each front and rear.

Utah requires a front and rear plate too. Both my vehicles though only have the plate on the back. My wife's Tahoe doesn't have a front plate holder and neither does the new front bumper on my Jeep. So eff it, I ain't going out of my way to put them on.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post