SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Couple Lives Permanently On A Cruise Ship Because It’s Cheaper Than Paying For A Mortgage
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple Lives Permanently On A Cruise Ship Because It’s Cheaper Than Paying For A Mortgage Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
I talked to my SMokin' hot wife last night about this and she said she could and would do this. We are this couples age, hmmmmmmm. We do love cruising

Couple Lives Permanently On A Cruise Ship Because It’s Cheaper Than Paying For A Mortgage

Angelyn Burk and her husband Richard have been in love with the sea for as long as they can remember — as early as 1992 for Angelyn when she first set sail on a cruise ship.

The happy couple would plan annual — or sometimes bi-annual — cruise trips to sail across the globe, but it just wasn’t enough.

After crunching the numbers, Angelyn and Richard discovered that living on the sea was cheaper than living on land.

The couple now lives full-time on a cruise ship instead of paying for a mortgage.
They realized that they could live the rest of their lives on a cruise ship for as little as $43 a day, and could make their dream a reality with some preparation.

53-year-old Angelyn, who worked as an accountant, figured that they could live their dream lifestyle by relying on a combination of savings and the anticipated sale of their home in Seattle.

In early 2021, the couple decided that they would put their plan of retiring and setting sail in motion, retiring and setting sail in May that same year.

“Our original plan was to stay in different countries for a month at a time and eventually retire to cruise ships as we got older,” Angelyn said. “

We love to travel and we were searching for a way to continuously travel in our retirement that made financial sense.”

Fortunately, through loyalty memberships, and taking advantage of sales discounts, they could retire before long, and that it made more financial sense than a mortgage.

“We have been frugal all our lives to save and invest in order to achieve our goal,” she said. “We are not into materialistic things but experiences,” as is visible by the fact that they left home with one suitcase each.

“We don’t plan to permanently live on land in the future,” Angelyn said, adding that they could likely count the number of times they slept on land in the last year since setting sail on one hand.

Ever since their departure, they’ve meticulously planned out their routes, how long one cruise trip will take to finish before the next one begins, and the family members they would spend time with when those timelines didn’t match up.

They’ve visited the Adriatic Sea, seen the sights all over Europe, have been to Sydney, and claim Singapore, Italy, Canada, Iceland, and the Bahamas as some of their favorite locations that they’ve reached entirely by sea.

“I believe this is achievable for the everyday cruiser, but it does take effort,” Angelyn said. “It is leisurely travel without the complications of booking hotels, restaurants and transportation, while staying within our budget.”

According to Angelyn, there are no drawbacks to life on the sea, but you might want to think twice about doing it if you get motion sickness easily.

She also suggests trying long-term cruise trips first before committing your entire life to being on the water, but it’s entirely for those who are committed to doing it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/trav...42fc982a33637869c1ff

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
interesting, thanks for posting!

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to Angelyn, there are no drawbacks to life on the sea

I can think of several...

This seems like one of those ideas that could work well while you're still healthy and if everything goes exactly as planned, but falls apart with the slightest unexpected bobble.

Take COVID. How long were cruise ships completely anchored? 12 months? 18 months? What's the plan if the cruise industry shuts down again? Or in 20 years, cruise ships are outlawed due to their contributions to climate change?

What happens when the port you're supposed to depart from has to be evacuated of cruise ships due to an incoming hurricane?

Also, 53 is relatively young. What happens as you age and need access to more regular medical appointments and treatments? What does someone with mobility issues do when you're stuck on a boat in rough seas?

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Until you get sick and need a doctor. Or you are no longer ambulatory.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
And if you have no mortgage and no rent payment, then it's a lot more expensive than staying on land.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I like to travel. Probably more than most.

But living on a cruise ship and seeing nothing but cruise ports seems pretty miserable. It's like taking all the worst parts of travel (constantly being in transit, being around other tourists, and tourist trap attractions) and just making that your 24/7.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
First thing that hit me was how long is the turn around between cruises and will they be allowed to stay on board while the ship is re-fitted for the next cruise? That could happen as often a weekly and be from several hours to a few days.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
First thing that hit me was how long is the turn around between cruises and will they be allowed to stay on board while the ship is re-fitted for the next cruise? That could happen as often a weekly and be from several hours to a few days.

It sounds like they don't intend on staying on the same ship, but rather planning successive cruises on various ships and visiting friends and family in between.

It's nothing new though, I've read of people doing this before and some cruise lines offer months long and year-long itineraries.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Until you get sick and need a doctor. Or you are no longer ambulatory.

And you get kicked off at the next port Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I would way 500lbs, anything you want to eat 24/7.

Hell if it wasn't for my pooch I'd go for it.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cannot handle the tiny cabins. Some people live in their RVs. Could live in Death Valley as some folks do. Nice and cheap. Each to his own.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
You can stay on a ship during turnover and keep your room. I know people that do it a lot. But one trip to ship doctor and budget is blown.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The World is one residential cruise ship where you could set up permanent residence.

https://aboardtheworld.com/

https://youtu.be/BZkqy7yh1pc

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The World is one residential cruise ship where you could set up permanent residence.

https://aboardtheworld.com/

A boat like this would make for a great Die-Hard-ish Movie - holding all those rich people hostage - the ransom could potentially fuel some nations. Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
.....Thinking outside the box.....if I walked around in a speedo I'd have the whole ship to myself.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, when they go on vacation, do they fly to Cleveland in January and sit in somebody's living room?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

It sounds like they don't intend on staying on the same ship, but rather planning successive cruises on various ships and visiting freeload off of friends and family in between.

It's nothing new though, I've read of people doing this before and some cruise lines offer months long and year-long itineraries.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read an article that a bunch of people bought nice boats and just paid slip fees and lived on them in California much cheaper than buying a house. A permanent cruise ship sounds like my worst nightmare but they seem to love it.

It’s not like they are buying so they can switch directions at any point in life I suppose. If that price includes food it does sound pretty cheap, much cheaper than I live that’s for sure.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
It includes food 24/7 and most mid tier and higher cruise lines includes drinks too

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Live my life in a a 12x16 room and on the Lido deck?

No thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post