SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend me a pellet rifle --Purchase Made update in post #1 Now with review on pg3.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend me a pellet rifle --Purchase Made update in post #1 Now with review on pg3. Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
You did very well in your choices here. Enjoy!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16266 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
81chop,

Put some Dynamat on the backside of the pellet trap. The noise will become a dull thud and barely noticeable.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14044 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
Great idea. I have some generic stuff here that should do the trick.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fabulous looking gun. I bought a Gamo whisper something a couple of years ago and it does the trick but it's anything but whisper quiet.

Posts: 3937 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stock is beautiful on that gun. Not a flaw anywhere.

Put a magazine or two in the pellet trap and it will absorb the pellets and noise, either directly behind the target or the back wall.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It's amazing what a GOOD air rifle will do to change ones opinion of "BB guns". Congrats you got a great rifle with a great trigger.

I have air rifles that a much nicer then my firearms. They are fun, challenging and addictive. Smile

50 yards with the Air Arms.

Enjoy. Shoot safe.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7706 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. I've got a RWS mod 34 .177 that I've had for about 25 years but I haven't shot it a long time. This thread is an inspiration. Smile

Posts: 4708 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
It's amazing what a GOOD air rifle will do to change ones opinion of "BB guns". Congrats you got a great rifle with a great trigger.

I have air rifles that a much nicer then my firearms. They are fun, challenging and addictive. Smile

50 yards with the Air Arms.

Enjoy. Shoot safe.

Gorgeous stock on that one.
What scope do you have? It looks almost identical to the one I got.

Have to agree. I've played with the cheap BB and pellet guns years ago and they really didn't do much for me. This one, on the other hand is really getting me into it.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I figured out that the loudness I reported on page 2 was from the pellet hitting the wood backstop.

Without the backstop, the sound is about like one of those 1960s toy pop gun lever-action rifles.

Posts: 4018 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Its a Leapers Accushot 3-12. I prefer Nikon and Hawke for my air rifles but I have to say I have been favorably surprised with this scope.

I too remember having the Walmart Gamo or whatever airgun in the sporting goods isle and thinking they were just toys.

I got my first real German air gun and I was SHOCKED at the difference in feel, build, accuracy, trigger etc. etc. etc.

I have said it before and I will say it again my HW30s rifles are better in basically every measurable and intangible way then any out of the box Ruger 10/22 with the only exception being repeat shots and power of the cartridge both of which really only come into play for hunting not target shooting and I am not a hunter.

My airgun hobby is just about as robust as my firearm hobby and they compliment each other nicely. However one of these days I am absolutely going to have to find cheaper hobbies like hookers and heroin.

If you want to make a pellet trap that will last a literally for damn ever here is my recipe.

Go to Lowes or Home depot.
-Buy the cheapest all steel electrical junction box you can find
-Buy 10 or 12 bricks of electrical duct seal (Monkey shit)/looks like bricks of C4
-Buy a set of rubber feet
-Buy a cheap handle
-Buy a couple binder clips/screws

Gut the junction box. Drill and mount the feet on the bottom. Drill/mount the clip/clips on the top front. Mount handle on top.

Once doing these start packing and molding the duct seal into the box. You honestly don't need that thick of a layer but I tend to always errr on the side of thicker. That being said between the duct seal (which your pellet will likely never get through) and the steel box that pellet is staying put. Clean out/remold every year or two and you are good to go.

Here are a couple of mine.
This is my first one, it is smaller and packed to the gills with duct seal. Like stop a .22 LR packed to the gills. I have now been using it for about 16/17 years or so.

This is the newer bigger one that I used less duct seal and sized for 8.5x11 paper. As you can see the duct seal traps the pellet and makes for a totally silent impact.

Vacuum them out from time to time and use a shoe box lid or other tray to capture the trash as it builds up.
Chris

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cslinger,

Posts: 7706 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Is that a custom stock on the Air Arms TX200?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It's a ProSport walnut and no, I just won the stock lottery. Came out of the box basically like that. It's only seen some coats of ballistol.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
That is the nicest stock I have seen for out of the box standard walnut.

I shoot rifle and shotgun left handed and the stock comb on the right handed TX200 does not work well for the left handed shooter.

I need to fine a comb pad or get rid of both of them since they are not pleasant to shoot with the comb curved over and hitting you in the cheek.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
They make lefty TX200s I believe.