SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend me a pellet rifle --Purchase Made update in post #1 Now with review on pg3.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend me a pellet rifle --Purchase Made update in post #1 Now with review on pg3. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Quit messing around. You need a .50 caliber air rifle or an air shotgun.

http://www.topairgun.com/50-cal-air-rifles

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Many tree rats have fallen to my Gamo Whisper. It should be noted that it won't sound that quiet to the shooter, but anyone downrange won't hear as much. Just the way it works.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Many tree rats have fallen to my Gamo Whisper. It should be noted that it won't sound that quiet to the shooter, but anyone downrange won't hear as much. Just the way it works.

Pecan trees are the squirrels delight. They eat their fill and then take a break out on a limb while the others continue to feed. After a few shots, the tree becomes alive with squirrels running every which way with some of them jumping to the ground to escape. Big Grin

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Quit messing around. You need a .50 caliber air rifle or an air shotgun.

http://www.topairgun.com/50-cal-air-rifles

Ha! Instant fertilizer.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I had both the models 48 and 34 RWS Diana and they were fine rifles.
But holy cow they were loud. I ended up selling both.

Currently I use a pump Benjamin blue streak in 5mm cal and it kills tree rats perfectly.
I think it's an old model 397? I'll look in the morning.

The Colibri subsonic work great out of a .22, and I have an old Rem 514 downstairs by the door
For critters.

Posts: 3586 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Benjamin Nitro piston.
The .177, with pointed projectiles, does a fine job on rabbits and woodchucks.
I attempt to take only head shots and these projectiles will go through the rabbit's head.
Last woodchuck shot, just collapsed after being hit.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
The one thing I do know is you can't get anything worth a damn for that price.
Now if you want equipment that works look at a Benjamin Marauder .
Between 5-6 hundred ,good scope 3 more.
Air tank used about 150.
pellets ,mine shoots RWS from Pyramid air
This is my fifth gun in this field,finally got a real one.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another happy RWS Diana 34 owner here. It dispatches tree rats all winter long. If I had to do it over I would get the 22 caliber for hunting. The air gun is a bit loud . I think part of the noise issue is due to the fact that the pellet is going super sonic.

Posts: 23 | Location: Western NY  | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I've got a Gamo, not sure what model. When I got it, I tried just lead pellets in it, and was disappointed, as it was as loud as my .22

Researched and found pellets that were much quieter, now I am happy with the accuracy & the low noise, as neighbors don't notice use.

If you need more info, I can get it, just too lazy tonight.

I've a Gamo as well, and agree with some others that it's a decent utility rifle, pretty accurate!

After being shocked at the .22-like rifle crack of the first couple shots, a little online reading learned me up on them doing that for the first several shots until the manufacturing oil in barrel is worn away. After about 20-25 shots it was much, much quieter.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
The one thing I do know is you can't get anything worth a damn for that price.
Now if you want equipment that works look at a Benjamin Marauder .
Between 5-6 hundred ,good scope 3 more.
Air tank used about 150.
pellets ,mine shoots RWS from Pyramid air
This is my fifth gun in this field,finally got a real one.

I don't know about today's world in air guns. But as a kid 25 years ago I had a crossman 66 (I think was the model) pump air gun. I put 1000s and 1000s of bb's and pellets through that thing and it was accurate and just kept going and going. I don't think you need anything terribly expensive to take out a squirrel once in a while.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
The Benjamin Marauda had built in baffles to make it quite,if you leave at factory settings.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
81chop - please PM me. I MAY have some helpful info. THANKS!

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtedescucci:

Now, I sure feel like a dummy. I can't figure out how to pm you.

45 Cal - After looking at a ton of rifles last night and a lot of reading, I now know I need to raise my spending limit some. This really isn't going to get used a lot so I'm going to need to find a good happy medium between price and quality.

The Diana 34 and a couple others that have really good reviews average around the 300 dollar mark, so looking in that price range now.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m_miller:
Another happy RWS Diana 34 owner here. It dispatches tree rats all winter long. If I had to do it over I would get the 22 caliber for hunting. The air gun is a bit loud . I think part of the noise issue is due to the fact that the pellet is going super sonic.

Yes. The .22 version will be subsonic and much quieter. It's not cheap but you can really reach out and touch things.

I have a 3x9 scope on it and was told it had to be one specifically for those guns due to the different recoil. Not 100% sure that is true but I do love that setup. I use it regularly.

The Superdome .22 pellets seem to have the best punch. I tried other shapes and they were the best.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info on this site. I ended up with an RWS 350 Magnum.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1223 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 81chop:
quote:
Originally posted by jtedescucci:

Now, I sure feel like a dummy. I can't figure out how to pm you.

45 Cal - After looking at a ton of rifles last night and a lot of reading, I now know I need to raise my spending limit some. This really isn't going to get used a lot so I'm going to need to find a good happy medium between price and quality.

The Diana 34 and a couple others that have really good reviews average around the 300 dollar mark, so looking in that price range now.

I understand,I have to broke Benjamin Sheridan's in the garage,I am just tired of replacing seals
That and blown rotatory cups .
It was pricey for me but the damn pest were getting more of my crop than I.

posted Hide Post
Benjamin Titan NP .22 Caliber Break Barrel Air Rifle with Scope.

Nitro piston.

Low end of your price range.

Just works.

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeSig
posted Hide Post
One thing to be aware of is with regards to scopes.

Regular rifle scopes cannot handle the forward then backward impact dynamic that is inherent on spring-based guns. It will wipe out the reticles.

I actually know individuals who tried Leopold scopes on air rifles only to find the cross-hairs in bits at the bottom of the inside of the scope tube.

I have a Theoben TX20 .22 side cock one-pumper that clocks 800 FPS. Have special scope on it to handle the dynamic I mention above.

I believe Hawke makes a really nice array of air rifle scope spec'd out for your application.

Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria, Sola Scriptura

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
If you want to go all out, try one of these

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog...rt-air-rifle-part-1/

I have had mine for quite a few years, and it will definitely do the job, but it will cost twice the price of a 10/22.

Archerman

Posts: 2500 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
Found a couple at Airguns of Arizona that interested me.

Diana Model 340 N-Tec Panther
http://www.airgunsofarizona.co...0-n-tec-panther-.22/

Diana Model 340 N-Tec Classic
http://www.airgunsofarizona.co...0-n-tec-classic-.22/

RWS Model 34 Pro Compact
http://www.airgunsofarizona.co...-compact-.177-combo/

RWS Model 34
http://www.airgunsofarizona.co...on/rws-model-34-.22/

Also heard the .177 is more accurate than a .22. True or not?

Which powerplant is better, spring piston or gas piston?

Also, in the lower budget, locally I can get a Gamo Raptor .22 for $148.99 and a Gamo Bone Collector Maxim .22 for $198.99. Both looked good for the price, and made in Spain, not China.

Any advice on which way I should go? Sorry, I didn't know there were so many options for these.