SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend me a pellet rifle --Purchase Made update in post #1 Now with review on pg3.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend me a pellet rifle --Purchase Made update in post #1 Now with review on pg3. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a RWS that shoots nice.

But 22 CB caps or even 22 shorts can be quieter than a pellet gun, if they are legal for your purpose.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
That would still considered as using a firearm with those and not legal in the city limits here.

The noise isn't really a huge deal, I just don't want to draw too much attention.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
if you want something that will just keep on working get a daisy 880 i have been varmint killing since i was 10 with one
https://www.amazon.com/Daisy-O...1-2&keywords=Pump+BB

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We can't use pellet guns to shoot any game animal except squirrels in Texas. Laws differ, obviously.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 81chop:

Also heard the .177 is more accurate than a .22. True or not?

Negative.

The .177 is used at low power levels in 10m competition (including Olymnpic). Pistols and rifles used are megabuck ultra high end pieces.

.177, .20, ,22, and .25 in the right weapons will be extremely accurate. The heavier pellets will not shoot as flat as lighter ones, so understanding the ballistic trajectory and useful ranges is more challenging but astounding accuracy is attainable. The lighter ones tend to run out of steam and drop like a rock unlike the heavier ones that continue on a parabolic arc. The advantage of heavier fodder is of course the foot pounds of energy at impact.

For target shooting .177. For small varmints .22.

As for power plants don't fall into the magnum high fps ratings trap of offerings. For one thing manufacturers usually inflate their fps rating by using ultra light pellets which really are all but useless in the real world. Second the high compression jobs are loud, plagued with fatigue inducing heavy cocking effort, and tend to be much less accurate that moderate or normal fps output fare. Either of the designs you mention if properly implemented can be reliable. Shot placement, as with firearms, is key.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There are lots of RWS 34 models on gunbroker for around $225+:

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/B...rds=(RWS++34)&Sort=4

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The model 34 is pumped by working the barrel. Only problem is that if you use a scope, the scope is mounted on the receiver. After about 200 rounds the barrel pivot wears enough that accuracy goes away, way away. That model might work well with the open sights, though.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
The model 34 is pumped by working the barrel. Only problem is that if you use a scope, the scope is mounted on the receiver. After about 200 rounds the barrel pivot wears enough that accuracy goes away, way away. That model might work well with the open sights, though.

Haven't heard of that problem before now. Hopefully it is not widespread.

I have been shooting mine for years and the accuracy hasn't changed. I do have a scope as well. I'd have to look but I believe it is an RWS scope specifically for their guns.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update:
RWS Diana 34 .22 is the winner!

It may be a little higher then my initial price range, but sounds like it's worth it.
Dave

Outstanding!
Please post your opinion of it when you get it.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

Mine is the fancy stock RWS 36 and has been shot many times past 200 rounds. Too bad the squirrels aren't talking either. Big Grin

This is the first time I have heard of the pivot wearing. What I like is the adjustable trigger. Makes a big difference in the end.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The RWS 34 in .22 is an excellent choice. Get a quality scope and never look back!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Very nice pick, OP.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
Wish standard rifle scopes would hold up as I have a nice 1-4 power just sitting here. Frown

Going to make up a back stop for target shooting in the yard this next week, so that will be a fun little project.

I'll do a review after I get it and get a good number of rounds through it.

Another thing, some sites I looked at list it as a RWS Diana model 34 and some list it as a RWS model 34. The pics and specs I looked at are identical. I wonder if it's just different descriptions and the same rifle, or different rifles...Hmmm.

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I've been following this thread because of a rabbit problem in the back yard. I'm in a residential development but have no one behind me for maybe 150 yards. The rabbits are not more that 10 yards away.

A few hours ago I bought a Crosman Shockwave .22 NP pellet rifle for $100 (on sale at Academy).

I took 1 sighting-in shot and damn! it was loud - it seemed like a .22 short to me. No one in my house noticed and no neighbors came running out, so maybe it was just me.

At 10 yards the pellet penetrated a 15/16" ceiling tile backed with 1/2" plywood, but did not quite exit the plywood.

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Great choice.

No, standard rifle scopes are likely to be destroyed in short order. I believe Leupold might still be making scopes that are Airguns rated but double check.

If you are not familiar with shooting spring guns do not get discouraged if you find.....
"The gun sucks and won't group worth a darn"

The fact is spring guns are tough to shoot well and require a totally different technique then a powder burner. Use a LIGHT hold and let the gun recoil how it wants. Don't try to control the recoil. Also FOLLOW THROUGH, FOLLOW THROUGH, FOLLOW THROUGH. Look up artillery hold.

Some can require a tin to break in and settle down.

Don't buy the cheapest pellets you can find and expect great results. I have found crosman premiers to generally be the best stuff you will find locally and they are a good pellet.

Rifle shooting will not make you a better airgunner but air gunning will make you a better rifle shooter.

Enjoy, have fun, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7864 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Most new spring guns will "Diesal" a little early on. Basically they are igniting some of the grease/oils. This will make them loud. They will settle down.

NEVER DRY FIRE A SPRING GUN. This will likely kill your seals and be loud as hell.

That being said I think a lot of folks new to Airguns are shocked at how loud they can be.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7864 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wish standard rifle scopes would hold up as I have a nice 1-4 power just sitting here. Frown

Going to make up a back stop for target shooting in the yard this next week, so that will be a fun little project.

I'll do a review after I get it and get a good number of rounds through it.

Another thing, some sites I looked at list it as a RWS Diana model 34 and some list it as a RWS model 34. The pics and specs I looked at are identical. I wonder if it's just different descriptions and the same rifle, or different rifles...Hmmm.

Diana and RWS are the same thing in the US.. One is the importer/distributor if memory serves. Regardless they are the same gun.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The SWFA 6x happens to be a good springer scope. It can focus close and it is actually strong. I had a hell of a time with my Diana 34 and cheaper scopes...

Posts: 5226 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Walmart has the CenterPoint scopes that work on airguns.

If you have to dry fire the springer, use two cleaning pellets.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gam...621241254CP/46647653

Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
Said I would do a review, so here it is...

Bought the rifle (RWS 34 Classic) from Airguns of Arizona. They sent an order detail e-mail right away, then an invoice. When it shipped, they sent me shipping and tracking info for UPS.

Upon delivery, I noticed the box AOA used was quite large. When I opened it, I found lots and lots of packing peanuts. Have another box or bag handy when opening. After I dumped out most of the peanuts, I found the factory box. When I pulled that out, it was in perfect condition.

When I opened the factory box, the rifle was enclosed in a long plastic bag, which was cradled by foam blocks. One of the foam blocks was damaged, but the rifle was unscathed. In all, an extremely good job of packaging.

Pulled the rifle out of the bag (while vacuuming up all the foam that got away), and WOW! This thing is beautiful. Looked over the rifle and found it to be pretty much perfect. The stock is beautifully finished in a matte clear with absolutely zero flaws. The blueing on all the steel is nice and deep in color and very uniform.

In the box, there was the usual paperwork, plus some that AOA put in there. First I noticed this:

An inspection sheet with info on it. Opened that up and found a slip stapled to the inside:

Chrono results!!
This rifle is advertised to shoot UP TO 800 fps in .22 caliber. Chrono results show 887, 883, 844, 826, and 808. According to the paperwork, they used a Oehler 35P chronograph.

The scope and mount I got from Airgun Depot. Packaging was close to the same and they sent out all the e-mails like AOA did.

For the scope, I was looking for a good mid-line one that didn't break the bank, so ended up with a UTG 4-16x40 IE. The reason I went with this is every review I saw gave it five out of five stars, and listed as an extremely durable scope.

Now for some pics:

Kitty kept trying to get into the pics.

This morning I made up a pellet trap so I could shoot in the yard off the deck. Material used is 14ga stainless.

The first two shots seemed pretty loud, but I heard that's to be expected with a new air rifle. After that, they seemed really quiet. The pellets used were Benjamin Discovery .22 cal, 14.3 gr. hollow points.

Cocking the rifle was easy and smooth. When returning the barrel back to the shooting position, there is a very noticeable detent that tells you it's good. When cocking, the safety automatically engages, which took some time to get used to. The recoil is not harsh, but actually feels really smooth.

ETA: This rifle comes with the T06 adjustable trigger. This trigger is amazing! Smooth, no creep, breaks sharp and very, very light. Love it!

Results:

I have tons of these targets, so why not.
Not too bad considering it was 18-20 degrees today and windy. Target was 75 feet away, which is about the farthest I'll shoot in the yard. I'll get it dialed in more when it's warmer out and I'm not shivering.

The pellet trap was the loudest thing when shooting. The rifle stayed pretty quiet and the only thing even close to loud was the pellet hitting the back of the trap. The neighbor must not of even heard me shooting as he let his dog out without telling me. Just waited until she was done and back in the house to shoot again.

I'm very happy with everything about the rifle. The attention to detail on it, the way it shoots and how quiet it is. Very fun to shoot. The scope seems to be pretty good for what I paid. Seems to be built good. The glass isn't at the same level as the rifle scopes I have, but it's to be expected at the price point.