SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    whats the worst place you have gone to for work
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
whats the worst place you have gone to for work Login/Join 
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Fort lost in the woods

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll say NTC Fort Irwin, CA. Not so terrible once I got there, but the commute wore on both me and my car. Here is a stretch of the road leading to it from Barstow (not a fun place either).

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I worked at both WTC disaster sites. The 1993 bombing and post 9-11.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
When I was younger I worked as a CNA(nurse's aid) in a nursing home. Wasn't that bad until Mr.Smith died. He was a nice enough guy but was suffering from Diabetes, Cirrhosis, and Hepatitis. When he passed he just bled out everywhere. They sent me and another CNA in to clean him up. I'd have rather gone in there looking like an extra from Outbreak than in the disposable gown, gloves, and face shield I went in with.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
sears as an appliance delivery and installation.
19 bosses is 17 too many

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ft. Polk / Sleazeville, LA in the summer.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
As far as physical locations, an egg farm in Wadesboro NC. Deliverance really didn't sink in until my GPS quit out there.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I worked at both WTC disaster sites. The 1993 bombing and post 9-11.

9/11 site for me too was rough but not as rough as Iraq and Afghanistan thereafter

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have worked for some true D-bag bosses, jagoff corporatios and thankless shitheap jobs in my time, but nothing is really worth mentioning after reading many of these other posts.

Instead I'll just suffer minor vexations at my present job and consider myself lucky.

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Report This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Newark NJ, 1970, during the riots.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Saudi and Kuwait, horrible experience.

BTDT Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
It's a tie between a pediatric oncology ward and a burn unit.

I don't recommend either.

Agreed. I didn't "work" there but did therapy dog work with the kids. Coming back to visit kids and going into an empty room the next day was the main reason I stopped doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Capital One.

I tried this for a BRIEF time. I was promised a supervisor position and went thru training only to be told the position was filled but I was welcome to stay on as a call rep for 1/3rd the pay.

Probably the worst job I ever did was work as a roofer in my sophomore to junior summer. I was the "shingle by". My job was to carry the squares up the ladder - ALL DAY. On one of my last days there a guy tripped and fell off a 3rd story roof into a hot tar trailer. I visited him a couple of times but on the day he was admitted I went there and they were in his room with the curtain drawn around his bed pulling tar off of his body with pliers. I gave notice on the way home. He died a few days later. I attended his funeral. It was my first funeral that wasn't a relative of mine. I felt weird going being a kid, not really knowing him that well and also just quitting the job. All of his coworkers seemed to respect the fact that I attended though.

I would have preferred to have been there with a rifle!.... but that's BS I know. I didn't nearly have the danger you did.

That tar truck story is the most heinous thing I've ever read. My GOD!

Posts: 11380 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
For me it is the Godforsaken gun shop I work part time in.........for the next few days anyway.

Run by a mouth breathing knuckle dragging Redneck. Cant stand listening to the sumbitch.

And they get REAL TWITCHY if someone not wearing a suit and tie comes to the door. They are so nervous there that I watch them more closely than any potential robbers.

You own a retail store for Gods sake! Customers of all sorts need to come in in order for you to sell shit!

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

posted Hide Post
No contest for me--

Colombian Jungle.

AirmanJeff-- I feel your Cold Lake pain! Did a NORAD NOE there once with the IG. Mama, was it cold!

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

posted Hide Post
Probably Artcobell in Temple, Texas. Like most companies in the school furniture business, it is poorly managed, lousy inventory control, low wages, questionable staffing, old manufacturing equipment and etc.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Haiti would be up there.

It smells like you think it would.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
So does Mexico City...like a harsh slap to the face.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo

My cousin was a retired doctor, spent three years in the southern half of Africa managing a healthcare "mission" for a non-profit. The Congo was his most challenging experience. He particularly noted the airport (in which maybe you have some experience).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Worked South West Detroit while employed by the local gas company.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Erzurum, Turkey.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Turkey.

Came down off the hill once to look around. Took the next bus back up.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Report This Post