SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    whats the worst place you have gone to for work
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
whats the worst place you have gone to for work Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Berbera, Somalia, in 1982.

Posts: 318 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Bamako, Mali.
Funny, that was my #2.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yuncheng, shanxi china.

Most of china is shitty but the city of yuncheng tops the list for me.

-the air is so bad you'll choke
-brown waternout of the faucets
-constant power blackouts in the city
-crappy food (noodles)
-drunk drivers everywhere
-drunk coal men everywhere
-piles of garbage....everywhere

On the plus side, the local women are very interested in foreign men which was cool because I was the only foreign guy there.

I had to work there about 4 months.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Report This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Bamako, Mali.
Funny, that was my #2.

I spent a miserable 2 months there in 1980. I pray to NEVER return.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Alamogordo, NM about 15 years ago

Posts: 184 | Location: Great Falls VA | Registered: February 03, 2008Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Housing project in DC in the summer.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Special education teacher in a high school.
I'd retired from the military and was working as a substitute. The district I liked offered me a job and I took it.
My class was one main group of 20 kids and I taught multiple subjects during the day, plus had students come n for classes. I didn't have an aide while all the others teachers did. Half way through the year I discovered a actually had one. She didn't want to work with that class and it was agreed by the teachers not to tell me.
My students didn't last. It seemed any violation got them kicked out. My main class went from 20 to 2. Speaking to the principal, I discovered all my students were disruptors. Teachers were asked "Which student, if removed would let you teach the class?" Those I got. I was told "We sacrifice the few to help the many."
Talking some more to the principal, he said "Your job is safe. It's the worse in the school and nobody wants it."
I left in June.

From what I read so far, you win. Nothing like being a "valued contributor" at your place of work.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19641 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sewage treatment plant, SE Ga. Summer of 1971.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Crawlspace where a sewer line had broken, bad enough that I put on my 1/8" wetsuit with work coveralls over them.

Why did Dad teach me that you can't just take the good jobs, or you won't have any jobs?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
At one point in our exemplary past, our airline individually flew to more destinations in Mexico than AeroMexico and (now defunct) Mexicana. I'm here to tell you that a few of those destinations were real dung heaps. To be fair, most of them weren't, but the ones that sucked, REALLY sucked.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Housing project in DC in the summer.

Oh come on. Anacostia is beautiful in the summer. Sounds of crickets and gunshots just after dusk is so relaxing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
Flint, MI. And it was before the water problems too.

Used to live there....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
Newark New Jersey

For me, Trenton.

It's either that or South Boston.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Detroit

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Report This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
It's a tie between a pediatric oncology ward and a burn unit.

I don't recommend either.

I got lost in a hosp once and walked through that wing both my children were young at that time....this Marine was crying like a little bitch by the time I got out of there.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:
Twin Towers Correctional Facility, downtown Los Angeles. It was particularly fun when the power failed and the emergency lighting went on.

Happened to me at Camp Hill during "block out". A couple of hundred inmates allowed to roam free in the cell block and then lights went out. Emergency lights took what seemed like for ever to come on. I was against the wall and kept moving. Those bars of soap thrown at me all missed.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Toss up between Stockton, California and Juarez, Mexico.
Both shitholes and I was glad to leave.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Management Aide at a S.E. DC public housing project. Fresh out of college, experienced things I'll never forget The smell of a dead, bloated body in a unit...worst smell ever. Evicting mothers with crying kids, with no place to go. A toilet plugged up with a fetus. Knocking on doors of tenants who didn't pay rent. Inspecting units full of the stench of chittlins boiling on the stove and smell of shit on the floor.

Longest 9 months of my life but learned a lot.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Report This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Not for work, but Carbrini Green was the worst place I've ever been to. Especially after the Bulls won championship(s).

Second, for work, is the area around Prince Avenue in Wilmington N.C. Ask Chongo.

The job? WIC Fraud Investigation.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Downtown Atlanta.
Lucky Street, where the GA Aquarium sits now.

Was mugged twice in broad daylight.

My wife and i went there and to the coke cola museum co located with it yesterday. Due to the metal detectors we had to walk back to the car, i didn't feel that safe walking around Atlanta unarmed