SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    whats the worst place you have gone to for work
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
whats the worst place you have gone to for work Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Clear AFS, AK in early winter...only -20F for the HOT days.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
China 20 years ago.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
In HS I had a COOP job as a furniture stripper using some damn nasty chemicals. Fortunately that didn't last too long.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Downtown Atlanta.
Lucky Street, where the GA Aquarium sits now.

Was mugged twice in broad daylight.

My wife and i went there and to the coke cola museum co located with it yesterday. Due to the metal detectors we had to walk back to the car, i didn't feel that safe walking around Atlanta unarmed

Just be respectful and act like you belong there and nobody will fuck with you. Life's funny like that.

Bamf
posted Hide Post
Sangin, Helmand Province.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

Posts: 4599 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: November 12, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Grinding fiberglass in a factory that made in-ground fiberglass utility boxes. Almost no protection from the ground fiberglass. I was low man on the totem pole, so got the worst job. One week someone quit, and the next new hire jumped ahead of me. I soon quit.

I was 19 years old, it was a summer job. My father got me the job, as the owner was a client of his. I found out later that my dad made a deal with him to keep me grinding fiberglass as long as I work there. Father was a sociopathic closet bisexual attorney who hated me because I was not like him.

I found out later that the place closed down soon after I quit, probably for health and safety violations. Years later my lungs were x-ray'd and I have small clusters of walled off stuff in my lungs. Probably some or most of came from the fiberglass shop.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
North St. Louis County Municipal Court along with a handful of smaller municipal courts in other northern St. Louis suburbs

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Report This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
The 'Lead Building' at the Chamber Works in New Jersey. Where they made all the lead for leaded gasoline years back, and it was too dangerous to dismantle or demolish. Had to do maintenance in there, had to wear a space suit with an air hose to the outside.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Report This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Saudi and Kuwait, horrible experience.

BTDT Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
It's a tie between a pediatric oncology ward and a burn unit.

I don't recommend either.

Agreed. I didn't "work" there but did therapy dog work with the kids. Coming back to visit kids and going into an empty room the next day was the main reason I stopped doing it.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Capital One.

I tried this for a BRIEF time. I was promised a supervisor position and went thru training only to be told the position was filled but I was welcome to stay on as a call rep for 1/3rd the pay.

Probably the worst job I ever did was work as a roofer in my sophomore to junior summer. I was the "shingle by". My job was to carry the squares up the ladder - ALL DAY. On one of my last days there a guy tripped and fell off a 3rd story roof into a hot tar trailer. I visited him a couple of times but on the day he was admitted I went there and they were in his room with the curtain drawn around his bed pulling tar off of his body with pliers. I gave notice on the way home. He died a few days later. I attended his funeral. It was my first funeral that wasn't a relative of mine. I felt weird going being a kid, not really knowing him that well and also just quitting the job. All of his coworkers seemed to respect the fact that I attended though.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
When I graduated from business school the job market for MBA's was in the toilet. I grew up in the auto service industry so went an ops manager position working for one of the larger Jiffy Lube franchisee's was open I thought, "what the heck, I can do this till a real job comes up". That wound up being a big mistake.

The place was a sweat shop, worked their managers extreme hours, hired extensively from the local prisons. I was closing up a shop late one afternoon. Most of the staff was still in the store and a couple guys were waiting for their ride back to lock up. The guys started talking about their own experience with the law. After a while, I realized that out of nearly 20 employees, I was the only one that had never been in jail. Not a couple nights in lockup...real jail, drug dealers, felony theft, assault, etc. ...up the river jail time. I was like "I gotta get outta here quick". In addition, the owners were rather spectacular pricks. Everyone was a stupid Neanderthal in their mind and was in their employ to be exploited.

I could expound on this company forever, I think you get the general idea however.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Not for work, but Carbrini Green was the worst place I've ever been to. Especially after the Bulls won championship(s).

Second, for work, is the area around Prince Avenue in Wilmington N.C. Ask Chongo.

The job? WIC Fraud Investigation.

Oh yes. Creekwood. My most adventurous stories come from my years as a housing officer, much of that time spent in that project and surrounding areas. Wilmington has the most concentrated public housing development per area in the state. Probably in most states. We had 6 or 7, or 8, in a 4 Sq mile area, and 90% of all violent crime occurred within 1 mile of a housing project. The stories would put me in prison, in these days.

Myself...my years as a paramedic took me to some nasty places. But as a day to day job, working the fields of a tobacco farm up until I went to college did it for me. That was the 80s/90s, but we farmed damn near like they were doing in the 50s. Small, family farm, 30 acres of tobacco. Hot, hot, hot days, harvesting by hand, bent over pulling tobacco leaves off three or four at a time, plant by plant, for miles and miles of rows. Then putting it on a stringer machine (at least we had those), and hanging it in the stick barn. We had bulk, oil-fired barns, too...but I spent many a day climbing up into those stick barns.

To hell with that. I was the first person in my dad's family since at least the 1700s to not farm tobacco as an adult. Most of them on that very farm.

I'm OK with that. Even though it made them millionaires, and I've probably removed myself from ever benefitting from any of it...like Old Blue Eyes said...I did it my way, with absolutely zero help from them.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
Picture of frogger
posted Hide Post
This won't compare to some of the other answers, but when I was in college, I was working as a delivery driver for a local pizza shop. I had just been moved to a new location and didn't know all the ins and outs of that area yet. I took an order over the phone for an address that I didn't know was banned from deliveries (this was a long time ago when orders were taken with pen and paper and not entered in a computer where a warning would have flashed up telling me to refuse the order). It didn't get caught until the pizza was made so the manager made me deliver it. Turned out it was banned because 3 different drives had been robbed at gun point in that neighborhood before they just started refusing orders for delivery from there. I luckily was able to deliver the order without incident, but it was a VERY sketchy neighborhood and I was nervous as hell until it was in my rear view mirror.

••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5409 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: November 11, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Not for work, but Carbrini Green was the worst place I've ever been to. Especially after the Bulls won championship(s).

Second, for work, is the area around Prince Avenue in Wilmington N.C. Ask Chongo.

Oh yes. Creekwood. My most adventurous stories come from my years as a housing officer, much of that time spent in that project and surrounding areas. Wilmington has the most concentrated public housing development per area in the state. Probably in most states. We had 6 or 7, or 8, in a 4 Sq mile area, and 90% of all violent crime occurred within 1 mile of a housing project. The stories would put me in prison, in these days.

Myself...my years as a paramedic took me to some nasty places. But as a day to day job, working the fields of a tobacco farm up until I went to college did it for me. That was the 80s/90s, but we farmed damn near like they were doing in the 50s. Small, family farm, 30 acres of tobacco. Hot, hot, hot days, harvesting by hand, bent over pulling tobacco leaves off three or four at a time, plant by plant, for miles and miles of rows. Then putting it on a stringer machine (at least we had those), and hanging it in the stick barn. We had bulk, oil-fired barns, too...but I spent many a day climbing up into those stick barns.

To hell with that. I was the first person in my dad's family since at least the 1700s to not farm tobacco as an adult. Most of them on that very farm.

I'm OK with that. Even though it made them millionaires, and I've probably removed myself from ever benefitting from any of it...like Old Blue Eyes said...I did it my way, with absolutely zero help from them.

Tell me you don't miss the smell of the barn though!

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Report This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Jails and also death row (indirectly related to work)

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
January 31, 1968, Vietnam, the Tet Offensive

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
13 months 15 days over seas time Viet-Nam, (2) 3 month BLT deployments, 1 month firing exercise deployment, 6 months GITMO all at below minimum page scale and 40% disability of which 30% is agent orange related. Other than that a wonderful time was had by all.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
DC in 1988 when it had the highest murder rate in the country. We were walking through a section of the city highlighted by stripped cars in the road and "public dwelling ___" for the housing. Next closest was in Louisville a few years ago. The company we were meeting at specifically told us not to go any further east (IIRC the direction) and to leave their premises while it was still light. Public dwellings down the road here as well.

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Cleaning the hog manure out of hog barns with a scoop shovel. Yep, mostly liquid.

When I would get home my mother would make me hose down outside before I could go inside and take a shower.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Report This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
Former electrician.

New construction at a local hospital in psych ward.

To get in and out of work, we had to travel through the population of the area.

The old man in the wheelchair, he was a spitter....

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:

I can (somewhat) relate to the reality of tobacco farming. My grandpa had a tobacco farm in wester KY, around Paducah. My dad and uncles all worked the fields (by hand, of course) till they all went either to the military (drafted, mostly) or college (only 1 uncle). I've heard all the stories of how hot, misirable, and nasty the whole operation is. The experience you've shared here gives me a renewed appreciation for the men dad & uncles are. Thanks. My brothers & I are the first boys in generations that haven't worked tobacco fields. We turned out OK, due to the fact we were raised by a man of high character, forged in those fields.

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Report This Post