SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have I discovered a new tactic to use against scammers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have I discovered a new tactic to use against scammers? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
I’ve been getting a rash of calls supposedly about some sort of wonderful medicare coverage.
Usually it’s a Robert or Alan with a heavy accent and curry on his breath.
Just saying not interested hasn’t fazed them.
Now, I ask them, “What country are you calling from?”
The last two calls yesterday ended abruptly; one with a click and the other with an “F you, MFer.”
I know it was only two calls, but, by gum, the results were satisfying. YMMV Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Me: "What are you wearing? Do you have underwear on? What color is it?"

Him: "I will come there and fuck your mother."

Me: "OK, are you bringing ice cream?"

<click>

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I call them a banchode and hang up.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I do have a problem with them. I started a thread about how they are ruining our phone system. Somebody came in and said that all will be better or good in just a few days. Some law or ruling by someone will cure it all by saying phone companies will or are supposed to make sure they aren't spoofing numbers. Well, if that requires voluntary compliance by the "Bells", it was doomed to failure. The local phone companies are a huge part of the problem.

It seems we did have South Central Bell years ago, but the evil Cincinnati Bell bought them out and now its not worth a shit. Now I understand a Canadian company owns them/us. I've resisted dumping the land line because we've only had it since maybe 1974.

So far I've not found a solution to the scam callers. I do enjoy hearing others attempts, but I've tried so many and none have worked. None will work until Congress gets serious, but they won't because they want to give away more national debt. I've considered several solutions, the best so far is make my phone a toll call. If you call me, you've got to deposit a dime in my account. I'd give half of it to the Bell, or all of it as a credit against my phone bill.

I can't for the life of me figure out why some idiot in another country, on another continent thinks I'm going to do business with him/her. After all, they start the conversation or try to with a lie. Dealing with liars is a non-starter.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I enjoy telling them that my friend in Pakistan with ISI is going to visit them.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
I quickly tell them that I work for the State Police and that I am coming for them personally before they can hang up. hehehe.. drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Port your landline to google voice. Then disconnect landline. Keep giving out landline as contact number. Use cell. Save money

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on who calls on the line I give them...

I'm from the Social Security office; "Well that's interesting, I work for the Social Security Administration as well and this is the first I've heard of this. What department and office do you work at and please give me your badge number so I can get this sorted out"...Click

I'm from the IRS and you owe us money; "I know I do; I know I owe you $413,000 and that's why you should call my tax attorney. His number is 800-829-1040 (it's actually the local number for the IRS) and he can explain to you my agreement with the Federal authorities about turning myself in to serve my sentence. By the way, can I have your Federal ID number so I can ask the judge why I'm being harassed by the IRS"...Click

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I ask them if they’re wearing clothes and that they’re turning me on.

Typical response is: fuck you, muddafucka!!!

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have time for bullshit games . I just say " Not interested " . Click ...

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I don't answer if it's not in my address book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I practice my Slovak on them. My Slovak probably sucks balls but they have no idea what the fuck I am saying. All they know is the fucker they are calling is not talking the language they expected and they ultimately realize there is no way to ply their scam, after it wastes their time.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I punch whatever button you need to get a person, then mute the phone, put it on speaker and listen. They usually hang up after a few "hello's" but I like wasting a little bit of their time.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I don't answer if it's not in my address book.

If you have an iPhone, turn on Silence Unknown Callers. If the caller is in your contacts, it will ring through. If not, it goes to voicemail. If it’s important, they’ll leave a message.

Very seldom do they ever leave a message.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I don't answer calls from numbers I don't know, period.
If it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a message.

That way, I never have to play games with those jerks.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I play along and give "my name"
Mr Goan Feckyourself

Strangely they hang up after that

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I don't answer calls from numbers I don't know, period.
If it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a message.

That way, I never have to play games with those jerks.

What he said.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ & ^^^ Exactly like I do it.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
This makes me smile and laugh.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Answer the call then put your phone on MUTE. They can't leave a message that way and will then hang up. After they hang up, block the number.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post