New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Car Day Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you both!

I didn't know about the different final drive. I was aware, though, that the roof rack capacity on the Limited and the XT that I drove was something wimpy ... 75 pounds, if I remember correctly.

God bless America.

Posts: 13530 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I suspect the lower final drive ratio has something to do with the slightly larger tires. I haven't done the math though to see how many turns of the engine move it forward 100 feet. (I actually did do that math when I got my last mountain bike. I'm getting old, and I wanted to make sure that it would pedal at least as easily as my last one. I'm such a geek....)

Aeteocles does have the roof rack info right too. I'm not a roof tent guy (reference the "old" statement above, combined with need to more frequently get up at night - and don't suggest Gatorade bottle), but I will be carrying my mountain bike, kayak, Thule box, skis, etc.

Added plus - the back, with the seats folded down, is long enough for me to comfortably sleep in. And there are several places that make camp mattresses to fit, with wheel well cutouts, etc.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post