SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Misheard song lyrics.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Misheard song lyrics. Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Someone plays this at the gym a lot. Moody Blues - Wildest Dreams

I heard: In your wild island streams… when the music fades, once upon a time, in your wild island streams…

Metallica Sad but True, a guy I worked with thought it was Skelator (from the He-Man comics).



quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
 
Posts: 4823 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Rolling Stones , Satisfaction When I'm ridin' round the world and I'm doin' this and I'm signin' that
And I'm tryin' to make some girl, who tells me

Me: And I'm trying to make some girl, Pregnant.
 
Posts: 2026 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Forgot too mention that my little kid thinks the Nirvanas Smells like teen spirit song, says .....enchiladas and potatoes...when the lyric actually is ...”here we are now, entertain us”....

Don’t ask me...he’s ten


Is your son Weird Al?? That would explain it perfectly. Lot of good examples here that I’ve had issues with in the past that make me laugh. Thirty thieves and the Thunder Chief. A lot of weird example and probably my biggest one already mentioned here. I’ll have to see if I can think of another.




...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...
 
Posts: 2785 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Little Deuce coupe: I've got the pink slip Daddy.
I heard: I've got the big slip daddy. (a brand of clutch)

Love potion #9: The woman with the gold capped tooth
The woman with the gold tatto


Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
 
Posts: 4727 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep.

quote:
Little Deuce coupe


The lyric is:
"I've got the Pink Slip, Daddy"

California issued Pink titles.




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46615 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Bluegrass favorites:

"Make me a salad on your floor"

"Bowling on the sweet potato farm"



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33810 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I don't see that anyone has told of the origin of the term "mondegreen" for these mishearing.
There it is:

quote:
Etymology
In a 1954 essay in Harper's Magazine, Sylvia Wright described how, as a young girl, she misheard the last line of the first stanza from the ballad "The Bonnie Earl o' Moray" (from Thomas Percy's 1765 book Reliques of Ancient English Poetry). She wrote:

When I was a child, my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy's Reliques, and one of my favorite poems began, as I remember:

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl Amurray,
And Lady Mondegreen .[6]

The correct lines are, "They hae slain the Earl o' Moray / And laid him on the green ." Wright explained the need for a new term:

The point about what I shall hereafter call mondegreens, since no one else has thought up a word for them, is that they are better than the original.[6]


_________________________
“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. –Daniel Webster (1782-1852)"
 
Posts: 19628 | Location: Foothills of the Sierra Nevada | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
No. Limited slip differential. "Big slip, Daddy." I've heard it that way thousands of times over 60+ years.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Yep.

quote:
Little Deuce coupe


The lyric is:
"I've got the Pink Slip, Daddy"

California issued Pink titles.
 
Posts: 1473 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
There’s no sex in your violets

“In a Songfacts interview with Gavin Rossdale, he explained the meaning behind the line, "There's no sex in your violence." It comes from a line in the Jane's Addiction song "Ted, Just Admit It..."



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11800 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
No. Limited slip differential. "Big slip, Daddy." I've heard it that way thousands of times over 60+ years..


It's pink slip.
Always was, always will be.

Here is the demo by the BB. (Preceding any other recording) Brian Wilson stated it was "Pink Slip" in a couple interviews over the years.





"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46615 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds:

"somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with Colitis goes by"
 
Posts: 11429 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

There's a youtube video where Fogarty sings "bathroom on the right".


That's awesome! It was almost a universally misunderstood lyric back in the days of cheap am radios and the poor enunciation common in rock & roll. I remember thinking "bathroom on the right" also, as did my teenage older sister.



.


you are all wrong, it's "baboon on the right"


-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-


All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz
 
Posts: 2115 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
***OLD THREAD WARNING***

I just learned this today:

Beachfront Avenue

not

Detroit Avenue

Makes so much more sense when you are rollin’ in your 5.0 with the ragtop down so your hair can blow on A1A in Miami.
 
Posts: 14930 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
The refrain from Eminence Front by The Who:

"Livin' in a swamp, livin' in a swamp....."

At least that's how drunken me at a party remembers it. Big Grin


-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.
 
Posts: 9122 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Beachfront Avenue

not

Detroit Avenue


Man, I always heard Detroit Avenue, too. Thanks for the clarification!




Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
God bless America.
 
Posts: 16411 | Location: VA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A day after we went to a Staind concert, my (then) 5YO was jamming to 'Butt shuffle' (Bluey TV show) instead of Mudshovel.
 
Posts: 3456 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Puddle Pirate
Picture of kornesque
posted Hide Post
"The girlies go crazy for a shot glass man."

ZZ Top


_____________________________________
“You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.” -Al Capone

"Happiness is red and free."
 
Posts: 1795 | Location: Low Country, SC | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Carol King on Tapestry

"you make me feel" Comes across as "you make me sick" when your hearing is shot like mine



SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished
 
Posts: 6727 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Misheard song lyrics.

© SIGforum 2026