SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Package Thief Breaks Leg Running Back to Car *video*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Package Thief Breaks Leg Running Back to Car *video* Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
flogging is the only way to go. Well the Mohammedans have a neat trick where they lop off a hand. And while that certainly has merits, I think public flogging would be sufficient and more humane.
As far as I know, caning works pretty well in Singapore. They still do that, don't they?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
flogging is the only way to go. Well the Mohammedans have a neat trick where they lop off a hand. And while that certainly has merits, I think public flogging would be sufficient and more humane.
As far as I know, caning works pretty well in Singapore. They still do that, don't they?

Did it work for this guy? Big Grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Did it work for this guy? Big Grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

It did for Singapore --- he's offending somewhere else no?

Posts: 2544 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk about an instant karma! Next, she'll be sueing the property owner for having a wet lawn when trying to steal his packages and win.....I wouldn't doubt it, if it's in Seattle or CA.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
The use of the word "jogged" is generous.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6143 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ababneh said one of the stolen packages was an expensive box of medicine.
Hope it was a prescriptions that would add felony charges. HA HA HA

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:
In addition to screwing up her ankle, she gets 58 days in jail:

http://komonews.com/news/local...rly-2-months-in-jail

SEATTLE -- An infamous "porch pirate" who was caught on surveillance camera stealing packages from a Bothell home, only to wipe out and injure her ankle on the getaway, was sentenced to 58 days in jail Friday.

Alicia Treat had pleaded guilty to the thefts in January with alleged accomplice Brian Devere. The maximum prison sentence was 60 days.

Treat's mishap went viral when the homeowner's surveillance video was posted on Facebook, garnering more than 650,000 views in what many viewers deemed as karmic justice.

The two were later arrested at an Everett motel.

Treat, 37, is homeless, on disability, and has three kids. Devere, 39, has a lengthy criminal history that includes convictions for identity theft, burglary, and auto theft.

The judge also ordered Treat to pay restitution.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She’ll steal someone’s package again to pay the restitution and then claim to be the real victim. If she’d just move to Seattle it would all be free.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Treat, 37, is homeless, on disability, and has three kids. Devere, 39, has a lengthy criminal history that includes convictions for identity theft, burglary, and auto theft.

Whats her disability? Up until her slip, it looked like she was able to run and pick up boxes and run them back to a vehicle. A prime candidate for package delivery/pickup.

Posts: 7382 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Probably that she's too dumb and or lazy to hold down a job. Sadly I know a couple people collecting disability for that malady.

Nice looking car, staying in a motel.. they have some well-to-do homeless people.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Max sentence of 60 days for this? That's why there is so much of it. Make it a felony with a year or more, preferably 5 years, and you will cut down a=on a lot of this crap.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It varies from state to state, but classification of simple theft charges is typically driven by the dollar amount of the property stolen.

In Arkansas, thefts under $1,000 are misdemeanors. That means no prison time.

The package she stole was likely worth well under a grand.

Frankly, I'm surprised she got any jail time at all. If it hadn't been accompanied by a viral video, she probably would have just been given misdemeanor probation (which is a joke), some fines/court costs, and some restitution (that she'll never pay).

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It varies from state to state, but classification of simple theft charges is typically driven by the dollar amount of the property stolen.

Frankly, I'm surprised she got any jail time at all. If it hadn't been accompanied by a viral video, she probably would have just been given misdemeanor probation (which is a joke), some fines/court costs, and some restitution (that she'll never pay).

It just so happens that the package contained special medication that the homeowner needed that cost around $5,000.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article...-court/281-512145265

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

It just so happens that the package contained special medication that the homeowner needed that cost around $5,000.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article...-court/281-512145265

If I were getting a package that set me back $5,000, I would either make sure I'm home and ready when UPS/FedEx, etc. showed up at my house, or arrange for me to pick it up at the local office. Especially in the Seattle area with all the tweakers and what not.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
If I were getting a package that set me back $5,000, I would either make sure I'm home and ready when UPS/FedEx, etc. showed up at my house, or arrange for me to pick it up at the local office. Especially in the Seattle area with all the tweakers and what not.

That is probably the list price. The insurance company would pay less than half that and the patient would have a small copay. Probably.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is probably the list price. The insurance company would pay less than half that and the patient would have a small copay. Probably.

Well it's valued at $5,000 and he stated that insurance covers a portion, but not replacements. So he's footing the bill for full retail cost. In my mind it's valued at $5,000, this should be a felony.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I would assume the value is what counts, not the price paid. If someone stole my $20K car it doesn't matter that I paid $5K for it. It was still valued at $20K.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

Well it's valued at $5,000 and he stated that insurance covers a portion, but not replacements. So he's footing the bill for full retail cost. In my mind it's valued at $5,000, this should be a felony.

Oh, I don't disagree. But I suspect the patient was less cautious about receipt due to the low copay and not realizing that insurance would not cover replacement.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow - up to 60 days. She will do 2 weeks and go back to exactly what she does best. No impact.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Treat, 37, is homeless, on disability, and has three kids.
They let her keep the kids?

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post