SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SCOTUS rules (7-2) in favor of Colorado cake baker
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS rules (7-2) in favor of Colorado cake baker Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
Pretty much this. SCOTUS took the coward way out on this one. They left it open in the future so that "you can step on people's freedom, just don't say you're doing it while on the record."

I am glad that I am not the only one who sees this very dangerous (IMO) mindset being 'created' in the discussions. The baker was indeed a devout Christian and it would violate his "deeply held religious beliefs". But just imagine if he had said "I refuse to bake you a special cake because I think Gay Marriage is icky."

Then, I fear he would have been pilloried and legally sanctioned for daring to violate Liberal groupthink.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Update:
Colorado Drops Second Case Against Christian Baker

https://www.dailysignal.com/20...nst-christian-baker/

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31432 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Note that it is the government entity, not the gay couple, which is on the losing end.

It's the gay couple that doesn't get their gay cake.

Still a narrow ruling in my mind if it's based on religion-only.

+1. Any business should be able to deny service for any reason whatsoever.

Just like customers should never be forced to purchase from a business.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
Any business should be able to deny service for any reason whatsoever.

Just like customers should never be forced to purchase from a business.
Couldn't agree more with this comment. No one on either side of the sales transaction should be forced to deal with the other.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I love where the article states that the Commission dropped the lawsuit because they could be held personally liable for proceeding. I wish there were more circumstances where government officials could be held liable.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I love where the article states that the Commission dropped the lawsuit because they could be held personally liable for proceeding. I wish there were more circumstances where government officials could be held liable.

Agreed!

I believe since they might be held liable for harassment of Phillips that they intend to turn their efforts onto someone else.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good. Don't blame "the government" for this. The individual people who chose to harrass this innocent man are the guilty parties. Not the government- they, personally.

Freaking filth Mad

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Good. Don't blame "the government" for this. The individual people who chose to harrass this innocent man are the guilty parties. Not the government- they, personally.

Freaking filth Mad

Unfortunately, people within the government too often run amok over the rights of individuals, but if they’re ever called out on it, the people in the jurisdiction are left to pay the tab. The SC decided just a day or so ago on a case that will leave taxpayers in a rural county with higher property taxes for years because investigators served their own desires rather than justice. I feel for the people who will have to pay this instead of those who should be.

Justices: Nebraska county owes $28M for wrongful convictions

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a rural Nebraska county’s appeal of a $28 million court judgment aimed at compensating six people wrongfully convicted of a 1985 slaying.

The justices turned away Gage County’s last-ditch effort to avoid the hefty judgment, after a federal appeals court in St. Louis found the award was justified because of egregious law enforcement conduct. In August, the county raised its local property tax levy as high as state law allows to pay off the debt — a move that could become a major drag on the local economy.

Continues at

https://www.apnews.com/38d3a4b...403fb634dc5100eddaae

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2109 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very pleased for Jack, I'll have to stop by and get a snack.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacif...il-rights/commission

quote:
About the Commission

Commissioners are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the state Senate to serve four-year terms. They are selected from across Colorado and represent both political parties.

These people were appointed to this task by the highest government office in Colorado. I blame them and the goddamn state government for this.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

Everyone (working for .gov or not) should be held personally responsible for their actions. It seems now that a .gov job is de facto immunity.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
quote:

Everyone (working for .gov or not) should be held personally responsible for their actions. It seems now that a .gov job is de facto immunity.

That would be lovely in theory. Every elected and beaurocrat could be held accountable. Till we start adding up the court cases.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Freaking filth Mad

[b[Unfortunately, people within the government too often run amok over the rights of individuals, but if they’re ever called out on it, the people in the jurisdiction are left to pay the tab. The SC decided just a day or so ago on a case that will leave taxpayers in a rural county with higher property taxes for years because investigators served their own desires rather than justice. I feel for the people who will have to pay this instead of those who should be.[/b]

Justices: Nebraska county owes $28M for wrongful convictions

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a rural Nebraska county’s appeal of a $28 million court judgment aimed at compensating six people wrongfully convicted of a 1985 slaying.

The justices turned away Gage County’s last-ditch effort to avoid the hefty judgment, after a federal appeals court in St. Louis found the award was justified because of egregious law enforcement conduct. In August, the county raised its local property tax levy as high as state law allows to pay off the debt — a move that could become a major drag on the local economy.

Continues at

https://www.apnews.com/38d3a4b...403fb634dc5100eddaae

I've been saying for *years* that any public employees and elected officials, as a requirement of their employment or their elected office, should maintain malpractice and liability insurance AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE-much as doctors do-to cover instances such as this. The amount of insurance could vary by level of responsibility, but should be at a minimum of $3,000,000.00 per occurrence and $10,000,000.00 aggregate.

This business of private individuals being on the hook for public employees' misdeeds needs to stop. I can't willy-nilly trample on people and expect others to cover my financial liability should it come to that.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
This business of private individuals being on the hook for public employees' misdeeds needs to stop. I can't willy-nilly trample on people and expect others to cover my financial liability should it come to that.

Not sure it's wise to remove the responsibility of being a voter and making sure you select the right people?

Remove the liability of the citizens and we reduce the responsibility for putting idiots in charge so there are no repercussions. It's wise to keep the public responsible for the expenses associated of electing crooked people into office.

Regardless of who voted for whom.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I'm very pleased for Jack, I'll have to stop by and get a snack.

Yeah, I've been there twice and threw a $20 into his donations can he has on the counter. I think I'll drop by again, I'm only 15 minutes away.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post