SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gov. Jerry Brown Asks Trump For Fed Funds To Cleanup Storm Damage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Gov. Jerry Brown Asks Trump For Fed Funds To Cleanup Storm Damage Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
First inclination is to say hell no.
Then again $162 million spread out over 52
counties sounds like chump change.
I'd give em the money without comment.

If you have a family member that cannot spend their money wisely, do you give them money when they "need" it because their home needs repairs?

Remember, if the President decides to pay this, we (us taxpayers) are on the hook for it. Should we just fork it over because the state chooses to spend money on illegals and other liberal causes? What guarantee do the tax payers have that not one penny goes to any sort of nonsense that California is known for???

$162 million is chump change? Add on top of that, what they have gotten and misspent! Still chump change? The entire time they have been playing humanitarian with Federal tax dollars, they could have been rebuilding a crumbling infrastructure. Same goes for all states, not just CA! They have gotten so used to being bailed out by Uncle Sugar that now they now cry foul when it doesn't.

This is a great lesson in fiscal responsibility. Spend on necessary stuff or play Lefty Loon until there is no more $ and piss and moan about being broke! Now, where have I seen this behavior before...oh yeah, California!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Were I president, I would ask for an accounting as to why California doesn't have emergency funds in place for an event like this. Then I would publish the reason why there are no funds for it. With an actionable commitment to remedy the policies that created such a deficit, I would offer federal emergency funds and rub the leftist subversive opposition's noses in it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Not just no, but HELL no. After their recent accounting error of 1.9 billion dollars, its clear they cannot be trusted with money, or even sharp ended scissors. Let them fend for themselves if they want to retain their "sanctuary state status".

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
If you have a family member that cannot spend their money wisely, do you give them money when they "need" it because their home needs repairs?

Remember, if the President decides to pay this, we (us taxpayers) are on the hook for it. Should we just fork it over because the state chooses to spend money on illegals and other liberal causes? What guarantee do the tax payers have that not one penny goes to any sort of nonsense that California is known for???

$162 million is chump change? Add on top of that, what they have gotten and misspent! Still chump change? The entire time they have been playing humanitarian with Federal tax dollars, they could have been rebuilding a crumbling infrastructure. Same goes for all states, not just CA! They have gotten so used to being bailed out by Uncle Sugar that now they now cry foul when it doesn't.

This is a great lesson in fiscal responsibility. Spend on necessary stuff or play Lefty Loon until there is no more $ and piss and moan about being broke! Now, where have I seen this behavior before...oh yeah, California!

Duly noted there coach.

And it's still just $162 million!

The supposed cost to fix the spillway at Oroville is $100 million.
Doesn't leave much for all the other counties. If the loons were serious
about a handout,I would think they would be asking for billions.
Not much win for the Trumpster in this.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Response - Trump allocates 162 million to bolster immigration judges

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I see a photo op in the making of Moonbeam laughing and smiling while walking with PRESIDENT Trump.

Like the career killing photo of Christi and obama.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
"sorry Jerry, but if I issue an order right now, the 9th Circuit will shut it down. You're gonna have to go through channels. Get it? Channels?"

"And didn't your buddy Barry just give away a couple hundred mil to some foreigners? Ask them for the money."

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Report This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
You guys do realize that most of the flooding is in the red parts of the state.

That being said part of me hopes Trump cuts the shit out of support for Ca. Maybe just maybe Ca will wake up. Hell what am I talking about. Ca is F'ed up by the big cities.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
You guys do realize that most of the flooding is in the red parts of the state.

That being said part of me hopes Trump cuts the shit out of support for Ca. Maybe just maybe Ca will wake up. Hell what am I talking about. Ca is F'ed up by the big cities.

Yes we do and it is unfortunate that good guys have to suffer along with the evil (D), maybe the good guys in CA will secede from CA.

CO is in the same boat as CA, chickenlooper, the leftists in Boulder and mayor handcock just don't know it yet. I hope CO fed funding gets cut too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
I think Trump should force Brown to show his budget, and then pay a third of the cost to the state. Or, bypass the state and provide directly to the county leadership, with strict spending rules. Bypass moonbeam altogether.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was it Ben Franklin who said something along the lines of "Mind the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves."?

I realize this is in conflict with way our current legislators think, "A billion here, a billion there, eventually you are talking about real money."

But...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Were I president, I would ask for an accounting as to why California doesn't have emergency funds in place for an event like this. Then I would publish the reason why there are no funds for it. With an actionable commitment to remedy the policies that created such a deficit, I would offer federal emergency funds and rub the leftist subversive opposition's noses in it.

So you would require govt responsibility/accountability? How draconian of you, that applies only to Repubs, not Dems. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

So you would require govt responsibility/accountability? How draconian of you, that applies only to Repubs, not Dems. Smile

Wink

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
The next Governor...Newsom...will make Brown look like a Right Winger.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

Now is the perfect opportunity for the federal government to make states tidy up their spending habits. If they were doing this to begin with, California would probably so flush with cash that they wouldn't have to rely upon the feds for a handout.

quote:
Duly noted there coach.

The supposed cost to fix the spillway at Oroville is $100 million.
Doesn't leave much for all the other counties. If the loons were serious
about a handout,I would think they would be asking for billions.
Not much win for the Trumpster in this.

Sure, nothing status quo here, right?

If you or I misspent like our states do, we would be penniless, homeless, and maybe worse...however, it's just Tuesday for them! What is wrong with holding governors responsible for their idiotic policies that get them upside down? It would make states look long and hard at the feel good measures that they just have to implement! As a product of the governors being responsible, you would see them putting pressure on the local politicians such as city council and town mayors to cut the crap.

I have another idea for the $162 million they are looking for. Ask each Californian for $4.14. Every man, woman, child (or whatever they want to be called) whether they are legal or illegal..Put their money where their mouths are! I'm sure old Gov. Brown could force a tax upon the wealthy to cover those UNABLE to pay similar to how Obama wrangled everyone into ObamaCare!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
Where would the loan come from if they got their wish to secede from the Union?
California citizens are due the FEMA relief from natural disasters but I think an openly hostile governor should expect questions from the President on where HIS states money is spent.

Hell let the "celebrities" cough up the money and the protesters fix the dam and see how quick it gets done on their own.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Report This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Since Brown loves them so much, have him get the money from Mexico, it's going to get spent on their people anyway.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
PA doesn't ask for money when we're buried under a foot of snow. we just dig and plow.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
well the town of Oroville is under evacuation orders now as the spillway is possibly going to fail any minute maybe tonight maybe tomorrow if another storm pumps more water into it. the lake level is over the dam level. But this GD Commie state has billions to piss away on a bullet train to nowhere, billions for illegals but not ~200MM fixing for ancient infrastructure. Pray for our friends in Butte County

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
So much water is pouring in that the spillway and emergency spillway cannot handle the flow.

The flow is now 100,000 cu ft and second and it's eroding the top of the earthen emergency spillway. 30 feet of water will come pouring out of Oroville when it fails and there will be flooding of Oroville several other small towns.

Most people don't realize that CA went from 5 years of drought to more than enough water in about 120 days. This isn't a budget issue.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post