SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Johns Hopkins Hospital DEI chief claims ALL whites, males, Christians, able-bodies people and English speakers are 'privileged'
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Johns Hopkins Hospital DEI chief claims ALL whites, males, Christians, able-bodies people and English speakers are 'privileged' Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...ivileged-letter.html

By JEN SMITH, CHIEF REPORTER and PAUL FARRELL FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 15:39 EST, 11 January 2024 | UPDATED: 16:22 EST, 11 January 2024

Johns Hopkins Hospital has sparked outrage after its DEI chief sent out a letter labeling all white people, Christians, men and English-speakers as 'privileged'.

The letter, posted on Twitter by End Wokeness, was written by Chief Diversity Officer Sherita Hill Golden, was part of the 'monthly diversity digest'.

A furious hospital employee shared the memo with the Twitter account.

In it, Dr. Hill explains that 'privilege' is the 'diversity word of the month'.

To explain who the phrase applies to, she offered a list. It reads: 'Privilege is characteristically invisible to people who have it.

'White people, able-bodied people, heterosexuals, cisgender people, males Christians, middle or owning class people, middle-aged people and English-speaking people,' all fit the bill, according to Golden.

'People in dominant groups often believe they have earned the privileges they enjoy or that everyone could have access to these privileges if only they worked to earn them.

'In fact, privileges are unearned and are granted to people in the dominant groups whether they want those privileges or not, and regardless of their stated intent.'

Among those to condemn the remarks was Elon Musk, who tweeted: 'This must end!'

Donald Trump Jr. said: 'The rot and racism in higher education goes so much further Harvard, MIT, and Penn (my alma mater) it has taken over virtually every institution and needs to end now.'

After the post went viral on Twitter, Golden issued an apology to staff this morning.

'The newsletter included a definition of the word privilege which, upon reflection, I deeply regret. The intent of the newsletter is to inform and support an inclusive community at Hopkins, but the language of this definition clearly did not meet that goal.

'In fact, because it was overly simplistic and poorly worded, it had the opposite effect.'

'I retract and disavow the definition I shared and I am sorry.'

In a statement to DailyMail.com, a Johns Hopkins Medicine spokesperson said: 'The January edition of the monthly newsletter from the Johns Hopkins Medicine Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Health Equity used language that contradicts the values of Johns Hopkins as an institution.

'Dr. Sherita Golden, Johns Hopkins Medicine's Chief Diversity Officer, has sincerely acknowledged this mistake and retracted the language used in the message.'

Other Twitter users slammed the letter too.

In response, conservative activists are trashing the institution online.

'Johns Hopkins is throwing away their legacy of being a respected and honored institution over the DEI movement that history will list as the thing that brought down this venerable institution for promoting racism, and discrimination and too many phobias to mention,' wrote one person.

'I fall in every category here-- so I must be the privilege world champion,' joked another user.

'I would love the word 'privilege' to just get sucked into a vortex, never to be seen or uttered again,' said another.

This past October, Johns Hopkins made headlines when it renamed one of its programs, the Caroline Donovan Professorship in English Literature due to the Donovan's family owning of slaves in the 19th century.

According to a 2020 announcement from the school, founder Johns Hopkins too was a slaveowner, despite being a Quaker, a group who were largely abolitionist.

'Weighing the prime legacy of any name is a subjective and imprecise process, but in taking up this work, the university seeks to reconcile history with the values it strives to protect and uphold,' Vice-chair of the university's board of trustees Sarah O'Hagan said in a statement at the time.

Q

Posts: 27462 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Did she just mislabel me?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29902 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Hey Golden, you're a MD. Quit spewing this BS nonsense and go out and actually heal someone for a change.

And once you get called out, you're 'sorry'? Screw you!

Posts: 9238 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Hey Golden, you're a MD. Quit spewing this BS nonsense and go out and actually heal someone for a change.

I'm willing to bet, if one were to dig a little deep, her MD has the affirmative action asterisk attached.

Q

Posts: 27462 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I just got this email from JH. I think we can all agree where they stand. Unfortunately, this seems to be the trend if many medical institutions.

we will resume mandatory masking for patients, visitors and employees in all Johns Hopkins Medicine locations in the state of Maryland, regardless of vaccination status, effective 1/12/2024.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16445 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Seven of those fit me.

*Correction, EIGHT. All but middle aged.

Yeah, I’d feel REAL confident having her as my physician….

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shovelhead,

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8352 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So much for equity.

Posts: 1157 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seven out of nine for me too. Now that I am "privileged", what do I win?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16372 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am proud and unrepentant that I fall into every one of those categories. I carry my privilege with pride!

Posts: 2530 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m think you win the privilege to listen to idiots like her the rest of you life.
Unbelievable

Posts: 1157 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
DEI is going to eat itself someday and all this nonsense will thankfully be over. Major corporations are already backing away from this toxic shit as we speak.

Posts: 34493 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'White people, able-bodied people, heterosexuals, cisgender people, males Christians, middle or owning class people, middle-aged people and English-speaking people,' all fit the bill, according to Golden

9/9 for me I feel, well, privileged..

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 415 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope she gets the gay treatment.

Posts: 13029 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I gots some serious privilege intersectionality goin': 8/9 for me, but only because I'm a senior, rather than middle-aged.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Willing to bet she isn’t a very good doctor

I wonder how many malpractice claims she has outstanding.

Posts: 53758 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
'In fact, privileges are unearned and are granted to people in the dominant groups whether they want those privileges or not, and regardless of their stated intent.'

God lord, does she hear herself? As a person sitting in one of these "privileged" roles, how did she get there? I'd bet 100:1 it wasn't through merit, not with the level of logic and rationality she's demonstrating. And so then, she must be privileged as well since her position was unearned and thereby a member, at least effectively, of the "dominant" group.

And so what? Life's a bitch and ain't fair. There are people who get their roles by merit. But there will also always be people who get their roles by methods other than merit. Boo fucking hoo. Deal with it. The problem is when people demand and feel entitled to roles w/o merit, not that people get them. DEI as a group is a problem.

People who rise above their competency usually get weeded out at some point - the nature of natural competition. But society can not be maintained when DEI artificially place incompetence into roles with no checks and balances to weed them out by artificially keeping them in place. Nature doesn't work well with these artificial systems in place.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13073 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Sure. I recognize my privilege. Know why? Because I f—-ing EARNED IT! Ain’t nobody ever gave me a f—-ing thing!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'M OFFENDED!!! I'M OUTRAGED!!!

There, now she has to stop. Problem solved.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38192 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
owning class people

What the F is this?

Posts: 15044 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

I'm willing to bet, if one were to dig a little deep, her MD has the affirmative action asterisk attached.

She can got empty bedpans then.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post