SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was in a high speed car accident yesterday morning
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was in a high speed car accident yesterday morning Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
Hey glad your ok. Which highway was it on?

Thanks, Ed.

Getting onto 80/94 westbound from 65 north. About 1/3 mile east of the Broadway exit.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the concerns and suggestions, fellas. I appreciate your advice and anecdotes.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’ve only had two high speed “incidents” and fortunately they were both on the track, specifically Virginia International Raceway, my home town track.

I was in a PCA race and going through the Uphill Esses which is a left, right, straight over a bump and then left and right again. I was somewhere around 135 mph having just gone over the bump and started turning left when all of a sudden my rear end swapped places and I started spinning off the track to the right. I don’t know how many 360’s I did (maybe 3?) and dirt was flying into the cockpit when I could see I was heading directly for the safety station and the flaggers eyes were looking at me and where huge! Fortunately I was able to get the car under control and he flagged me back onto the track but I was black flagged so I drove around into the pit where the chief controller said I was leaking water from my water pump so my day was done.

The second instance was I was instructing an intermediate (white group) student who had just finished restoring an older air cooled 911 RSR. These cars are known monsters and definitely is more car than most people could handle so we had a brief talk about keeping the car under control and learning the idiosyncrasies of it. The first session went relatively well but I could sense his concentration level wasn’t where it needed to be... The second session we were going a little faster coming off the back straight, maybe 130 or so and we come up to the brake zone which is marked by a series of decreasing numbers as we approach the apex. Well he blows by his marker and I said to him in a fairly stern voice “BRAKE!” To which he says “What? And I yell BRAKE! at the top of my voice into my headset. He finally realizes that we are going straight off the track and tries to turn back on the track which is the last thing to do. I grabbed the steering wheel to keep the car straight as he locked up the brakes. We go over the bank and hit the barrier probably about 50 or 60 mph. Thank God we both had 6 point harnesses and Hans Devices...Last I heard the repairs were over $50K..

I eventually sold my car and now enjoy driving at road legal speeds but there are more idiots on the roads than on the track..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smlsig,

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok. God was watching over you.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
dude slammed my Cooper off the road, (with me in it) a couple years ago,

I had stopped in traffic (typical stop n go on the highway, 60-0 in a very short section)

I was lucky, when I stopped, I looked back and saw him (big GMC,, not slowing) and put my head back on the rest and relaxed,

seemed like a minute, but it was literally a split second,

fortunately, I was able to turn it off the road and not hit the car in front of me (he had started moving)

anyhoo,,

no airbag, I slammed forward , restrained by the belt, and then slammed back, knocking the seat back like it was reclined,

other than the bruise from the belt on my shoulder, I felt fine,

cop and wife insisted I go get checked out, and we did, I was fine, no worries,

bit stiff later that afternoon,

over the weekend, still stiff, with some back ache,

note, I did not take any muscle relaxers or pain meds other than an advil or 2,

by the middle of the week I was hurting,

burning sensation in my back, no matter what I did,

come to find out I have bruised my back rather badly, from the shoulder blades down to just below my kidneys,

2 weeks of muscle relaxers, and roughly 10 trips to PT and all is well,

2 yrs later, no issues,

so be sure to do what the docs say,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Hey 6guns sorry that happened to you. Glad it turned out to not be as bad as it could have been, definitely seek any medical care that you need. Take care!

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Glad your good 6guns. Don't be surprised if your body rebels. The amount of tension your body was at at impact was extreme. It might take a little time to get back to normal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A teenaged girl blew through a stop sign and hit me direct in the side of my car. Fortunately it was the passanger side and I was alone. Totaled the car. No injuries at all for me. Fortunately the girl was fine too. She was a new driver. It's easy sometimes to be angry, and I was. Come to find out she was driving into a full sun which probabaly obscured her vision somewhat. In dealing with the aftermath, I did speak to her father. Nice guy who made no excuses for his daughter. The girl was on her way to her part time job. She was a straight A student. Just glad niether one of us had any injuries. Hope she learned something.

After the accident for quite a long time afterwords when I came to an intersection where I had the clear right of way, I would slow way down anyway. Just couldn't help doing it. My wife would sahy "What are you slowing down for?"

Posts: 1053 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I got hit by a speeding semi on I-15 years ago. After he hit me, my car started bouncing down the freeway like a ball in a pinball machine. I thought I was going to die. I hope you only have minor injuries.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
So happy to hear that you made it out safe.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are OK. Scary stuff. Worst one in a car I was in was when had the Chevy Wimpalas as a cruiser. Chasing down some suspects that beat the crap out of an ederly man w/ a golf club. Uncontrolled intersection and an F150 hit me in the driver’s side front quarter panel. Biggest injury came when the computer broke free of its mount and punched me in the mouth.

Worst one out of the car was working an accident on an ice covered bridge. Driver in a Grand Prix decided it was a good time to lock up the brakes and clip me with the front right of her car. Basically rode up the hood until I was stopped by the passenger side mirror going into my ass. That one still hurts every once in a while.

Make sure you take care of any aches and pains that will probably develop later. Don’t ignore them please.

I think the worst part of the accident is the feeling of being out of control.

Posts: 4059 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Glad you are ok.
Prayers so it stays that way.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Yikes. Glad.you are ok.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any witnesses come forward ?

How does that aspect look?

Sounds like you made out ok
physically .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
How are you feeling now?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
Hey glad your ok. Which highway was it on?

Thanks, Ed.

Getting onto 80/94 westbound from 65 north. About 1/3 mile east of the Broadway exit.

I knew it. That has to be the worst highway in the nation. I hate that road. You never know if you are going to zip through accident free or sit in traffic for hours.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
How are you feeling now?

About the same, Kev. Lower back is hurting, but not unbearable. I have an appointment to see my primary care doc on Monday and he'll probably subscribe a cat scan or MRI or something. I'd like to make sure there isn't anything serious going on.

Other than that, I have to find a new car with all the associated hassles that can involve. Maybe I'll start another thread on buying a new car. Big Grin

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Any updates? How are you doing now?

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Kevin, thanks for asking. Had Doc appointment on Monday and he probed around my back and neck and ordered x-rays. He felt it was just muscle/ligament strain and the x-rays confirmed it. I'm thankful. The pain is much less than it was.

In process of looking for a new car and may have come upon a deal that could close tomorrow. Another piece of good news is the insurance company is sending a check for quite a bit more that I was expecting for my car.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Seems you’re getting out of the woods. That’s gratifying for sure, brother.