SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was in a high speed car accident yesterday morning
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was in a high speed car accident yesterday morning Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re okay. I’ve had my share including broadsiding a school bus in a switchback (he cut the corner and I went through the glass. Woke up in the snow), broadsided a Buick at an intersection on my motorcycle. Woke up in the arms of a cop. Killed 6 deer and I’ve been rear ended twice. Plus a few more minor wrecks that aren’t worth mentioning. Again, glad you’re okay.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I’m so glad you’re okay. For lots of us, driving is the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis. Give yourself time to process this and move on best that you can.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Glad your are OK and definitely get checked out. Never know. I was in a higher speed accident a number of years ago driving my 1990 Isuzu pickup. Loved that truck, should have bought 3 of them and stored the other ones, was $4995 new in 1990. Anyway, was driving down I95 to Miami from Ft. Lauderdale to catch a Gator game with a bunch of friends, had my wife with me. Was driving past “malfunction junction” - where 826 and I95 meet with a flyover. I was third lane over traveling probably 65-70 mph. Unknown to me someone behind me was in the flyover lane, speeding and decided last minute they didn’t want to be there - so they drove to the right over the plastic pipes, lost control and T-Boned the front left tire and fender of my car. I fought to get control and luckily was pushed into the van next to me which let me regain control with some dents and scrapes on the right side. Got the care stopped on the right side of the highway, van ahead of me and guy that started this spun to the left on other side of highway.

I was never ever so pissed off, I got out and stopped the slow traffic on I95 while pointing at the asshat that hit me and yelling at him. He started backing away and apologizing and halfway across I came to my senses and stopped. He nearly killed my wife and that really really blinded me for a moment. No one was hurt, pulled out my fender and car was drivable but basically totaled. My on-track experience helped keep control, but it happens fast and I learned something about my temper and controlling it. Scared the crap out of me.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There insurance will pay for the property damage, that will be easy. However you can expect some whiplash symptoms to develop over the next few weeks. Their insurance company will try to cheat you out of every penny they owe you, I work with them on a regular basis.

DO NOT give a recorded statement, they will use that against you. You will most likely have some long term health issues in the spine, such as a loss of cervical curve, etc. Years from now that may be a problem. These things can be fixed, but you should be compensated for future medical costs. As the car was totaled, you should speak to an attorney because this is not a tiny case. Absolutely speak to an attorney before talking to their insurance company.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern automotive engineering is nothing short of amazing in what it does to protect the occupants. People commonly walk away from incredibly violent and severe crashes with no or minor injuries. Cars are saving thousands and thousands of people each year.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Hey glad your ok. Which highway was it on?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
6guns, I am glad to hear you notonly survived, but are (physically) ok. I've been through one too. It changed me.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take cervical x-rays of several persons every week. I can usually estimate how many accidents they have been in by viewing the lateral cervical XR image. Typically the auto accidents were 5-20 years earlier, but now they come in because of severe neck pain, headaches, etc.

Do not let the insurance company off easy, because you will be paying for this in the future one way or another.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I thought about you today, Carl. I'm so glad you weren't hurt. Hope it's okay I put this here. Could benefit others.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Glad you are okay. Being outta control watching the event unfold in not a pleasant feeling.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Glad you are ok 6guns and hope you will be. But I have to be the first one to say it, where are the pics?

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
First, I'm glad that your injuries were not worse. I do recommend a checkup, since you appear to have some issues.

Second, last Friday I T-boned a pickup truck. I, and the 2 in the truck are fine. My car (2006 Mustang GT) is drivable, but the impact broke the right front wheel on the truck. It was not my fault--the pickup came out of nowhere in front of me as I was starting through an intersection on a green light. (There was a vehicle on my left that blocked my view.) DPD came and did not issue me a ticket.

Accidents happen. It is good when one survives them. Get well soon.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Glad you're okay. Car accidents at any speed are scary but at higher speeds, the pucker factor definitely increases.

Posts: 7314 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you hear you are ok.
Several years ago I was doing a "track day" for motorcycles at Gateway near STL. Other participant passed me in a turn on the inside which was verbotten. As he did so he didn't quite clear me and took out my front tire. We both went down and into the infield. He separated from his bike and slid while it tumbled. I somehow stayed in a lowside and eventually slid to a stop.
He was initially all pissy with me but I just said, we're both ok, lets get the bikes back to the pitt before they send medical that we will have to pay for and don't need.
So we get back to the pitt and after the adrenaline has subsided a bit he comes over and apologized. One of his buddies filmed it and he had watched it and realized that it was him that caused it..
I figure I was going somewhere about 75-80 when I hit the ground. No time to really think other than "shit, I'm going down and there's nothing I can do but hold on". At the time I was riding 15,000 miles a year and had 3 bikes. Next day I forced myself to get on another bike and go for a ride. Knew if I didn't it would only get harder to do so.
I was extremely lucky. Totaled my bike and gear but I walked away with a dime size raspberry on my left knee and a bruise on the inside of my left shoulder where my riding jack had been pulled into it hard enough to cause the bruise.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Glad you are OK, I hope the effects are minimal. Some folks feel after effects of an impact for a while, some are just fine.

I agree that safety features built in modern automobiles are miraculous. People are walking away from severe crashes that 50 years ago we would have been throwing sheets over the occupants.

The cost of property damage and human suffering from traffic crashes is astronomical, it is the single greatest threat in our society, and mostly caused by negligence of some form or another.

Excessive speed, distracted and impaired driving, disobeying traffic control devices, and aggressive drivers are causing so many crashes and we have become far too cavalier about it. (Please note that when I say aggressive driver I am referring to a driver who commits two or more moving violations in traffic in the same event).

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you're ok, sounds like it could have been much worse. Seeing a doctor is a smart thing to do, if anything just to give you some peace of mind.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got "bumped" from behind do 75 in a 70 zone. We both went out of control. Nothing as shitty feeling as just as have zero control. We both walked away but damn 24 hour later I was more shaken than when it happened. Glad you're OK 6.

Posts: 7559 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I, too, am glad that it wasn’t worse 6guns. As I recall, you have Farmers insurance, but hope that the other guy’s insurance pays.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Most people don't realize how little it takes to upset a vehicle at highway speed. Once sufficient yaw is imparted into a vehicle it's unrecoverable. The higher the speed, the worse and quicker it is.

Many people think they are fine on the scene if they don't have obvious injuries. Shock and adrenaline have a lot to do with this. Your body goes through a lot of stress really fast. We used to run calls on people hours later or the next day post accident. Any sharp, burning, or intense pain should be addressed quickly.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I'll join the choir saying glad you are ok. That's the most important part.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post