SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was in a high speed car accident yesterday morning
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was in a high speed car accident yesterday morning Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
And it scared the shit out of me.

I've never been in a bad accident, but on my way to work on the highway, a guy to left of me bumped into me and we both veered off into the breakdown lane and into the jersey barrier guard rail. I had no control and I remember thinking will I survive this? He ended up with a broken ankle and I walked away feeling fine, but extremely shaken. Even this morning getting out of bed I felt fine, but as today has worn on, my lower back is starting to hurt. I'm going to get checked out in case it ends up being more than a tweaked muscle or nerve.

I'm sure many of you LEO's know all about this, but for me, this feels like a life changer.

My car is totaled and next week I'll be car shopping.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Glad you came through without significant injury! Like you, I have never been in a bad accident... minor fender benders and bumper taps, yeah, but nothing major. Again, glad you are okay!

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
That’s a scary feeling and damn, glad you’re ok.

I had a higher speed incident not quite 20 years ago myself, in a brand new work truck no less. It was a 2000 Silverado literally the first day back from New Years. The truck had exactly 63 miles on the clock when it was hit.

For those familiar with the Houston area, I was west bound on the South Sam Houston Toll Road, had noticed a car that wasn’t maintaining speed. I had the cruise control set on 67, she passed me and then a mile or so up the road, I’d pass her. This happened 3 times and after the 3rd time I passed her she fell back so I kind of blew it off.

Next thing I know I hear tires kind of squealing to my left (I was in the right lane) and she’s coming directly at the driver’s from door at around a 30° angle. I had nowhere to go and didn’t even have time to let off the throttle before she hit me and was pushing the truck toward the outer retaining wall on the West Airport overpass.

I wasn’t having anything to do with hitting that so I hit the brakes and then steered back into her which sent that car into a counter-clockwise spin. She ended up drilling the center retaining wall and that car was totaled. Some kind of midsized sedan, I honestly don’t remember what it was as again, that’s been less than 2 months of being 20 years ago.

She was obviously impaired, even with it being around 6:30 in the morning. I said something to the officer about it and he relayed it to the paramedics that arrived in the scene. They reported back that she claimed to be diabetic, which she later denied saying when interviewed by her insurance adjuster.

To make an already long story short, almost 11k damage to a basically brand new truck. And also to add, fuck Allstate Insurance which both she and my company had.

Thankfully there were several witnesses that stopped and also that the diabetic claim was in the accident report.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I flipped my Jeep onto it's roof into snow at around 70mph. It was warm overnight but as the sun came up, rather than getting warmer it refroze everything and black ice got me.
The worst part was the high lvl of anxiety and hyper awareness as I over analyzed everyone around me when I started driving again.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
6guns-was the guy screwing with his cell phone when he hit you?

Glad you are ok for the most part, and hope the insurance companies take care of you and the replacement vehicle.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok. Scary stuff.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok. Back in May I was stopped at a red light and got rear ended by a Dodge Ram at 45mph. He ner saw me and never hit his brakes (texting). It was my first accident ever and I didn't even know what happened at first, I just knew that everything shook really hard. When I realized I'd been hit I realized what it was like to be "shaken". It scared the crap out of me when I realized it and I'm thankful I didn't get anything more than a couple bruises and sore for a bit. Hopefully you'll fare the same.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’m so glad you are well! What a helpless sensation it is to be out of control while everything that was right and stable is now flying around in a car that’s rapidly being destroyed from under you. This is why seat belts are so important. Keep us posted Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
6guns-was the guy screwing with his cell phone when he hit you?

I really don't know. 5:50AM, dark and boom, just happened! Younger driver though so it wouldn't surprise me.

After talking with the insurance investigator and with he having interviewed both of us and seeing damage and point of contact etc., his insurance company will be doing the paying. We'll see how it all plays out.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Wow!
Glad it wasn't worse.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you are ok 6guns. I've been in 2 accidents; 1 minor and 1 major. The minor one I was fine, the major one I got 39 stitches in my face and a wrenched back. The next day after the major one I felt like a Mack truck had run over me Eek

Your car can be replaced, luckily you are ok.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Be careful what you say to any insurance adjuster, especially if you think you have an injury claim, in some states you have limited time to get your injury(ies) checked out, so be sure to check NJ law, I think you have two year limitation to file suit, however not sure on any time limits on when you have to had seen a doc in NJ.

Even if you don't think you're hurt you never know, adrenaline at the time can mask things, so just saying be cautious...

Link to advice on Talking to Claims Reps

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yo Six

glad you're OK, make sure that your insurance company knows you're going to the clinic to get checked out

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
WOW, glad you are ok. I can't imagine the horror.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you're OK.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you are ok,now.
Consult a Lawyer now, just in case.

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Scary 6guns, glad you’re ok.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Glad you are ok. It's not uncommon for injuries to show up a day or two later. Take care.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you walked away, 6. I am unfortunately “in the club”, so I understand the nerves and anxiety. It’s amazing how violent it is, right? Really hard to explain to anyone who hasn’t experienced it.

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Glad to hear you are OK. Definitely follow the recommendations to get a medical check and talk to a personal injury attorney. Lord willing you will not have medical or legal issues, but checking those boxes will help protect you if you do.

Scary feeling when you don't have control of your vehicle. Family Suburban was hit on the right side behind the rear wheel by a red light runner in a Honda. Spun the Suburban into a brick wall at 45 mph. Wife and kids were OK, wife was taken to the hospital on a stretcher to make sure there was no risk of a back / neck injury. Suburban was totaled, bent frame and all. No steering input was going to correct the impact.

I got the call from the ambulance in my office, family on way to emergency room, no details. Your imagination goes to work and not in a good way.

As much as I like sports cars / sedans, spending most of my time on the road in a full-size SUV is comforting.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post