SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the best pay as you go sim card for a phone
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best pay as you go sim card for a phone Login/Join 
posted
long story short, Verizon lost my daughter's old phone in transit. they are sticking us with the 600 dollar bill

IE her phone was not making or accepting calls. they sent us a new one under warranty. We put the old one in a box and dropped it off at the UPS store, like the instructions said.

It was stolen somewhere between there and Verizon.

I had the charge removed via online chat once.
I had it removed a second time via Verizon 611,
they put the charge on our bill again.

I am back online with Verizon chat and they are not willing to take it off. If they are going to stick me with this it is the last bill I will pay with Verizon.

Typically I run a 300 dollar credit with Verizon, and have for the last half dozen years. so the idea that we would not return this phone is a complete load of bs.

we need something that handles phone, data, and text

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
long story short, verizon lost my daughters old phone in transit. they are sticking us with the 600 dollar bill
I don't understand what that means. Verizon had possession of it and lost it, or it got "lost" in shipping between Verizon and your daughter?

quote:
we need something that handles phone, data, and text
Considering every modern smartphone will do that, I think you're going to have to narrow the requirements a bit to get useful recommendations Smile

Your thread title doesn't reflect your question. It seems you're seeking both pre-paid plan and phone recommendations?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The two kids and I are on Total Wireless, unlimited everything, share 60gb of data.. $82 a month. Verizon network

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
The two kids and I are on Total Wireless, unlimited everything, share 60gb of data.. $82 a month. Verizon network

Thanks sounds like the kind of coverage we need

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If you have an unlocked phone or a phone that will work on this network, they sell a SIM kit for .99 at walmart and bestbuy

The last phone I bought was through Amazon Renew, a used Galaxy S20 for about $450. You can buy phone from Total wireless too

The setup for phone online is easy, don't try to use chat or calling, useless mostly

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they are going to stick me with this it is the last bill I will pay with Verizon.

Ah, Verizon. I've had a heck of a fight with them in the past, too.
I hope I never have to deal with them again.

That said, I'm sorry you're in this situation and that I don't have any advice to give other than "keep pounding on them."

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
If they are going to stick me with this it is the last bill I will pay with Verizon.

Ah, Verizon. I've had a heck of a fight with them in the past, too.
I hope I never have to deal with them again.

That said, I'm sorry you're in this situation and that I don't have any advice to give other than "keep pounding on them."

Yep, be relentless. My wife stayed with Verizon and recently put her son on it with her. He got stationed in Bahrain. He says he didn't use his phone but they stuck us/him with $7500 in roaming fees over just a couple of days Eek

The wife had to stay on them, several times they said they would do something, a resolution and nothing happed. " My manager will contact you by Friday" Blah blah blah, never a return call

We paid half Confused

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that Verizon sucks almost as bad as AT&T.

Consumer Cellular isn’t the cheapest but they’re a lot cheaper than ATT or Verizon. And they don’t outsource their customer service to some shithole country.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
ATT Prepaid has a deal if you prepay for a year, it ends up being $25/month; you get unlimited talk/txt and 8gb of data per month.
*also includes rollover data & hotspot.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans/

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Consumer Cellular

I don't see a pay as you go plan on Consumer Cellular's website, but their coverage is good, the plans are inexpensive, the service is good, and there's an AARP discount. Adding a line (new SIM card) to an existing plan is easy-breezy.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd consider Spectrum personally. They use Verizon's LTE network and have unlimited plans. Last time I checked they did not have international roaming plans so that's a dealbreaker for me. Pay as you go SIMs generally do not have roaming plans either.

Verizon has $5 a day roaming plan for Canada and Mexico and $10 a day for most of the rest of the world which is enabled by default (not sure if Bahrain is covered, probably not). Go on vacation for 2 weeks and you will owe max $140. If you are not on this plan or the country is not covered then pay as you go international is astronomically priced - $2 a minute phone, $0.50 per text sent, $1 a MB data.

Since the iPhone Xs introduced the eSIM, I don't use the daily roaming plan - I have the eSIM setup for roaming data through GigSky and can get 5GB for $50 for 30 days pretty much anywhere (or less for shorter durations). Just have to buy the amount I need prior to departure. I leave the Verizon SIM on pay as you go international with data roaming disabled and just don't answer or place calls unless I am on WiFi and using WiFi calling.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I ran Verizon for years, never even a hint of a problem. Customer service was great.

I'm on AT&T at the time, but a year from now I'll be going back to Verizon.

Sounds like the OP has just talked to the wrong people.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I ran Verizon for years, never even a hint of a problem. Customer service was great.

I'm on AT&T at the time, but a year from now I'll be going back to Verizon.

Sounds like the OP has just talked to the wrong people.

Sure, not that I haven't tried three times as listed in the post.

The phone was stolen at UPS. Verizon doesn't care that it was stolen. they are sticking me with the bill. Fine, what ever. But don't come in here and say it's because I didn't talk to the right people.

So, do you have a prepaid plan, a discount plan I can move our phones over to? if not, how about just stay the hell out of the thread.

I am looking at visible, Attnt, spectrum, I was going to go with consumer cellular, but for some reason they don't like one of our IMEI's

posted Hide Post
Total Wireless 4 lines @ $100/month plus plain old sales tax. 100gb to share. Runs on Verizon towers

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with Verizon's prepaid plans (Verizon branded and MNVO) is that they throttle data speed whenever their tower is busy (to make room for postpaid). Look on Howard forums and Reddit for info about this.

AT&T brand prepaid doesn't do that. That's really the main difference.

I am on AT&T prepaid, 4 lines, 15 GB each line with rollover, $115 total when paid thru callingmart.com.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Ha! Must be a Virginia phone … Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ended up snagging a phone and plan through consumer cellular. They run off atnt and t mobile which has grown significantly here in my area.

Thanks for the pointer to the company.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Thanks sounds like the kind of coverage we need
Just move over to Visible Wireless for $25/month for voice, text, and unlimited data. And Visible runs on the Verizon network. 'Or', depending on how much data you need, I have a Mint Mobile account for $15/month for voice, text, and 4gb of data. Mint runs on the T-Mobile network and has worked out well for me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
The phone was stolen at UPS.
Did it go missing on the way to Verizon, or on the way from Verizon?

If on the way to Verizon: Was it shipping pre-paid by them, or did you pay for it?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
The phone was stolen at UPS.
Did it go missing on the way to Verizon, or on the way from Verizon?

If on the way to Verizon: Was it shipping pre-paid by them, or did you pay for it?

Dead phone returned via their prepaid label. Dropped it off at ups store it was scanned in. Tracking number never made it to the truck.