SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your favorite now CLOSED military base/post?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite now CLOSED military base/post? Login/Join 
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
Fort Holabird, Baltimore, MD.

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by mushoot:
NSGA Edzell, Scotland

mushoot, what branch and when? I was a Matman, '69-'90

I was a T brancher in 34 div from 69-70, then went to NSGA Hanza, Okinawa and worked as a T brancher in ops delta. Got out in 72 as a CTT2, did my last 16 in the Army and retired as an E8 MSG. My last duty station in the Army was the 6th Army Band at the Presidio of San Francisco, left there in 1991.

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Subic Bay !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I have fond memories of Willow Grove AFB. My first shop was next door, I spent half my time talking 18 year olds off their first deployment from spending ALL of their money on stupid things. I also used to go to air shows there as a child with my dad and brother

I recall seeing a ME-262 with Radar antenna on display outside the fence (Rt611) along with a Japanese Fighter. Wonder what happened to those WWII aircraft.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Ray Barracks in Friedberg, Germany. HHC & D Co, 2-67 AR, "Iron Dukes", 1991-1992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh9t3Na37A

All the time I spent cutting that grass gone to waste.

I revisited in 2012. Gates are locked, everything is overgrown, not being used for anything by anybody. Just sitting there empty.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
All the time I spent cutting that grass gone to waste.

Similar experience pierside Rodman Panama. Awoke and topside one morning, was shocked to see the first ship I'd served aboard, mooring one pier over. Nothing left of USS Bainbridge CGN-25 but a rusting hull. Nothing above the main deck. Had gone in harms way, made rate, made friends, seen a good part of the world, repaired equipment, performed lots of topside preservation, had LIVED onboard for four years as a single junior sailor not eligible for housing. and there she was. Wouldn't even have known it was the Bainbridge without the hull number. It was just sad. Special Operators stationed in Panama used her for below deck training for a couple of days before she continued on her final journey to complete scraping. She served until the VERY end. Won't forget how I felt seeing her like that.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the Berlin Bde and Ktown in Germany. Here is a website showing some of the bases a few years ago. http://forgotten-frankfurt.blogspot.com/

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I have fond memories of Willow Grove AFB. My first shop was next door, I spent half my time talking 18 year olds off their first deployment from spending ALL of their money on stupid things. I also used to go to air shows there as a child with my dad and brother

Willow Grove NAS?

14 years ago, I was in Warrington, Willow Grove for my job. End of the runway was in spitting distance of the road. Driving back to the hotel, the planes landing were coming right at me.

Eating lunch one day at a sub shop across the road from the runway, we watched a huge cargo plane doing touch and go's. Lot's of white smoke coming from the tires.
Also recall some aircraft set up for viewing behind a fence and near the road.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mushoot:

I was a T brancher in 34 div from 69-70, then went to NSGA Hanza, Okinawa and worked as a T brancher in ops delta. Got out in 72 as a CTT2, did my last 16 in the Army and retired as an E8 MSG. My last duty station in the Army was the 6th Army Band at the Presidio of San Francisco, left there in 1991.

Well, we're from the same era then. We likely knew some of the same people, NSGA was a pretty small outfit.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Just curious if anyone was ever stationed at Clinton Sherman AFB at Burns Flat OK. It had/has a 13,000+ foot runway. After closure it's been pitched as a space port due to location and runway length but that never happened.

I visited the base about 15 years ago, tankers and transports from Altus used it for landing practice.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

I recall seeing a ME-262 with Radar antenna on display outside the fence (Rt611) along with a Japanese Fighter. Wonder what happened to those WWII aircraft.

No more flying (ANG controls UAVs), but the museum is still open:

http://wingsoffreedommuseum.org/

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Carl Schurz Kaserne, Bremerhaven Germany

Also the entire Heidelberg military area, Patton Barracks, Cambell Barracks, Hospital, Patrick Henry Village and Mark Twain village.

Posts: 3576 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pease International Tradeport in Portsmouth - formerly Pease AFB and the 509th SAC.

It also happens to be the HQ for Sig Sauer. Razz

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The only military facilities I'd been assigned to that are now closed were 2 long-range radar sites (Mt. Hebo, Oregon and Cartwright, Labrador), a SAGE Direction Center (Adair AFS, Oregon), and Johnston Island. Athough duty there was not onerous, I'd hardly say the radar sites were my favorites. Duty at Adair was nice--the facilities were good and Corvallis was just down the road a piece. The food on Johnston Island was incomparable--tasty and abundant--but there was little else to praise it for. If I had to pick one of the 4, it would be Adair AFS, Oregon; however, it is not entirely closed--some parts of it have been repurposed for civilian use. (Both radar sites have been "returned to nature"--razed to the ground.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walker Air Force Base, Roswell NM

When it closed, Roswell almost died!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
So nobody misses Chanute.

I grew up a few miles from there. Watched a few air shows.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5165 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
So nobody misses Chanute.

I grew up a few miles from there. Watched a few air shows.

I went to the Half Century of Progress agricultural show there in '15. Seems like a nice area.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
Carswell AFB, Ft Worth, TX. Nice base, new hospital closed to get even with House Speaker Jim Wright. Ft Worth is a great city although hot as hell in the summer.

Still a pretty active Joint Reserve Base there, Navy and Air Force Reserve and ANG.

Wasn't aware of that. Last I had heard, one of the aircraft manufacturers was using the runways. Was a SAC base while I was there. Was at the hospital and helped design the new facility. Heard it was turned into a women's prison.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I do not know about favorite but I worked a range clearance at Myrtle Beach AFB in the early 90's. We had to go in and certify that their EOD qualification range was free of ordnance before the government turned over the land. By the time I was there the base was pretty much abandoned but there was a lot of equipment going to waste that was left behind.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Ft. Pickens, Pensacola Beach, FL. Yankees held onto it during the war, and traded cannon shells across the bay with student pilots (including John McCain) at Ft. Barrancas, NAS Pensacola. The Yankees were just pissed they couldn't get to Trader John's.

Ft. Pickens

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post