SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your favorite now CLOSED military base/post?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite now CLOSED military base/post? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Had to laugh about the Papa Joe's strippers. There was a time at Mare Island when one of the military clubs (there were quite a few and my memory as to which one is rather cloudy... I think it was the EM or CPO Club in the mid '70s) had strippers. The place was packed at lunchtime. And yes, many of we officers were admitted. Smile But a few of the spousal units objected to this form of entertainment and finally got the ear of one of the various Command COs and that was that. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two ammo depots I worked at have been closed under BRAC, Seneca (near Rochester NY) and Savanna (NW IL). I've visited both several times and it's kind of sad.

Airfields where there is no longer any flying are covered in this fine site:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/

Here's Alameda:

http://www.airfields-freeman.c..._Oakland.htm#alameda

And I just learned Mare Island had a strip:

http://www.airfields-freeman.c...kland.htm#mareisland

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Had to laugh about the Papa Joe's strippers. There was a time at Mare Island when one of the military clubs (there were quite a few and my memory as to which one is rather cloudy... I think it was the EM or CPO Club in the mid '70s) had strippers. The place was packed at lunchtime. And yes, many of we officers were admitted. Smile But a few of the spousal units objected to this form of entertainment and finally got the ear of one of the various Command COs and that was that. LOL

By the time I got to Mare Island, the enlisted club wasn't a thing although I probably saw more women there than any other base club I've been to INCONUS. It could get festive at times. Generally if stuck on base, I preferred the Marine's club. Older, quieter and generally with older Marines who had quite interesting military stories if you could get them to open up. OH, there WAS one other club and don't even remember anything about it except I went one night when they had an up and coming comedian perform.

Posts: 4724 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naval Station, Charleston, SC
Roosevelt Roads, PR
Myrtle Beach AFB!

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Ft. Ord,CA It was right on the Monterey Bay, so much to do and see. The women, I had way to much fun there
+1

It seems so long ago now (because it was. Frown ) General Hal Moore was post commander then.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Ft. Ord,CA It was right on the Monterey Bay, so much to do and see. The women, I had way to much fun there

Yeah, and don't forget the cheap beer at Stilwel Hall and the boardwalk at Santa Cruz where the co-eds liked to hang out. Good times for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad Tolz, Germany. I was only at the Flint Kaserne for a month for PLDC, but what a cool place. Beautiful area, lots of interesting history. It's an office park now.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Clark AB, Philippines. I spent a couple years there in the 80s and visited several times in the 90s after it was closed.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Brunswick NAS.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Loring AFB, Maine.

Posts: 163 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NSGA Edzell, Scotland

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Hahn Air Base, 50th TFW, Germany

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mushoot:
NSGA Edzell, Scotland

mushoot, what branch and when? I was a Matman, '69-'90

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15269 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bergstrom Air Force Base, outside of Austin, TX. My wife and I, when we were stationed at Fort Hood as lieutenants and dating, used to drive down to Austin to spend the weekend. We'd stay at Bergstrom, and oftentimes they'd give us O-6 quarters.

Several years later, in the mid 90's, we were stationed in Panama. We really had a good time at all the bases, Fort Clayton, Albrook AFB and Howard AFB, all in close proximity and all now closed.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5171 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Rodman Panama (port visits) was a huge base but not much there. They bused us to Howard AFB for shopping and theater and Ft. Kobbe Army Post for the club. Howard had a club but the Ft. Kobbe one was much better. Excursions into Panama City were always fun.

Posts: 4724 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarine Refit Site One Holy Loch Scotland. I was in Boat Operations there 1985 - 1987. This base consisted of a Submarine Tender(the USS Hunley AS-31 relived by the SS Simon Lake AS-33 when I was there)and the floating dry dock USS Los Alamos AFDB-7 anchored in the middle of Holy Loch. Between them were two YFNB barges which housed SUBRON-14 and Boat Operations.There were also three yard tugs there operating from the SUBRON-14 barge, the Piqua YTB-793, Natick (YTB-760). and SAUGUS (YTB 780) as well as a huge floating yard crane.

Ashore wasn't really a base insomuch as it was a few buildings throughout the community that were operated as NSA Holy Loch. The EM club was hopping EVERY night filled with Wee Scottish Lasses and us horny squids. It was closed in June 1992.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Keflavik NAS, Iceland.
Bitburg AB, West Germany.
MINSY, Vallejo, CA.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
Loring AFB, Maine.

Went up there one weekend to play in a basketball tournament in '89 (I think). Beautiful drive over from NY. I wouldn't have minded being stationed there, but alas I was Army, and while lucky enough to be stationed at Griffiss AFB (only because it was close to Ft. Drum and had facilities for our aircraft which Drum did not have), Loring would have been too much of a commute. Big Grin

My vote goes for Griffiss. While I hated my time in the Army, I loved my time at GAFB. Lots of great memories and lots of great friends made that I still keep in touch with. It was shut down in the early 90s thanks to Slick Willie and is now a business park. Our old barracks is gone and even the road it was on was reclaimed (though the last time I drove through you could still barely see where it was). The trees and bushes that were around the barracks are still there though and I can still imagine the buildings being there. I did take some "now" pictures from the same vantage point that I took some "then" pictures way back then. It's really sad to see the differences in the two.

Lots of the old buildings are gone, including the base chapel which was right next to the hospital. My friends were married there and we held the funeral for their son (my God son) there as well. Frown

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My favorites: Presidio Base, San Francisco. We used to go to the PX there with my dad.

Treasure Island: I hate how it went to the San Francisco politicians and their cronies.

Alameda Naval station. Just because.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19697 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
My favorites: Presidio Base, San Francisco.

Presidio is beautiful. Awesome (and difficult) golf course.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post