SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your favorite now CLOSED military base/post?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite now CLOSED military base/post? Login/Join 
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
Bergstrom Air Force Base, outside of Austin, TX.
+1

When I was a kid I wanted to fly F-4s, and I wanted to be stationed at Bergstrom.

Two things prevented that from happening:
1- Bergstrom got rid of RF-4s, and went to F-16s as a Reserve base.
2- I washed out of pilot training. Frown

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I liked Subic Bay.
I really liked Mare Island.
But, my Favorite was Naval Reactor School outside of Idaho Falls. I spent three years there and loved the area.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4247 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwood4:
Reese AFB, Lubbock, Texas. They had fighter training here. In WW2 glider training. Miss the people it brought in.
Sorry, but Reese AFB did not have "fighter training" at any time in it's history.

It was always just a regular old undergraduate pilot training (UPT) base. They never had Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals (IFF), it's predecessor Lead In Fighter Training (LIFT), or any Formal Training Unit (FTU) for any "fighter" aircraft.

Reese did have T-33s, a two seat variant of the F-80 used for pilot training, prior to the T-38s. The T-38s were similar to the F-5, but neither the T-33 or T-38s were actual fighter aircraft, and the training done at Reese in both the T-33s and T-38s was "undergraduate pilot training" (UPT), prior to students attending IFF (or LIFT), and then an FTU for their actual "fighter."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Barbers Point NAS on Oahu was fun.

Not sure what is there now...

Always wanted to go to Ft. Ord - never been there.

------------------------------
I agree, Barbers Point was a lot of fun, I was there from Dec 65 to Nov 67 in VR-21. Hated to hear it closed.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Ellington AFB, Houston, TX

I miss seeing the F102 Delta Daggers, F101 Voodoo's, F4 Phantoms and F16 Falcons flying out of the base as a kid. NASA still flies T-38 Talon training aircraft out of the airfield, but it's just not the same...

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Fort Sherman Panama J.O.T.C.

Posts: 6024 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Puddle Pirate
Picture of kornesque
posted Hide Post
Adak, AK.

Was never there when it was alive, but we've pulled in there twice now for logistics and it's pretty much the coolest place I've ever visited. Apparently the people just up and vanished back in '97. You walk through the old housing and there's still people's personal effects in desk drawers, assignments on the high school desks, medical records in file cabinets in the old medical building...straight up ghost town.

We were just there a couple weeks ago and the natives have been handed over just about everything so there's not as much to explore anymore but it's still neat to imagine the hustle bustle that used to go on. The population's only a couple hundred now, down from 6,000.

NAS Alameda was always cool to drive through. They left the CG housing down on that end of the island cause it was a shithole, it got so bad they've even closed most of THAT down. My brother was on Carl Vinson back when she was there, we like trading stories about our mishaps on Park Pl.

"Happiness is red and free."

Posts: 1794 | Location: Low Country, SC | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in the 70s, Myrtle Beach was nothing but campgrounds on the beach. We had an old Avenger trailer and an Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser with a 455ci monster under the hood. 14 hours we'd drive to pitch camp in the front row (we made reservations each year for the next).

The whole way there, all I dreamed of was those A-10s that would practically scrape our trailer heading out to see from Myrtle Beach AFB. Seemed that way to me as a kid anyway. I have always loved that plane since then. Loved the AFB, and the low key aire of MB in general at that time. The base is gone, the beach has totally changed and built-up/commercialized. A bit of good news yesterday though, the old wart lives on!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/...nt-air-force-budget/

Posts: 11403 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Ft. Ord,CA It was right on the Monterey Bay, so much to do and see. The women, I had way to much fun there
+1

It seems so long ago now (because it was. Frown ) General Hal Moore was post commander then.

My dad was stationed at Ft. Ord for a while. I wonder if General Moore was there when he was there. I'll have to ask him.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Moore AFB, Mission, TX. I was raised on it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20338 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Charleston Naval Shipyard. Charleston SC.
Was on two different DLGs in the early 70s that were home ported there. USS Macdonough DLG-8
and USS William H Standley DLG-32
My oldest daughter was born at Charleston Naval Hospital in June of 75 and I got out September 75.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Fort Chaffee in Ft. Smith Arkansas.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
Myrtle Beach AFB. Although I was with the 82nd ABN at Ft. Bragg in the mid 1980's, Myrtle Beach was only two hours away. We could eat for free in the chow hall with our meal card and enjoy the beach during the day.

Posts: 756 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Darby Kaserne, FRG. It's an office park or some such thing now.

Posts: 7081 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Just curious if anyone was ever stationed at Clinton Sherman AFB at Burns Flat OK. It had/has a 13,000+ foot runway. After closure it's been pitched as a space port due to location and runway length but that never happened.

Posts: 11889 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NAS Port Lyautey, Morocco. My sister and I were born there several centuries ago...

Posts: 162 | Location: Hartwood, VA | Registered: September 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marine Corps Air Station (H), Tustin, CA. Spent a good portion of my career there and worked in both of the blimp hangars (HMM-161 and HMM-163). Now I get to see one of the hangars in car commercials.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 180 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Ft. Monmouth, New Jersey. Was the Home of the Signal Corps when I was there, in the early 70's. Was closed in 2011.

I was there in 61 and 65. "The Country Club".

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Several bases I was stationed at are now closed. Heck, even the one I was born on is closed.

I guess my favorite (by a small margin) was Naval Station Pascagoula Mississippi. Maybe because it was closest to my hometown of any I was stationed at but mostly because underway meant superb weather and port visits across the Caribbean. Roosevelt Roads, GITMO, Aruba, Jamaica, Bahamas, Curacao, U.S. Virgin Islands, maybe some I'm not remembering ... enjoyed those port visits. Would also see North Atlantic countries in Europe as part of NATO ops from Naval Station Pascagoula.

Was stationed on east coast and west coast and back and forth, at stations now closed that I have fond memories of and saw other parts of the world from as well. Was hard to pick a favorite.

I'm actually currently stationed on the island, although I'm at the Coast Guard station

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Several bases I was stationed at are now closed. Heck, even the one I was born on is closed.

I guess my favorite (by a small margin) was Naval Station Pascagoula Mississippi. Maybe because it was closest to my hometown of any I was stationed at but mostly because underway meant superb weather and port visits across the Caribbean. Roosevelt Roads, GITMO, Aruba, Jamaica, Bahamas, Curacao, U.S. Virgin Islands, maybe some I'm not remembering ... enjoyed those port visits. Would also see North Atlantic countries in Europe as part of NATO ops from Naval Station Pascagoula.

Was stationed on east coast and west coast and back and forth, at stations now closed that I have fond memories of and saw other parts of the world from as well. Was hard to pick a favorite.

I'm actually currently stationed on the island, although I'm at the Coast Guard station

AWESOME. I used to park my truck just at the end of the causeway and ride a bike to the ship. Those few minutes energized me, scenery cleared and put me in a good frame of mind to start the day. Unless there was a downpour, still rode in and back out at the end of the day. Mosquitoes were just well, terrible during our mandatory morning workouts. Hated putting on all the deet when they were worst. OH ... and the Nutrias. Saw a few.

EDIT: I had no idea the Coast Guard was still there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4755 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post