SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat? Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Hey Richard; I meant the Vineea not the beer

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local grocer had a couple of varieties of Viennas for the Hispanic community; I got two cans of Goya regular, one of hot chicken Goya. The can of hot ones will be an afternoon snack.

BTW, they're fifty cents a can more than the Armour brand.

ETA: I did a comparison between the hot Goya, and Armour Hot and Spicy. The Goya ones are much better, less messy than the Armour (which are regular ones doused in hot sauce; the Goya's have it cooked into them). And: going by the USDA establishment number on the cans, they're both produced in the same plant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
<snip>
And: going by the USDA establishment number on the cans, they're both produced in the same plant.

Very interesting. I didn’t know of the USDA establishment number.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
voted "other"

Not really a "tasty treat", but I'm not scared of them either. Had plenty on various fishing trips and none the worse for it. They can be good when you're hungry - can of viennas and a sleeve of saltine crackers; maybe a dash of hot sauce or something...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not really a fan. I've had them before, they have a strange taste, in my opinion.

However, I love SPAM.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
<snip>
And: going by the USDA establishment number on the cans, they're both produced in the same plant.

It's inside the little circle/seal which says it was inspected. Again, I was quite impressed with the hot chicken Goya sausages.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I couldn't hold off. Those Goya Viennas tasted great.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I scarfed down my cans of Goya Viennas (the regulars) with saltines. Also much better than the Armour (and most definitely better than Libby). I'm a fan. Smile

posted Hide Post
We keep them in the boat in case you get hungry and you can leave because the fish are biting. Best way to eat them is in a Pringles sandwich with a Vienna in the middle. Coon ass fishing delicacy....

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
<snip>

It's inside the little circle/seal which says it was inspected. Again, I was quite impressed with the hot chicken Goya sausages.

Thanks for that tip.

But there’s no number in that circle on my 4.6oz can of Libby’s Vienna Sausages. I see just:

INSPECTED
FOR WHOLESOMENESS
BY
U. S.
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Mystery meat tube nuggets, I hate to say it I freaking love them.............

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Pipe Smoker: [/QUOTE] Thanks for that tip.

But there’s no number in that circle on my 4.6oz can of Libby’s Vienna Sausages. I see just:

INSPECTED
FOR WHOLESOMENESS
BY
U. S.
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE[/QUOTE]

Exactly where the processor put the number will vary; either on the label, or the top or bottom of the cans along with Best by dates, production codes, etc. I'll check Libby's tomorrow on the next grub run.

And now for the interesting part: my Goyas and Armour were both made in the big Conagra plant in Fort Madison, Iowa per the code. Guess who owns Libby's also? Yep, Conagra.

ETA: I bought a can of Libby's this morning; the markings on the bottom aren't very friendly, but the establishment is the last three characters; Conagra facility in Archbold, OH made them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Dang! I still can't find Goya Viennas around here.

quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Mystery meat tube nuggets

Big Grin Omgosh, that's funny!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichardC:

Dang! I still can't find Goya Viennas around here.

I can't either, and I was at a grocery store yesterday that carried a "ton" of Goya products.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stumbled across another brand; Carmela. They're chicken, and it looked like real chicken broth they were packed in. Very tasty, actually had a bit of a snap almost like a hot dog. Next to the Goya sausages in one store; they're processed in Puerto Rico.