SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I didn’t know of Lance crackers. If I can find them at any of my grocery stores
A staple in the vending machine in the pilot's lounge at any small airport.

I have often heard that the most dangerous part of flying is the "food" found in the pilot's lounge. My experience indicates that this is true.

Available at Pooblix' Grocery stores, just had a pack of the Toast Chee Spicy Cheddar...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have often heard that the most dangerous part of flying is the "food" found in the pilot's lounge. My experience indicates that this is true.

And, in my experience, the most dangerous part of riding a motorcycle long distance is eating a Convenience store Burrito.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
put them in a small bowel with mustard and hot sauce.

Um... EWWW! Eek Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I remember packing them for backpacking outings in my school age years. Haven't touched them since and honestly see no reason why to buy any these days.

Vienna sausages = bland, rubbery canned sausages with an unremarkable flavor.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're a tasty treat!
No way, those things are mystery meat.
Not bad, but I only keep them for the dog.
I wouldn't dare mistreat my dog that way.

Other: Food of the Gods

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

And, in my experience, the most dangerous part of riding a motorcycle long distance is eating a Convenience store Burrito.
^^^^^^^^ been there== done that== got that T-shirt. ............ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
put them in a small bowel with mustard and hot sauce.

Um... EWWW! Eek Razz

Vienna style haggis right there.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody is asleep on this forum!!! LOL

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always a backup with Spam at hunting camp. Like them once in a while at home when we are too lazy to fix anything for lunch.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I remember my brother eating lots of them when we were little. I don't recall eating them myself, and have no desire to try them now. That said, my dogs love `em. But they lick each others' butts too, so ...

I do like Spam, though. Slice it and fry it with a slice of cheese on top, makes a great sandwich.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

(That Underwood Deviled Chicken is good stuff too)

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nobody is asleep on this forum!!! LOL

Had to pick at ya just a little, man. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Monday's lunch was a can of drained Vienna sausages cut into pieces and mixed with a can of SpaghettiOs. So yes, tasty lunch meat.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
SpaghettiOs

That made me laugh. I haven't had that since I was in the single digits.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in the same league as Spam .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I voted "Other" because I think they taste terrible, and their "feel" is gagging. I do admit that on a sojourn in the wild in Labrador one day it was all the food along and I ate a couple--it's possible to get them down if one is hungry enough.

Spam? I'm with Expert308 on this--I slice it and fry it and make sandwiches of it. Yum! (No cheese for me, though.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vienna sausages = bland, rubbery canned sausages with an unremarkable flavor.

the peculiar physical properties make it difficult to determined which is the least gruesome way to actually eat one. It's been easily 50+ years since my most recent uhhhnnn....'taste'....of one. And is that semifluid surrounding them, is that some kind of lubricant to make them so tightly packable, or is it squeezed out during the process of putting them in their little round dungeon?

#2 son got great mirth in his college years, discovering new eating experiences....one he insisted was the worst he ever had...."Meat Food Product" IIRC....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Not in the same league as Spam .

Correct.

SPAM is the Gentleman’s treat. Something to be enjoyed after a game of polo, or perhaps snacked on after the opera. Making a SPAM dinner for that special someone the first time you invite her over says “Yes, I am a Gentleman and I can cook. I may even show you my riding crop”.

Vienna sausages, on the other hand, are the commoner’s food. Best enjoyed at 0300 in the morning when you are coming down from a coke fueled binge of Steven Segal movies and shots of Goldschläger , wondering if you can get the dead hooker out of your bedroom before mom gets off her shift at the Waffle House.

No comparison. SPAM all the way.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Follow me for more recipes