SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    M.L. baseball umpires
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M.L. baseball umpires Login/Join 
posted
Its been a while since the photo replay started up , and I was wondering

Where would a guy find a giant spread sheet with the list of ump's
and the number of bad calls they made during the previous season ?

example:
Blindy Mc Cluless
7 bad calls at home plate
14 bad calls at 1st base
9 bad calls at 2nd base
11 bad calls at 3rd base

41 bad calls out of 127 calls made in
54 games

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"No such thing as a bad call by an umpire. We make two types of calls, the ones you agree with and the ones you don't"

As quoted by an umpire I knew.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt they would let some list like that out to the public if they had one.
They try to keep that stuff quiet.
I have heard of College football coaches filling with their conference, about a bad call that maybe cost them the game, but you never hear of any response.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If they fired Angel Hernandez and Joe West, that would eliminate about 95% of the errors.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Any info you find online is more likely to be organized around how often the Umps are 'right' in calling games.

And for the record, even with Angel Hernandez skewing the numbers (bingo Edmond), overall, umps are right better than 99% of the time. Link Let's see another human run enterprise that gets as much attention as MLB umpires beat that average. And for the record, I played high school and college baseball, and coached youth baseball for upwards of 10 years, so I have had my run ins with umps over the years.

Umpires do an incredible tough job, and they do it very well overall.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
If they fired Angel Hernandez and Joe West, that would eliminate about 95% of the errors.

Joe West is horrible. Very inconsistent.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Joe West is horrible. Very inconsistent.

He's so horrible he can't even be consistently horrible. Big Grin

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I love Joe West, he isn't even in the same league as Angel Hernandez.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remove Angel Hernandez and the umpires remaining do an incredibly tough job and they do it well.

Where else does your every decision get reviewed from 6 different angles in HD and super slo-mo?

Most overturned decisions take much longer than 2 minutes to review because it simply wasn’t visible to the naked eye in real-time and was almost impossible to decide in super slo-mo.

Angel’s reviews, however, generally take well under 2 mins and probably didn’t even need slo-mo. He’s a joke.

Joe West generally is (or was) a decent umpire, but he needed to retire a couple years ago, before he lost whatever little mobility he still had.

If you want to talk about terrible officiating, let’s talk about the NFL.

Disclaimer: I was a softball umpire from ‘90 to ‘12, working girls, womens and men’s fast pitch, including some college ball. I only retired when I broke my ankle badly enough to need 2 surgeries.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I love Joe West, he isn't even in the same league as Angel Hernandez.

I just don't recall seeing Hernandez. But watch NL mostly. Does that matter?
Kevin. Know you're in STL. I lived in the area and I'm a life long Cardinals fan. Uncle took me to a game at Sportsmans Park when I was really young.
Please tell me he's better than Don Denkinger.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
You guys might have left the worst umpire of all out of the discussion; C.B. Bucknor.

An anonymous ESPN poll in 2010 of 100 MLB players picked Bucknor as the worst umpire in baseball with 42% of players naming him on their ballots. There was even consensus between leagues as he topped the lists in both the AL and NL. Close behind Joe West was cited on 40% of the ballots.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
You guys might have left the worst umpire of all out of the discussion; C.B. Bucknor.

Bucknor is pretty bad, not quite at Hernandez level but, pretty bad.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys are saying that the coach's just accept the fact that there are great umpire's and there are pitiful umpire's and you get what you get ?

and no one says anything to the m.l.b. commishiner's ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

An anonymous ESPN poll in 2010 of 100 MLB players picked Bucknor as the worst umpire in baseball with 42% of players naming him on their ballots. There was even consensus between leagues as he topped the lists in both the AL and NL. Close behind Joe West was cited on 40% of the ballots.

I had a complete mental block on his name yesterday (I could see his face, but the name escaped me). He's not nearly as awful in the field as he is behind the plate. His strike zone is totally inconsistent; one pitch that should be a strike is a ball, right down the edge of the plate, and the next pitch, which should be a ball, about 3" off the plate, is called a strike. In and out, up and down. And so on.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It continues to be a mystery to me that folks object to strike tracking systems that can eliminate at least that part of the variability. Usually get some BS like "it's part of the game", etc.

That would be like sanctioning NHRA drag races using two folks and this to measure results:

I'd be ok with chipping footballs too, and putting a sensor at the goal line. Not trying to eliminate all human factors, just the key ones prone to mistake.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
you guys are saying that the coach's just accept the fact that there are great umpire's and there are pitiful umpire's and you get what you get ?

and no one says anything to the m.l.b. commishiner's ?

They have a union.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post