SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smart Thermostat - WiFi Models that you like?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smart Thermostat - WiFi Models that you like? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not just that. It's also that, once you put it on the Internet, it's another potential hole in your LAN's security.

Valid point, would certainly prefer zero access points, however it is getting more and more difficult to find products with the functionality people want, and no web access if you wish for automation at your home.

Light bulbs, switches, security devices, TV's, Firesticks, T-stats, even refrigerators are hooked to the web via app/host connections.

Gonna be difficult to find anything that isn't hooked to some company by the internet, data is the current gold rush...

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Programmable thermostat--can set to specific times for Eco mode, Comfort mode, Sleep mode.
Smart Thermostat--like a programmable thermostat but you can access remotely. Also , a smart thermostat can be linked to a cell phone to adjust temperature settings based on location (GPS). Example, wife bumps thermostat to 75 in the winter but then gets in the car. Smart thermostat identifies wife has left-returns temp setting to reg temp.
Your Electric Supplier may give you a Smart Thermostat and/or incentives for using a Smart Thermostat.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I’m having a hard time understanding how something can be WiFi enabled but not connected to the internet???

My kids, their friends, students at school have this same problem. It’s because they didn’t grow up before the internet. WiFI is not internet and neither is Ethernet. Rather they are both ways to connect devices together forming a local area network (LAN). This enabled computers to share a printer, scanner, files, programs, etc. In the early days, wires were required to connect devices to a LAN. Then WiFi came along and devices could be connected to a LAN wirelessly. That’s it. WiFi has nothing to do with the internet. It’s just a way to connect devices together in a small area.

Posts: 10796 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^

Well I’m probably as old as you, maybe older, but internet access and issues are out of my wheelhouse. I have always gone by the mantra of hiring people who are smarter than I am about any particular subject..;-)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Think of it this way, a LAN is your Local network of devices, anything that has network connectivity inside your facility, traditionally this was a wired network, coax, twisted pair. Everything was connected to the LAN via a cable of some type, to a router to servers.

The WiFi is simply another method of connectivity to the LAN, albeit no physical cable, it's still on the LAN but wireless transmission of packets vs wired.

The internet is a network outside of the LAN, so it's feasible that you could have devices that are controlled by other devices on the LAN without connectivity to some internet host but doubtful due to the financial gains possible for the developer of the product/app to them from selling off data they compile from end users.

The risk Ensigmatic states, will it open a hole in your security that allows some foreign hacker to enter your home network through the app and plant a trojan horse on your network, hold your data hostage for millions. Probably not.

Anything is possible, but, doubt you're at high risk for a massive security breach through a Nest thermostat using an app on an iDevice.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I was bored one weekend and built my own using a PLC, all told it was ~$1.5k including the PLC, I/O cards, and 10" touch screen (touchscreen was the most expensive part, but I had all the stuff laying around). It's connected to my network via Powerline adapter... I can access it locally or remotely using my iPad or android phone. It's also IoT enabled and does a few more things in my house besides being an over-engineered thermostat... It's total overkill for it's purposes, did I mention I was bored one weekend? Wink

I know this is absolutely no help to you, sorry. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just replaced mine. It was an Aprilaire 8463 that died after only 8 years.

One important thing to keep in mind... You will need to know if you have a "C" wire available. I believe that is a 24 volt power wire from your furnace that powers the thermostat. Without that, any digital unit will be powered solely by batteries. There may be some wifi enabled ones that dont need the C wire but I didnt find anything locally avaiable. Even the nicer ones that are not wifi need the C wire. I think you can add power separately but that was more than I was willing to do.

I ended up with a $25 Honeywell programmable - non wifi - unit. It has a very small display and does not show the set temp and actual room temp at the same time. But at least I have heat.

I will probably buy another Aprilaire and keep the cheap Honeywell for emergency in 8 more years!

Posts: 580 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
One important thing to keep in mind... You will need to know if you have a "C" wire available. I believe that is a 24 volt power wire from your furnace that powers the thermostat. Without that, any digital unit will be powered solely by batteries.
The "C" wire is the 24VAC common. Depending on the cable installed, specifically the number of conductors, sometimes it can be connected if it wasn't initially(if there is a spare, usually, black wire). The color isn't as important as having a spare available, of course it could be run after the fact...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
One important thing to keep in mind... You will need to know if you have a "C" wire available.
The "C" wire is the 24VAC common. Depending on the cable installed, specifically the number of conductors, sometimes it can be connected if it wasn't initially(if there is a spare, usually, black wire). The color isn't as important as having a spare available, of course it could be run after the fact...

That's what I had to do when installing our Honeywell programmable t'stat.

I simply secured the new cable to the old and pulled it through. But I was lucky: It was a very short run with the existing t'stat located on a hallway wall essentially directly above the furnace in the laundry room below, and they hadn't stapled-down the original cable. (Good thing I hadn't put the original in. I would have stapled the cable to the studs.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25988 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know this is absolutely no help to you, sorry.

No but it's super nerdy and awesome.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9140 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
built my own ... PLC ... touch screen ... Powerline adapter ...

I'm way curious! Cool

- - -

ETA: I'm specifically curious: whose PLC and HMI did you use?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13395 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have 2 lower lever Ecobee tstats.
AFAIK they're only wifi enabled to connect to the app via my phone.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just put in 3 Nest's for a customer I had to do some major boiler work for. He's coming back from Arizona tonight. May have to help him set them up tomorrow.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with my Nest T-Stat for about five years now.

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
We have 2 lower lever Ecobee tstats.
AFAIK they're only wifi enabled to connect to the app via my phone.

Unplug the incoming internet cable from your modem to find out.

Posts: 10796 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm a retired Electronic Engineer who loves technology and embraces it.

However, I find absolutely no need for a Thermostat that's on WiFi in my life. For me it would be a toy that never got used.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 radio therms. Way out of date, but they're what i could find when i had the same requirements. They can internet if you want to use the phone app, but mine are firewalled away and are controlled by my homeassistant. The phone app is pretty useless anyway, all the smarts are in the homeassistant.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I'm a retired Electronic Engineer who loves technology and embraces it.

However, I find absolutely no need for a Thermostat that's on WiFi in my life. For me it would be a toy that never got used.
It't pretty useful for me. There are many days that I am away from home with no fixed schedule for my return; I work until the work is finished (fat chance!), or I'm too tired to do any more of this today, then I head for home.

While I'm away, the thermostat is set to keep the HVAC system at low power consumption. When I'm ready to go home, I can use the app to set the thermostat for a comfortable temperature.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30525 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This Months CONSUMER REPORT Gave Nest a score of 83, However BRAEBURN was thier pick with a score of 74 at $120 vs $250 price tag. My HVAC guy said Nest was the issue with most of his calls. The Hvac was fine the nest was causing the failures. He hates Nest.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8315 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've dealt with Honeywell's RTH9585 before. It was easy to set up and use, and the homeowner's use was similar to what V-Tail describes.

God bless America.

Posts: 13395 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post