SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smart Thermostat - WiFi Models that you like?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smart Thermostat - WiFi Models that you like? Login/Join 
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Proliphix IMT550

Honestly don't see what the issue is with having a smart stat that communicates with the company that makes it, but get that some folks do.

In order to fund the development of the product they need a revenue stream, so it's either monthly fees or data exchange. Not sure what private data that we're giving up that is going to be used in a negative way, if you want a remotely programmable t-stat, it's just part of that world.

Maybe some Eco-Terrorist will break into their servers and see who's running the heat at 80 or AC at 68 and out us on Twitter or Fakebook, send over 20 stinky environmentalists to protest T-Stat abuse or some shit at the casa.. Unless it's the ecologically sound gal from Yellerstone, she wasn't bad looking and seems to like older fellers in cowboy hats so there is that....

Have the Nest and the data we get from it really isn't useful as far as energy analysis ability, you don't get run times, temps, ambient any programming that might help with power use consumption. Basically you get a pretty unit that works well, has limited intelligence but, you can run your kids T-stat in MI while sitting on the crapper at a truck stop in Dubuque Iowa.

I'd be interested in one that provides better data and reporting on energy use, time, hours run, setting, outside temp, per watt cost etc

OTOH, having to climb the stairs a couple of times a day is good cardio so.... Big Grin

I am sad to see Proliphix gone. The IMT550 is a commercial t-stat, the local multi-plex has 1 or 2 in every theater. Their cloud access is a paid for add-on.

I want a product that still works when the company goes out of business. Several home automation systems that require internet access to function have gone out of business forcing all the customers to switch to something else. And I don't mean oh you lost remote access - devices stopped functioning for local tasks because the company shut off the servers.

Selling products is also a revenue stream. I agree if you want remote access that utilizes resources you need to pay somehow, I dont want company supplied remote access.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post