SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water Faucet Survey - Which Side for Hot & Cold ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Water Faucet Survey - Which Side for Hot & Cold ... Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Just moved into a recently built home in Middle Tennessee and something, easily fixed I know, is bugging me, the hot/cold position of valves for the water faucets.

What say you

Question:
Which Side of the Faucet Should (read: is your "Normal") the Cold and Hot Valve Be Located?

Choices:
Hot on Left, Cold on Right
Cold on Left, Hot on Right
Doesn't matter, I chenge them to how SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) wants them
Doesn't matter, I change them randomly to mess up others in the house
I adapt to however the installer positioned them

 






Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.



"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...



 
Posts: 15033 | Location: It was CA., Now it's "FREEEEEEDOM!!" (TN) | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The “three rules of plumbing:”

Hot’s on the left,
Cold’s on the right,
Sh*t don’t flow uphill.




Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
God bless America.
 
Posts: 16404 | Location: VA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Bout like asking which way to TP should come off the roll.

Hot is always on the left.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8039 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It has always been traditional to have hot on the left and cold on the right, for no particular reason I can think of.
 
Posts: 32050 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hot is on the left.

The patent for the TP holder was filed and approved with the sheets coming over the top to the front (much to the delight of cats everywhere).




 
Posts: 10482 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
What if the knobs are oriented in the conventional manner but both rotate in the same direction instead of one CW and one CCW to turn the water on or off?
 
Posts: 1129 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I thought hot on left was almost standard.
 
Posts: 7552 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Hot on the left. That's the standard. Your house do what you want but we naturally reach for what we are used to.


_____________________________________

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
 
Posts: 16671 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
As it is written,

The “three rules of plumbing:”

Hot’s on the left,
Cold’s on the right,
Sh*t don’t flow uphill.
 
Posts: 5162 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Hot on the left.

Our master bathtub, standing outside it turning the water on, the hot is on the left, but when you get in it and sit across from the faucet the hot is then on the right.




Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
 
Posts: 3857 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
The “three rules of plumbing:”

Hot’s on the left,
Cold’s on the right,
Sh*t don’t flow uphill.


Don’t chew your fingernails




“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“ in my opinion, anything that we can do to trigger a potential aneurysm in a leftist is a good thing and worth doing” nhtagmember 2025
 
Posts: 12375 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
4th rule of Plumbing:

Boss spelled backward is double s o b

Hot is always on the left


Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.
 
Posts: 1191 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I thought hot on left was almost standard.

Agree. True for every place I’ve lived in the US.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11796 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I thought that was the case for all until I got stationed in London.

It changed from hot on the left to hot on the right.
There was a learning curve involved.

Of course a lot of things are ass. backwards over there.

Bob


I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
 
Posts: 4659 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The Plumbing Code usually requires hot on the left and cold on the right.

It’s a safety issue.
.
 
Posts: 12267 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Search "tennessee code for hot and cold faucets" and you will see that hot is required to be on the left. So, if your newly constructed home does not comply, then (a)the subcontractor is at fault and (b)the home inspector prior to certificate of occupancy missed or ignored the issue.

Criss-crossing the supply lines using reputable flexible braided hoses should fix the problem.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6284 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Being the 'I wonder what else they didn't do right' sort of person, if I got a newly-built house with something obvious like that done incorrectly, I might consider having someone knowledgeable look at other plumbing functions to be sure they were done right.
 
Posts: 15788 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hot on the left. I grew up in a house where the hall/kids bathroom shower was reversed. Everything else in the house was correct but that one. I am 57 and still have to think about which side is hot or cold sometimes. Smile



"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson
 
Posts: 1611 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Question for the 6 people who voted hot on right. What country to do you live in? Are you below the Equator? Did you accidently click the wrong answer?


 
Posts: 5705 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Question for the 6 people who voted hot on right. What country to do you live in? Are you below the Equator? Did you accidently click the wrong answer?


The house I grew up in, in NJ, was built before WWI. Hot was on the right. It had the old fashioned European style faucets in some of the sinks with individual single faucets, one each for hot and cold.

My mom is English and moved back in the late 1980's. Her houses there (one 1704 the other 1850) have hot on the right, with the separate single faucets except the kitchen sink and the shower.
 
Posts: 11496 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water Faucet Survey - Which Side for Hot & Cold ...

© SIGforum 2026