Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| The Unmanned Writer |
Just moved into a recently built home in Middle Tennessee and something, easily fixed I know, is bugging me, the hot/cold position of valves for the water faucets. What say you Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own... | ||
|
Member![]() |
The “three rules of plumbing:” Hot’s on the left, Cold’s on the right, Sh*t don’t flow uphill. Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around. — — — — — — — — — — — — God bless America. | |||
|
| Member |
Bout like asking which way to TP should come off the roll. Hot is always on the left. Eight years to retirement! Just waiting! | |||
|
| His diet consists of black coffee, and sarcasm. ![]() |
It has always been traditional to have hot on the left and cold on the right, for no particular reason I can think of. | |||
|
| My other Sig is a Steyr. ![]() |
Hot is on the left. The patent for the TP holder was filed and approved with the sheets coming over the top to the front (much to the delight of cats everywhere). | |||
|
| Member |
What if the knobs are oriented in the conventional manner but both rotate in the same direction instead of one CW and one CCW to turn the water on or off? | |||
|
| Member |
I thought hot on left was almost standard. | |||
|
| Just for the hell of it ![]() |
Hot on the left. That's the standard. Your house do what you want but we naturally reach for what we are used to. _____________________________________ Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac | |||
|
| Member |
As it is written, The “three rules of plumbing:” Hot’s on the left, Cold’s on the right, Sh*t don’t flow uphill. | |||
|
| I'll use the Red Key |
Hot on the left. Our master bathtub, standing outside it turning the water on, the hot is on the left, but when you get in it and sit across from the faucet the hot is then on the right. Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless. | |||
|
| semi-reformed sailor |
Don’t chew your fingernails “You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020 “ in my opinion, anything that we can do to trigger a potential aneurysm in a leftist is a good thing and worth doing” nhtagmember 2025 | |||
|
| More persistent than capable |
4th rule of Plumbing: Boss spelled backward is double s o b Hot is always on the left Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever. | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
Agree. True for every place I’ve lived in the US. Serious about crackers. | |||
|
| I made it so far, now I'll go for more |
I thought that was the case for all until I got stationed in London. It changed from hot on the left to hot on the right. There was a learning curve involved. Of course a lot of things are ass. backwards over there. Bob I am no expert, but think I am sometimes. | |||
|
| Dances With Tornados |
The Plumbing Code usually requires hot on the left and cold on the right. It’s a safety issue. . | |||
|
Member![]() |
Search "tennessee code for hot and cold faucets" and you will see that hot is required to be on the left. So, if your newly constructed home does not comply, then (a)the subcontractor is at fault and (b)the home inspector prior to certificate of occupancy missed or ignored the issue. Criss-crossing the supply lines using reputable flexible braided hoses should fix the problem. ------- Trying to simplify my life... | |||
|
Don't Panic![]() |
Being the 'I wonder what else they didn't do right' sort of person, if I got a newly-built house with something obvious like that done incorrectly, I might consider having someone knowledgeable look at other plumbing functions to be sure they were done right. | |||
|
| Member |
Hot on the left. I grew up in a house where the hall/kids bathroom shower was reversed. Everything else in the house was correct but that one. I am 57 and still have to think about which side is hot or cold sometimes. "I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson | |||
|
| Member |
Question for the 6 people who voted hot on right. What country to do you live in? Are you below the Equator? Did you accidently click the wrong answer? | |||
|
| No More Mr. Nice Guy |
The house I grew up in, in NJ, was built before WWI. Hot was on the right. It had the old fashioned European style faucets in some of the sinks with individual single faucets, one each for hot and cold. My mom is English and moved back in the late 1980's. Her houses there (one 1704 the other 1850) have hot on the right, with the separate single faucets except the kitchen sink and the shower. | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

