SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Explosion in NYC port authority
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explosion in NYC port authority Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
quote:
Law enforcement officials tell The Associated Press that Akayed Ullah was inspired by the Islamic State Group, but apparently had no direct contact with the terrorist group. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the suspect or incident.

https://apnews.com/ec1f7c0078f...derground-passageway

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He's going to spend the rest of his life in a little room in Florence CO. So whatever his physical condition, he's genes aren't going anywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I bet that smarts a bit. Looks like he may have caught his dangly bits in the blast too. Hopefully he successfully removed himself from the gene pool.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Have they said how he came to be in NY? Or the country for that matter.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Probably a house guest of the mayor.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Bangladeshi. How he got in, I have not heard. 37 year old. Resident of Brooklyn.

Tough shit Ahmed, your goat is going to be heartbroken.

You are a failure!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I think this should be viewed as a feel good story. The headline should read "Bumbling fool manages to hurt himself".

"Bumbling Bangladeshi Bomber Blows Off Balls " or something similar. . . Smile

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Fox News saying Isis inspired, suspect/suicide bomber from Bangladesh.

Lone wolf, coincidence, random act of violence . . . . . Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't you mean "workplace violence"????? Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Probably a house guest of the mayor.

That would be funny, if there wasn't a chance it could be true. Smile

Will DiBlasio (and the other libs) ever admit reality?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
No virgins for this guy.

No but I heard the prostitutes lowered their half hour hummer $3 off the normal price for him.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mr pilot, it is still a bit early in the morning here, I had to submit a college eval this morning, arrange for an alternate final exam; I read your post, and now there is Mt Dew all over my screen and kybd. Smile

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Serious question, and I am so very thankful this wasn’t more of a blast, but how the hell does one survive the detonation of pretty much any explosive that is more or less attached to you? I would think the pressure wave alone at that distance would do traumatic internal damage.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I think this should be viewed as a feel good story. The headline should read "Bumbling fool manages to hurt himself".

"Bumbling Bangladeshi Bomber Blows Off Balls " or something similar. . . Smile

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Serious question, and I am so very thankful this wasn’t more of a blast, but how the hell does one survive the detonation of pretty much any explosive that is more or less attached to you? I would think the pressure wave alone at that distance would do traumatic internal damage.

It was probably just an explosive device, no shrapnel.

The concussion isn't what kills unless the device is massive. This is likely why the victims didn't need to go to the hospital, but did report ringing ears and headaches.

Basically, by accident, he made a flashbang instead of a grenade.

It's likely that the perp was wounded by the explosion and the casing from the device (you can still be burned by flashbangs), because of his proximity. Little pieces of flying PVC don't go very far or hit very hard, but if you are holding on to the device or it's strapped to your abdomen, it's still going to do damage.

I suspect this is why authorities are concluding that he did not have any training so early on in the investigation. Had he packed outer casing of the device with nails or ball bearings, we might be dealing with a different result.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, he did say he built the bomb at work....

OT: why does everyone say "ball bearings" when they mean "bearing balls"? A ball bearing is an assemblage of races and balls, not just the balls.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
DeBlasio and Schumer just called for more hardware store oversight.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just another commuting accident.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, he did say he built the bomb at work....

OT: why does everyone say "ball bearings" when they mean "bearing balls"? A ball bearing is an assemblage of races and balls, not just the balls.

flashguy

silencer, clip, lock and load, how do you like those apples? Wink

Posts: 6395 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Talk about an amateur device. It didn’t even detonate. If it had, they’d be picking up this jackass with garbage bags.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post