SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone's smell still jacked up way post COVID?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone's smell still jacked up way post COVID? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both had covid and I spent a week in the VA Medical Intensive Care Unit starting in late October of 2020. Never lost my taste and sell, just sick as the devil.

My wife, however, was largely asymtomatic, but had a mild fever, and lost her sense of taste and smell. Started getting it back, to some degree, in May, but still hasn't got it all and/or it ain't right yet.

For example, I make a great pot of coffee for her every morning. I prefer Cold Brew, but love the smell of that hot coffee. She couldn't smell it at all for a long time, now can smell it, but it "doesn't smell like coffee,
Bob, what did you do to it?"

So I bought her a nice Keurig. At least she doesn't think I'm messing up the coffee.

Several other food items taste and smell differently that they did before the covid, she says.

Bottom line, Covid stinks!

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
Had it in March of 2020.
Smell & taste returned a few months after but I still get a phantom smell of cigarette smoke usually while laying in bed.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got covid in April of this year and about a month ago just got most of my smell and taste back. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I got it the first week of September. Still can’t smell.

I can taste sweet or sour but nothing has flavor. Hot sauce burns but has no flavor.

Today I thought I smelt the soap in the bathroom…but it was only for a split second and then it was as if my nose had been over saturated….

I’m worried about bad meat/food and not smelling the trash etc…

This sucks

And on top of it all, the first thing I get in the morning is coffee and now it’s just hot water.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I got the COVID in July (despite being vaccinated, it’s all bogus). Taste & smell has slowly improved & I’m at about 50% what I used to be

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister in law lost her taste and smell LAST October...been a year and hasn't come back yet. Not good......

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Just checking to see if anyone else smell is still messed up. Whole family had COVID during Thanksgiving last year. Seeing it come back around made me realize how long it's been.

I lost %100 of taste and smell. For around 2-3 weeks. Everything slowly started coming back. I'd say my taste is at about 80-90% of what it was. My smell though I'd say is at around %60-%70 of what it was. Some things smell fine... Some smell not as strong as they used to.... The rest all smells the same. Example: Poop, toothpaste, and coffee all smell the same to me. Best I can describe it is as like a burnt coriander smell.

Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues?

(for what it's worth my other symptoms was basically a light head cold & brain fog during.)

My experience almost exactly. I had it in January, and lost all smell and taste for a few weeks. Taste came back about 90%, and much of my sense of smell (70%), but some things still just don’t smell like they used to. Poop, gasoline, water treatment facility, all smell the same, and none of them like they should. It’s an unknown chemical smell to me. I’ve been doing the smell retraining therapy for a couple months, and I want to say it’s helped — brewing coffee no longer smells awful, but still not quite right; but at least it tastes good again. Essential oils clove, eucalyptus, lemon, and rose — about 10 “whiffs” in each nostril every night. Thank goodness cigars have not been ruined for me.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread, I was thinking about this too.

I had it in August, was just like a typical cold for me until the smell and taste were totally gone.

Realized how bad it was when I was mixing 2 stroke gas and couldn't smell a thing!

2 months later my taste is much better but the smell is still very diminished. Can smell pungent things but not subtle things like food cooking or the outside air.

I also get random exhaust smells stuck in my nose for hours, not sure what that's all about...

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
August here, lost smell and taste.
Smell is for the most part still gone. Can only smell a few things.
Taste is back, but not 100%.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Hot sauce burns but has no flavor.

Let me tell you guys. I made some super spicy chili when my taste was gone. Just because I hadn't tasted anything in about a week. I'm talking SUPER spicy. Even though I couldn't taste it I was still sweating while eating it. Was interesting reaction.

BUT: In all my zeal of adding spice to the chili in hopes to taste it. I totally forgot about the next day. My backside was ON FIRE!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's how I knew I had it...sat down to eat lunch and taste and smell was completely gone. Most bizarre experience I've ever had. That was the first of June. At best now, both taste and smell are appreciably muted.

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Took 10 days to 2 weeks to get mine back. I lost 100% as well. Someone should develop a diet with a way to take away taste/smell. I lost a bunch of weight just because I didn't want to eat, for the first time in my life my wife was telling me to eat more.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've not had it, but was just talking to my BIL the other day, who had it about 2 months ago. He said his taste and smell have mostly come back, but he still can't smell scented chemical smells, like soap and deodorant. Kinda weird.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it in March and lost all taste and smell. Got it all back a month or so later. No lasting effects.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Can’t even taste my whiskey, uggghhh.

Anyone know what red label Bushmills tastes like???

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I got it good, I only lost my sense of taste/smell for like one night.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post