SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone's smell still jacked up way post COVID?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone's smell still jacked up way post COVID? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Just checking to see if anyone else smell is still messed up. Whole family had COVID during Thanksgiving last year. Seeing it come back around made me realize how long it's been.

I lost %100 of taste and smell. For around 2-3 weeks. Everything slowly started coming back. I'd say my taste is at about 80-90% of what it was. My smell though I'd say is at around %60-%70 of what it was. Some things smell fine... Some smell not as strong as they used to.... The rest all smells the same. Example: Poop, toothpaste, and coffee all smell the same to me. Best I can describe it is as like a burnt coriander smell.

Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues?

(for what it's worth my other symptoms was basically a light head cold & brain fog during.)

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Interested to hear your results. I’m just turning the corner after 2 weeks pretty much immobile with Covid. Savory foods make me sick. I can eat fruit and some salad. Very sensitive to spice/pepper which I have never been.

Some food tastes like dirt/garbage.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'm over a year and a half out and my sense of taste and smell are still wrong.

Meat smells rancid to me.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I never lost my sense of taste or smell nor did I run a fever.

However I’ve been told I lost my sense of decency. Pretty sure it was already gone. Whatever. Big Grin just kidding, I’m trying to keep my sense of humor in these trying times.

I had it in mid-March of this year and spent 11 days in the hospital then sent home.

It's so odd how covid has weird side effects. After I was home for exactly 1 week I started getting rapid pulse that would go away after 90 minutes or so. Some days none, or skip 2 or 3 days before another episode, then skip a couple of days. One day it got really bad, I ended up in ER and then admitted for A Fib. Never had A Fib or heart problems before.

Every doc and nurse on that floor (the heart ward floor of a very large hospital) told me the same thing, people who had covid but never a heart problem, recovered from covid and sent home, developed A Fib shortly thereafter.
I spent 3 days there getting it under control. They sent me home with scripts for 2 meds to control the A Fib, and I've never had an episode since. I really don't like taking these extra meds and hope to get off it soon, follow up visit coming up.

Covid is the gift that just keeps on giving, for many people, and it's just so weird how it affects people, and some never get it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 7 months post-Covid. About 75% on taste and smell. Some things like coffee no longer smell right. I can taste sweet, but not all savory. Hot sauces have no taste to me. My wife had it at the same time as me. She has had a hyperactive sense of smell ever since.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I had it just after New Years, probably about 75% of normal right now. Not that big of a deal.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a slight fever but never high enough to trigger to get the test. More like a mild sinus infection. My taste changed but didn't go away. The big thing was Diet Coke tasted metallic. Some tastes are still a little off since last November. My doctor began to suspect an undiagnosed case when I had very extreme reactions to both of my Moderna jabs, I was down for over a week on each one. Several other things led him to believe I had the Wu Flu last November when it was rampant around town.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2885 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash and I both had Covid and neither of us totally lost our sense of smell and taste. Some of it was gone, yes, but not all.

After we got over it, small and taste all came back to where they originally were.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Not me, but definitely the wife. We both had Covid last October. She lost her sense of taste and smell. Her sense of taste returned, but it's been a year now and her sense of smell is still gone.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
I had it right before last Christmas. No loss of taste or smell for me. No fever, no congestion, nothing. I felt fatigued for a few days and that was pretty much it. The only thing that I had afterward was an annoying tickle in my airway that would make me cough. That trailed off over 2-3 weeks and then disappeared.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
With me it seems that the only thing is dishes with tomato paste, sauce, etc... taste metallic.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've been reading some about scent training. Where you sniff things and thing about what they are supposed to smell like. It's supposed to help.

Honestly the only part that bothers me is coffee not smelling like coffee in the morning.

Edit to add: Also not knowing when something is bad. Sniffing some sandwich meat and having to shrug my shoulders and roll the dice.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both had covid right after thanksgiving last year - and both lost smell and taste. Since then, we still both have issues with smell and taste (which we believe the smell issue is impacting the taste) - I'd say I'm about 90% back - my wife about 80% back - we both have certain smells that are still off and tastes that have a metallic taste or just flat with no real high notes of smell or taste for items that should

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My son had it - pretty bad, as he already had a case of bacterial pneumonia when the Covid got him. However, he had no problem with his senses of smell or taste.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I both had it in the first week or so of August. Just within the last week did the majority of my smell and taste return. I would say it lasted a solid 2 months for me. It was frustrating not being able to enjoy coffee and other food and drinks.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had it over thanksgiving. I completely lost my taste and smell. Once I started getting both back there were certain things that smelled or tasted almost rancid after it started coming back. There are certain things I still can’t smell like skunks. Oddly enough I can barely smell them. From the little bit I can smell them, it’s a completely different smell.

Posts: 226 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I haven't had Covid but as I've grown older I've noticed that I am developing an aversion to the smell of cooked meat, broiled, fried, baked, you name it. My ex-wife, who has never had Covid either, has the cooked meat aversion worse that I. We are both in our 70's. I am wondering if, with some of us, our senses of smell and taste change as we grow older and it's just a natural thing and Covid maybe speeds it up some.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2081 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I only lost mine for about 2 days, probably 95% back to normal. I'm about 3 weeks out from initial positive.

My wife, same time frame, still has neither.

Took my sisters, both, a few months, they had it about 6 months apart. Younger was about 2 months ago & still not back to 100%.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My smell is exactly like this now after Covid. Does rubbing alcohol smell bad to you? It does to me now.

quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Just checking to see if anyone else smell is still messed up. Whole family had COVID during Thanksgiving last year. Seeing it come back around made me realize how long it's been.

I lost %100 of taste and smell. For around 2-3 weeks. Everything slowly started coming back. I'd say my taste is at about 80-90% of what it was. My smell though I'd say is at around %60-%70 of what it was. Some things smell fine... Some smell not as strong as they used to.... The rest all smells the same. Example: Poop, toothpaste, and coffee all smell the same to me. Best I can describe it is as like a burnt coriander smell.

Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues?

(for what it's worth my other symptoms was basically a light head cold & brain fog during.)

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had COVID December of 2019. My taste and smell was diminished, but Inevercompletely lost them, but taste came back normal, but smells, I'm more sensitive to somethings, they either smell stronger than they used to, or they smell "off" from before.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post