SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I last had a drink one thousand days ago.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I last had a drink one thousand days ago. Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Heart felt congratulations on your successful war on your addiction. And kudos for a very well written summary of your personal journey / saga.

Prayers for your continued sobriety and love of live!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Yessiree.
Imagine what 2,000 days will be like.
Keep doing what you’re doing, Smudge.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The awkward nature of this condition has me unsure of how to respond, other than to say thank you all, and I hope to be around as long as I can. I feel like I owe an enormous debt, but it doesn't feel like a burden so much as a wonderful opportunity.

To reiterate, this is wholly aimed at the alcoholic still drinking, whether you're a registered member, or an internet drive-by. Just ask someone for help. I promise you, there are many of us who were where you are now, and none of us will say "no."

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I salute you friend on the hardest thing I have EVER done…… a bit over 6 years for me.. it’s a wonderful day when you’re not dead.. !

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m proud of you man.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You got to do what you got to do. Fortunately, you had the fortitude to do so. Good luck in your recovery.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Do you know how to reach 2,000 days? It is a simple two-step approach.

1. Don’t drink.
2. Don’t die.

Big Grin

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your deeply honest post. I'm very happy for the turn you've made, and I believe your post will help others who wish to improve.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
26 days into no booze myself. I was no where as bad as where you were. It just took a close friend of ours being diagnosed with yellowing eyes & a liver x3 times to large. For me to realize I needed to change some habits.

Good for you. Kudos on being so blunt & vulnerable.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy314:
My family is well acquainted with the devastation of alcoholism. Many go down that road, not many have the fortitude to turn around and do the hard work necessary to make things right. Good for you!

Both sides of my extended family have been affected as with a few of my friends. Not an easy battle to fight but it can be done. One cousin recently related one year sober.

On my dad’s side one of his brothers, the uncle I was closest to quit cold Turkey in 1965. Stayed sober until his passing thirty years later. I respected him then and now, it wasn’t an easy path he followed but he did it.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Congratulations I know the struggles you have endured. I grew up in an alcoholic environment. My mother, step father, brothers and sister all dealt with the demons of alcoholism. My mother after being placed in detox, countless times short and long term treatments none of them working, finally reached her low point when everyone stopped enabling her. She placed herself into long term and worked her way through nursing school. My step father didn’t beat it. He was found dead in an Iowa motel room he bled out from both ends.

I commend you on your strength to turn your life away from alcohol.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Congratulations my friend!!!
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure that wasn't easy and it takes a very brave man to let others see some of those sides we'd rather keep hidden. But as people like us learned, sunshine is a wonderful disinfectant.
I'm 950 days today and very grateful to be where I am.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
The only way to keep it is by freely giving it away, Smudge. You're a great example of that.

Just looked it up: I'm at 3,859 days.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I am going on about 12,600 days without taking a drink. When I was in high school, I realized that I have a very addictive personality. Everything I get into, I obsess over and decided that my life would be better without alcohol. I never tried it and now, in my mid-thirties, I am great full for that one moment of clarity. It has kept me out of trouble and kept a little coin in my pocket to spend on other things.

I especially commend those who stopped because it must be significantly harder to stop that train than never get on.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, P220 Smudge. That's a hell of an accomplishment

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Well, Smudge that is some pretty dark shit there.

I am glad you started to turn the corner and from your eloquent dissertation it seems that you pretty much hit rock bottom and had no choice but to change.

It might be interesting to hear how you got to the point you did and why you made the decisions you did to go so far off path?

Love to hear a success story and while it may help someone else - your tales really benefit yourself mostly by being honest with yourself.
I think a lot of people who publicly air their laundry just want someone to feel sorry for them and I hope this is not the case with you - I don't think so and wish you continued success.

Keep it up.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

quote:
My misery was ended and peace gifted through no virtue I know myself to possess, no quality I feel in myself. I was given a gift I often feel I don't deserve, but accept willingly and gratefully.

Yes.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the milestone.

Someday I may tell my story. More to be revealed...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Smudge!

9222 days for me.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and keep up the hard work.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post