SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I now drink black coffee
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I now drink black coffee Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’ve put cream (but no sugar) in my coffee for my whole life. Probably started when I was a little kid, and my mother let me put a bit of coffee in my milk. I’ve always found black coffee too bitter.

In a fairly recent SigForum post about dark chocolate, many folks said that they found 90% and 100% dark chocolate too bitter. I did too, until a couple of years ago when I discovered that I liked both, and especially 100%.

That started me thinking – maybe folks can become acclimated to bitterness, just as they can become acclimated to hot sauces.

So awhile back I began reducing the amount of cream in my coffee – and found that I still liked it. And for several days now I’ve been drinking black coffee – and liked it. Despite the fact that I drink dark roast coffee (Nespresso Ristretto).

This will simplify my life! Faster coffee prep, and no need to buy cream. Might help a bit with weight management too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8988 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club!

Black is the only way to drink coffee. I would suggest, however, that you may want to brush your teeth a little more often...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have always liked it black.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I would suggest, however, that you may want to brush your teeth a little more often...
Or drink it with a paper straw like all the Seattlites do... (LMFAO).

And yes, they do that. Everytime I'm out there it baffles me, but pretty people have to stay pretty I guess.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I tried it for a time but it gave me wicked heartburn. I need the cream or milk to temper it, I've also never been a sugar in coffee fan. To me it ruins the taste.

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That started me thinking – maybe folks can become acclimated to bitterness

Kinda like marriage Razz

Posts: 23512 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those who consider any alteration of 'the Bean' to detract from whatever delights lie within.

'Coffee' does not require endless applications of condiments to enjoy, yet I know many prefer it any way but Straight Bean.

I can no more explain my preference any better than those who add stuff in hopes of making that evil dark liquid palatable to their own taste.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
IF I put anything in my coffee it’ll be heavy cream (just a splash). Makes the coffee like a dessert

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I like my coffee blonde and sweet...like my wife. Big Grin

Posts: 9056 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Heavy cream or half and half.

Sweeten it with stevia if I’m craving sweets.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
For a new black coffee drinker, I suggest silencer smooth blend from black rifle coffee.

As a guy who always masked coffee with copious amounts of sugar, creamer and caramel, this was the first I could drink straight black.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5415 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Been drinking black ever since I started drinking coffee oh so many decades ago.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Only way to drink it.

Truck Stop Coffee can be a challenge at times.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
If I add anything, it is whipped cream to the top. My doc said to reduce my sugar intake so I started transitioning to black last year. Now I can actually taste the difference in coffees. It is amazing how much bad coffee is out there...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I like my coffee like my women - dark and bitter.

Cool

I used to use cream and sugar in but have gone without since 1994.

However, for coffee to really taste good for me, I have to eat something with it. If I don't have a cookie or something, I will nibble from a packet of jelly at restaurants while I wait for my meal to arrive.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I can drink and enjoy black coffee but, do prefer a little cream to smooth it out

Posts: 5340 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I like my coffee blonde and sweet...like my wife. Big Grin

a buddy long ago impressed me with his own notion: He liked his like his ex----cold & bitter... Roll Eyes

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Drinking black coffee will make you hard of hearing. I SAY, DRINKING BLACK COFFEE WILL MAKE YOU HARD OF HEARING. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
My grandpa always said that if you can drink straight black coffee, you can drink coffee from anywhere. You won't always have cream and sugar to fix it up. I do miss my old coffee cup though. My new work one keeps the coffee warmer longer but you can't enjoy holding the warm cup.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Whatever you like! I drink mine at room temperature.

Posts: 17899 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post