SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Presents Franchised Dealers With an Ultimatum on EVs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Presents Franchised Dealers With an Ultimatum on EVs Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
At risk of slight thread drift, here are a couple of my irks with the whole EV push, beyond the simple fact that the grid can't handle that right now:

1) A wise man taught me early in my career, "nobody likes being told what to do." He was right. That goes double for us free Americans. No stinking way do we want business (or worse -- government) telling us what kind of vehicle we're going to be allowed to buy. No, no way, nuh-uh, forget it. After all the .gov vehicles run entirely on EVs -- including the black Suburbans and "mystery vehicles" -- then we'll consider it. Maybe. Ehh, probably not. Roll Eyes

2) I can almost get into the idea of a hybrid, if it's done like Infiniti's Q50 hybrid was. Instead of "a nice electric system for the bulk of the use, plus a small ICE system to help you out when you needed it" (like the Prius and others), the Q50 hybrid had the big ol' V6 up front, and "a nice little hybrid system to help you out when you needed it." I like that plan better -- it alleviates a ton of the "range anxiety" problem, it charges itself, and their system was built (or so I was told) such that if the battery went kapoo, a single cell could be replaced as necessary instead of having to remove and replace the entire battery setup.

3) This is where it gets personal. Suppose I drink the Kool-Aid and go buy an all-electric vehicle. (Ugh.) Now suppose it's got enough range to get me to my brother's place in the next state over (about a four-hour trip, and halfway out in the sticks). What happens then? To recharge before coming home, it looks like my option is to go about 5 miles away to the local Sheetz, find a charger, and hang around there for whatever time it takes to charge. Sheetz isn't really where I want to hang out for a long time, regardless how good the friez are. Now let's travel the other direction and say I go visit my parents, without a Sheetz or a hotel or a public charger anywhere around. What then? To the point: I think it'd be rude as hell to go visit someone and then say, "oh, can I recharge my car while I'm here?" For one, that puts the burden on the host to actually have a charger, and two, it puts the charging cost on that host as well. That's way different from, "Hey, I'm glad to see you, it's been quite a while. Can I use your bathroom?"

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post