SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Updated #2 The 2012 was a bust. Hope to cut a good deal on a 2016 Expedition tomorrow.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated #2 The 2012 was a bust. Hope to cut a good deal on a 2016 Expedition tomorrow. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
The wife is demanding that the van goes. She can't stand it for multiple reasons and I don't have a good argument to keep it. I said if the van goes we are not getting caught up like in the past with something too small.
Prior to 1st kiddo she replaced her Mustang with an Escape, turned out to be a bit to small, so we upgraded it to a Highlander which is a fantastic vehicle just pretty much a no go for 3 car seats.
So I said if we are doing it we are going BIG or not doing it at all. So the green light for a full size SUV was given. I had looked at a Mercedes GL350 with the Diesel but apparently a coworker of hers that she despises drive a GL so she won't be caught dead driving the same thing as that individual so that is a no go.
Outside of that I am a Ford guy I love Fords. So an Expedition EL it is would not mind a Suburban but they are usually 3-4K more expensive than the comparable Expedition.
Our budget puts us in a 2014-2016 with 50k-60k miles.
I plan on keeping the thing for 10 years, we currently do about 12k a year and I forsee that becoming 15k as the boys get older and we have a winter trip to Florida and a Summer trip to Colorado (I hope). I also want to drive to Alaska once.
Well the 2014 with 50K on a 5.4L V8 does not worry me too much. Though these 15 and 16s with the EcoBoost motors and having 50K in just 3 years or less worries me a bit.

As most everyone knows I am absolutely meticulous with maintenance.
This will be a family mover. Very light towing a small trailer with my 4 wheeler or my DR Field and Brush Mower. I'd like to get a little Jon Boat eventually but nothing big.

Any worries with the turbo motor going 200K???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t know yet. Sure hope so

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Ecoboost is every bit a 200k mile motor if not more. There are several forum members with close to or that many miles on them with relatively few issues and many on the Ford forums.

That being said, there are incredible deals on leftover 2017 new expeditions and they'll finance a lot cheaper than a used vehicle. See if you can find one that suits your needs. It may be a little more expensive than a used one with more miles. BUT you have a full warranty and all of your wear items are NEW. So at least for the first 40k miles you have no out of pocket expenses except minor items like oil changes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
All 3.5 turbo repair parts on national back order from Ford... Plastic oil pans... and the mileage difference is so small over the 5.0.

But then again, I have 2 5.0's in the shop now with large holes thru the blocks Frown

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 2013 f150 3.5 eco boost. I have had 1 issue in the last 150k. Yes, i have 150k on mine. It was a 70 dollar part, 10 dollars in bolts and rtv, 5 hours of work.

I think it will easily be a 200k motor.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I just drove 10 hours to Colorado in his 2011 f-150 ecoboost 3.5. He has 203k on it and it has been relatively flawless. I would not hesitate to go on long trips in it and suspect it has another 100K plus left in it. I have a 2012 F150 3.5 ecoboost and have 42k on mine. My only gripe is the gas mileage is not as great as advertised, but the power and torque are very impressive. I will be getting another 3.5 in my next new truck.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I wish I had the optional 3.5 eco but the standard 3.7 does a good job. I love my Transit.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEC505:
All 3.5 turbo repair parts on national back order from Ford... Plastic oil pans... and the mileage difference is so small over the 5.0.

But then again, I have 2 5.0's in the shop now with large holes thru the blocks Frown

Plastic oil pan on the 3.5 Ecoboost didn't come around until the Gen II upgrade. I've got a 2015 F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and it's a metal oil pan.

That said, I've got 42K on my F-150 without issue. Will it last 200K? Don't know but there are members on the F150 and Ecoboost forums who have close to that on theirs. There was also a thread about a guy doing a complete teardown on a 100k motor just to see. There were not any issues.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Yes, the Ecoboost is every bit a 200k mile motor if not more. There are several forum members with close to or that many miles on them with relatively few issues and many on the Ford forums.

That being said, there are incredible deals on leftover 2017 new expeditions and they'll finance a lot cheaper than a used vehicle. See if you can find one that suits your needs. It may be a little more expensive than a used one with more miles. BUT you have a full warranty and all of your wear items are NEW. So at least for the first 40k miles you have no out of pocket expenses except minor items like oil changes.

If you could point me in direction of some 2017 4wd ELs for around 30k that would be great.

Unless some dealer is offering a huge cut from sticker price and 0% no way it would even be close.
My credit union gives the same interest rate be it brand new or 5 years old. They offer a pretty decent extended warranty for not too much money and if you choose one of those they also give you a .25% rate reduction as well.

Also looking at those dealerships that offer the free lifetime powertrain warranties. Yes, fine print I know.

I am likely a couple months out since 4wd prices stay pretty high in the winter and also it is tax return season so lots of buyers and prices are likely a touch high.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good F150/Expedition forum. I would like to read up on them a bit more.

quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
My buddy and I just drove 10 hours to Colorado in his 2011 f-150 ecoboost 3.5. He has 203k on it and it has been relatively flawless. I would not hesitate to go on long trips in it and suspect it has another 100K plus left in it. I have a 2012 F150 3.5 ecoboost and have 42k on mine. My only gripe is the gas mileage is not as great as advertised, but the power and torque are very impressive. I will be getting another 3.5 in my next new truck.

I am clear on the gas mileage. Honestly I am not sure how this has not become some sort of class action suit or payback. Like Nissan had with the Titan and it was either Hyundai or Kia.

We had a 2014 Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost which they claim gets 28 mpg on the Highway.

Never even got close to that I think 23 was the best I ever got and that was with cruise set at 65. Doing 80 I was closer to 21.

————————————————

Saluki
posted Hide Post
No help on your question I guess.

We picked up an Expedition when our kids were young. Absolutely the best transportation decision I've ever made. I can't think of a more comfortable or useful family truckster. Now with the biggy size available even more to like. I got around that with a Thule roof top box.

They all have an Achilles heal, be it transmission, engine, electronics, whatever. You've simply got to accept the flaws mitigate them and move on. Much like choosing a wife, of course nobody wants a closet psychopath, or a Dodge Wink.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now with the biggy size available even more to like. I got around that with a Thule roof top box.

Already got one of those. They are one of the greatest inventions ever!

————————————————

posted Hide Post
3.5 eco-boost owner here, I have a 2015 F150 FX4 with right at 82000 miles without any issues. Yes I am a stickler for maintenance also. Oil, rotate, and complete service every 5000 miles by Ford. I had a 5.0 in my last F150 FX2 mileage about the same due to the FX4 now, but the twin turbos on the 3.5 really make it a BEAST, when the twins kick in she will impress most people. Thats another reason my mileage is low, I can't keep the twins under control!!!
I was always a fan in big block horsepower buy modern technology is taking control

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2.7 EcoBoost here in a 2wd F150.
23k miles, averaging 20mpg.
My mom's 3.5 2011 has over 100k problem free.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I have replaced 4 of those motors and over a dozen turbos in the last year alone, not 1 had over 100k. Most of them had their maintenance done every 5k as ford recommends. If you want it to last I suggest good synthetic oil, and let your turbos cool for a minute before you shut it down. Turbo timer might be a good idea here. A catch can for the oil that gets pumped into the air intake (pcv catch can) so it does not prematurely destroy your catalytic converters. Check your oil level between oil changes, clean your intake and valves every 30-40k with seafoam or something similiar.

My advice skip the turbo and get the 5.0, I've only replaced 2 of those so far, they both had rods poke holes in the block.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
My advice skip the turbo and get the 5.0, I've only replaced 2 of those so far, they both had rods poke holes in the block.

5.0 is not a available in the Expedition.
Only the 5.4 if I go older than 2015.

————————————————

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You could always upgrade the turbos though.

https://www.borla.com/products...harger-upgrade-kits/

Posts: 3384 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 X EL with the 3.5 turbo in it. Less than 10K miles so how long it will last I don't know but most of what I read is positive. Second generation of these which started I believe in 2014 is supposed to be solid.

The 3.5 turbo has plenty of power. My son has a friend who owns one in a F150 and he tows a 19ft enclosed trailer with 4 snow mobiles in it out to Montana a few times a year and no issues.

As far as comfort, ride, ergonomics, room it is probably the best vehicle I have owned and I've driven and owned many.

You can probably find some deals but they still don't come cheap. Mine is the Limited EL 4wd. I bought mine salvages with 6K on it. had a rear end hit. Professionally repaired by a good friend who owns a body shop and has put hundreds of salvaged vehicles on the road.
The sticker on mine was $62,000.
I didn't pay that of course.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
The new expedition platinum EL, has the larger ecoboost which is unleashed with some extra horsepower...for only this model.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Y’all are big ballin with Limited and Platinums!

I am pushing it for an XLT with Leather.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Y’all are big ballin with Limited and Platinums!

I am pushing it for an XLT with Leather.

Skip the leather and add a few more other things you may want, my FX2 was an upgraded XLT with leather and was not impressed with the quality JMO

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post