SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door opener - update - question re: bridge compatibility kits
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door opener - update - question re: bridge compatibility kits Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
My garage door opener (20 year liftmaster; chain) has stopped working, at least intermittently.

It opens / closes when I press the hard wired wall switch.

It only intermittently works using the car remote buttons (built into the car). This just started happening. Sometimes it will work. Sometimes it takes repeated presses and it'll finally work.

I move the car closer and farther from the opener. I try different angles between the car and the door. Nothing seems to help except for repeated presses.

I have 3 buttons - 2 programmed for the door I want. 1 programmed for a second door. The 3rd button works for the second door w/o issue. The first two buttons don't open the door.

I'm guessing there is something wrong with the opener side.

Is this problem fixable? Some component I can replace? Or am I going to have to replace the opener itself?

I'm searching but not finding any info for this yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13128 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Remote needs a new battery?

Posts: 9310 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm using the remote buttons built into the car, not the handheld remote that comes w/ the opener.

So, no battery. Well, car battery but I think that's working since thew car is on. Smile

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13128 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

Have you tried relearning the opener?

The next step is replacing the control board. That’s not particularly difficult if you can find a new one.

Posts: 11720 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How long has this been happening?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 17008 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's happened once about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was a fluke. And came back repeatedly today. But not always. Sometimes it works fine.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31509 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It's happened once about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was a fluke. And came back repeatedly today. But not always. Sometimes it works fine.

It could be this.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 17008 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Do you have LED bulbs in it? I've seen some get picky, something with interference from the LED chips.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16051 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes. But it's the type that works okay with the opener. It's been working fine until just recently.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My old one (20+ years old) had issues with LED bulbs. It finally stopped working and I was able to find an old circuit board on ebay and bought it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8184 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Could be the contacts in the vehicle opener are worn or need cleaning.

Do you have "clickers" that you can try?

Often, the transceivers lose range (strength of signal) over time.

This is simply the type of electronics used not produced to last a lifetime, but for the "few" years. (planned obsolescence)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44520 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
The drive gear can be worn or missing a tooth, fairly easy to replace or the control board.

Posts: 2347 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. Just out of the blue it got cranky about opening, The LED bulb had been in it for several months, took it out and the door went back to working properly. Been several years now and still working.
I would suggest you get rid of LEDs that are close also.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4254 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Check the two electronic 'eye' thingamajig's at the bottom of the door to make sure they are still in alignment with each other.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1444 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Could there have been an object that was moved inside the garage that is now causing interference with the radio signal from the remotes?

Does the fixed internal electronics unit have a removable antenna? Perhaps it has worked loose. Swapping it out with a new/better one is worth a try too. Or, with a cable, moving the antenna to the exterior of the garage.

Would it be possible to swap the electronics module on the working unit with the poorly-operating one? More as a diagnostic than a "solution."

Personally, I'd pull the electronics module, open it up, and visually check for a burst capacitor or other failed part, e.g. corrosion on the power connectors. You may indeed need an entire control board, but sometimes the problem is obvious. Understand that not everybody is comfortable with this kind of intervention, but it isn't rocket surgery.

Posts: 6826 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I had to replace the control board on mine when it started having similar problems, then eventually stopped working altogether. Easy to do and not too expensive.

Posts: 1515 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
I had the same problem. Just out of the blue it got cranky about opening, The LED bulb had been in it for several months, took it out and the door went back to working properly. Been several years now and still working.
I would suggest you get rid of LEDs that are close also.

Exactly. Same problem and solution. The bulb failed, I put in a led bulb. GDO Tech put in an old fashioned incandescent bulb, works fine now.

Posts: 12008 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Available in stores are Door Opener specific LED Bulbs that do not cause interference. Around $10 each.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7312 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I tried the clickers (hand held remotes that came w/ the opener). They are also just working intermittently. Same behavior as the car buttons.

So, more suggestive that there is something wrong with the opener.

I cleaned the safety eye lens. I believe that they are still aligned since the door opens and closes, albeit intermittently.

The bulbs have been in place for years now without issue. Perhaps the bulbs have degraded and are causing an issue now. I can remove the bulb completely and test. But I suspect the bulbs are fine.

I see if I can open it up and look at the control board. I don't think I would have the competency to tell if there is an issue unless something obvious to even a layman. But good to know the part number and check if I can order a replacement. But again, the issue is intermittent, not a complete failure.