SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door opener - update - question re: bridge compatibility kits
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door opener - update - question re: bridge compatibility kits Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Have you tried what someone suggested: take out the LED bulb and see if anything changes? I know you said it's garage door opener compatible but this seems easy enough to try.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20124 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yup, will try that later today.

And try to inspect the internals this weekend.

I wonder how much a new opener would cost.... If I have to replace the opener, get it installed, and have the rails and door re-aligned. More research.... I just hope I can avoid Smart versions.

I just love life's little curve balls.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13128 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
prob can still get a new board. I think the last one I replaced on my old Liftmaster was about $70 installed 4 or 5 years ago.

Posts: 1574 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Yup, will try that later today.

And try to inspect the internals this weekend.

I wonder how much a new opener would cost.... If I have to replace the opener, get it installed, and have the rails and door re-aligned. More research.... I just hope I can avoid Smart versions.

I just love life's little curve balls.

Smart versions (MyQ) are the bomb, I can open the door coming home on my Motorcycle so that it's open and I can drive in without waiting, especially handy if it's raining. I could open it from Timbuktu if needed as long as I have wifi, although probably won't go to Timbuktu....

I also have set an auto close on the door for 1AM, there have been times we've closed the door, heard it going down and for some reason it opened back up, who knows, Cat, Armadillo, tiny Chupacabra running out. At 1Am if the door is open it will close it, so it checks on it.

Also if my daughter comes over I can open it for her, or, let her have access on the app on her phone, and I get a notice the door has been opened/closed, by who, what time.

Another advantage is, crooks scan opener codes, or, if you leave a vehicle outside with the built in opener, all they have to do is break into the car to break into the house.

Built in car openers should be used for gate access if you have that, for the house, if you park outside at times, you've left an open access point.

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, I removed the LED bulb. Still doesn't work.

I noticed that after awhile (leave it alone for hours), it seems to open when I push the button. But then closing is the problem - repeated pushing of the car button or the remote button doesn't work even for several minutes. I have to close the door using the hardwire button (which always works for opening and closing).

Since the hardwire button always works, seems like the opener is generally okay - something wrong w/ the wireless comm subsystem.

Not sure if this is end user fixable - change out some board in the opener? I'll start looking for parts availability.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13128 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We started having problems with our old garage door opener a couple years ago. It often just refused to work.
Figured out that the nearby AFB had evidently added some radio frequencies which often interfered with the remote control. Solution was to add this remote to work around the door-opener's system.

Genie
Fairly easy to install. Works better than ever, and added security (from my antiquated system).

Posts: 1365 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My single door/golf cart door is doing the same, generally it's something with the electronic eye, it gets hit or a screw is loose, there should be a led light on the eyes, make sure they are aligned properly or a wire isn't loose.

we don't use it daily, and I need to fix it, my method is going to be to scrap the 30 year old Overhead door unit and upgrade to a new MyQ capable unit so we can open and close with the app when using the cart.

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Try cleaning the antenna terminal on the back of the unit. Probably just a wire dangling. May just need tightening.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Mine opens and closes fine....in the summer. Come wintertime, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, at least with the remote. If I go inside the garage and use the button that is hard wired in the garage, it always closes. I am starting to think it might be a lubrication issue. I don't know. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6756 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Mine opens and closes fine....in the summer. Come wintertime, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, at least with the remote. If I go inside the garage and use the button that is hard wired in the garage, it always closes. I am starting to think it might be a lubrication issue. I don't know. Roll Eyes

Could be that the relay in your opener has dirty/worn/frosted/weak contacts and can't always duplicate what the hardwired button does.

The Genie unit that I referenced above will effectively replace that relay.

Sounds like several of you might need one.

Posts: 1365 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

Could be that the relay in your opener has dirty/worn/frosted/weak contacts and can't always duplicate what the hardwired button does.

The Genie unit that I referenced above will effectively replace that relay.

Sounds like several of you might need one.

I will have to consider that although I have two remote openers, one inside the house and one attached to my sun visor in the car. At times neither one works, only the one inside the garage that is hard wired. And why do I only have this problem in cooler or cold weather?

Posts: 6756 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
After following this for two days, all I know is one thing; you guys are way more patient and curious than I am. That thing and the one that only works if the weather is just right would’ve been ripped out long ago.

Life’s too short for your garage door not to open.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12747 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Correction: Door won't close with the remote sometimes. Big Grin

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea. I get it on one hand.

On the other, I am curious about how things work and how things fail. If I can learn something, it’s probably good. Many times, what I learn is applicable to other things. Troubleshooting methodology and the actual knowledge of how to fix things. I think it also helps figure out what products to buy - knowing failure points may help me discern good and bad product designs / quality.

But also I just don’t have the finances to just replace whatever breaks. If I must, so be it. But if I can fix this for cheap ($100), I can avoid spending $1000 for a new opener and install. But I have been researching DIY and I think I can probably do the install myself. Still, a new opener is $400.

The opener issue is annoying but not critical. I can work around it and try to fix it. Something like the water heater would be more urgent and get replaced w/in a day or two.

There is a wealth of knowledge here at SF. One can be all the richer by it, both mentally and fiscally.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
The more I think about it the more I recall it taking several days or so to work right after taking the LED out/
Don't ask my as I don't have a clue but right by my door is the area where clocks go wonky on me.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4254 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have 3 buttons and 2 doors. The 3rd button works fine w/ door #2.

I've programmed the first and second buttons in the car for door #1 (the opener w/ which I'm having issues). This was painful since it wasn't working all and wasn't sure if the programming failed or it was just the opener not working.

In any case, I have 2 buttons now confirmed working. We'll see how intermittent this is and whether the issue with button #1 or both buttons (I've been using #1 all these years, never really used button #2). I'm assuming that button #2, #3 are completely fine - if there is an issue on the car side, it's limited to button #1 and not common across all 3 buttons (as evidenced by at least #3).

If button #2 doesn't work either, then I'm guessing it's time to replace the opener. I can't find parts for my model - too old I guess.

The antenna and board seems okay - nothing obvious to me (which doesn't really say much). Antenna is soldered to the board.

I'll struggle w/ this one more week. I may be changing openers next weekend..... Hope I can DIY.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Have you tried unplugging the opener and plugging it back in?

Have you tried relearning the remote in the car?

Do you have another remote besides the one built into the car that you could test?

Posts: 11720 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Have you tried unplugging the opener and plugging it back in?

Have you tried relearning the remote in the car?

Do you have another remote besides the one built into the car that you could test?

Haven't tried unplugging. The plug is in the ceiling about 12' up. I can't reach it.

I re-did the remote buttons in the car.

I tested the stock handheld remote.

I'm not sure the handheld is doing any better than the car buttons.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:...The plug is in the ceiling about 12' up. I can't reach it....

Flip the breaker off and back on.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44519 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Duh. Good idea. Thanks. Okay, I did that. I'll test for function more.

One symptom I didn't recognize until now: usually when the door is opening / closing, if I press the button, it'll stop and/or reverse direction. This is still the behavior on the good door.

The bad door doesn't respond to button pushes while opening or closing. It'll open or close all the way first. It does respond to hardwire.