SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door opener - update - question re: bridge compatibility kits
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door opener - update - question re: bridge compatibility kits Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Be sure to change the title and give us an update when you figured it out. Inquiring minds want to know.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20126 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Try cleaning the antenna terminal on the back of the unit. Probably just a wire dangling. May just need tightening.

Any switches/relays might need a good dose of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner?

Posts: 3615 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
But also I just don’t have the finances to just replace whatever breaks. If I must, so be it. But if I can fix this for cheap ($100), I can avoid spending $1000 for a new opener and install. But I have been researching DIY and I think I can probably do the install myself. Still, a new opener is $400.

Lowes has a Chamberlin, zero Wi-Fi, 1/2 hp for $159, the Wi-Fi enabled unit is $179, you can go up from there with lots more features, battery backup, but basically $200 should get you an opener.

They have 3/4 hp on sale if you need it for $199 for a Genie with battery backup.

Here are 2 Chamberlain, in stock, of those two I'd opt for the 1/2 hp belt drive with Wi-Fi and battery backup for $209...

linkamundo

They do offer installation services too....

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
If possible that you can physically open the hand held control and use a q-tip and some type 0f contact cleaner/alcohol and clean off the contacts inside the control box.... As concerning any vehicle mounted controls not sure what to suggest.. ....drill sgt.

Posts: 2097 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Apparently, this wonderful now requires I buy an opener w/ a batter backup. Never needed one in my life but apparently now I'm required to believe I need it. Just found out today as I was researching openers.

Wall mount seems interesting but I don't think I could self install.

I'm looking at Liftmaster belt drives. Why do they all have wifi and cameras.....? I get some people want it. I don't and don't like to pay for it. Belt drive is $500; chain drive is $350.

I'll look at the Chamberlains next.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13128 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Genie, belt drive, dual LED lights, wifi, 1 1/4 HP. . $279 @ Home Drpot. DIY install. Me, 77yo, 1 day replace and install. Genie has BILT app for complete step by step install instructions . I put the BILT App on my tablet and used it in the garage. Including 1 outdoor keypad remote, 1 interior push button and 2 remote push button devices.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7312 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
But also I just don’t have the finances to just replace whatever breaks. If I must, so be it. But if I can fix this for cheap ($100), I can avoid spending $1000 for a new opener and install. But I have been researching DIY and I think I can probably do the install myself. Still, a new opener is $400.

Lowes has a Chamberlin, zero Wi-Fi, 1/2 hp for $159, the Wi-Fi enabled unit is $179, you can go up from there with lots more features, battery backup, but basically $200 should get you an opener.

They have 3/4 hp on sale if you need it for $199 for a Genie with battery backup.

Here are 2 Chamberlain, in stock, of those two I'd opt for the 1/2 hp belt drive with Wi-Fi and battery backup for $209...

linkamundo

They do offer installation services too....

Checking these out now. Thanks. Trying to compare to the Liftmaster - similar models are $200 cheaper? I wonder why.... I'm missing something.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13128 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It seems that Liftmaster is not available at HD, only Chamberlain. LM is only available through dealers and online sources (dealers)?

I wonder what the difference is between similar LM and Chamberlain models to cost $500 vs $300. The features sound the same....

I'm starting to read the install guides for LM and Chamberlain - see if this is something I can DIY.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Genie, belt drive, dual LED lights, wifi, 1 1/4 HP. . $279 @ Home Drpot. DIY install. Me, 77yo, 1 day replace and install. Genie has BILT app for complete step by step install instructions . I put the BILT App on my tablet and used it in the garage. Including 1 outdoor keypad remote, 1 interior push button and 2 remote push button devices.

Is it bad to say that I have a little more confidence that I can DIY?

You have 1.25HP? My current unit is 1/3HP. Seems like min available now is 1/2HP. Should I think about more?

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Properly adjusted doors, correct spring preload, aligned/true tracks and lubed rollers require little power to operate the doors, and why 1/3 HP are widely used. Extreme temps swings from summer to winter might see need for a larger motor.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44520 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I have a 3/4 hp Chamberlain, it has served well for almost 20 years. Liftmaster and Chamberlain are made by the same manufacturer. I have a belt drive, very quiet and reliable.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I read the installation manual. I think I can DIY a replacement of my current chain LM with a belt LM as long as it's mostly just a remove and replace - things fit in place. If I have to move the wall anchor point and/or the opener anchor point (especially this since it's just hanging from the ceiling currently), then it may get dicey and beyond my ability. And assuming I don't need extra wiring - two wires at the hardwire button, two wires at each sensor. If the new opener needs more than that, I'd probably need to hire someone.

So as long as I don't need to change anything, especially at the opener anchor point, then I think I can DIY the remove and replace.

Should be easy, right? (famous last words?).

If so, then I think I just need to figure out how to buy a LM opener - doesn't seem as direct as Chamberlain. I think I'm partial to LM at this point.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, this wonderful now requires I buy an opener w/ a batter backup. Never needed one in my life but apparently now I'm required to believe I need it. Just found out today as I was researching openers.
Yeah, been that way for a while. Welcome to Kommiefornia. When the battery backup pack on ours died I just let it go. The house (and garage) are on off grid solar. 24 2 volt 1700 amp hour batteries beats the heck out of the crappy little battery backup required by the state now.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that Liftmaster is not available at HD, only Chamberlain. LM is only available through dealers and online sources (dealers)?

I wonder what the difference is between similar LM and Chamberlain models to cost $500 vs $300. The features sound the same....

I'm starting to read the install guides for LM and Chamberlain - see if this is something I can DIY.

Liftmaster is only sold through dealers who do the install, Chamberlain is the DIY line, both made by the same company.

Battery backup isn't required but it's nice especially if you live where power disruptions can happen, I've used ours a few times in the years since we have had it, of course the first time power was out, and we were locked out of the house it became necessary to have...

You should be able to install a direct replacement 1/2 hp belt drive, it's not that difficult.

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IF it's 20 years old, replace it.

Posts: 21418 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Question: seems like I now need a compatibility bridge since my cars are so old. I'm guessing the openers and my old cars are operating on different frequencies? Or anyway, something not right.

Please help me understand these bridges:
1. I only need 1 bridge per opener? I can program multiple cars / homelink buttons with a single bridge linked to a specific opener? Or will I need 1 bridge per vehicle / homelink button?

2. The bridge has a remote. I use the remote to program the homelink button(s). The bridge is 'learned' to the opener.

3. The bridge must be on AC power and in the garage at all times. The remote, once used to program the homelink button (s), can remain in the house.

Does the bridge always work? Or will it be finicky and hit / miss like the homelink buttons are proving to be? If the bridge is straighforward and easy to use, I'll go that route. But if they prove to be difficult, no point in getting them.

Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Just about 3 months ago I suffered these exact symptoms and after many false starts elected to gamble on a repair via US mail of the motherboard. R&R ing the MB from and to its housing was a tedious hassle but the repair was only $38 turnkey via a fine fellow in Texas offering his service on eBay(E.T.Ohmflow). My 20 year old model is a chain drive Liftmaster Chamberlain 41AC075-2S. It now works like new. As a possible backup I simultaneously purchased a pair of remotes from Amazon for around $10 (offshore clones, one of which one was intermittently defective however). An original remote still functions pleasingly, with new batteries every 10 years or so. YMMV.

One other note: the older Chamberlains seemed to be rather susceptible to line voltage surges(ask me how I know or ask Chamberlain as I did) so I inserted a decent MOV based surge suppressor at the 115 vac outlet serving my recently repaired Liftmaster.

Posts: 520 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the bridge, but I'd imagine that you'd program the homelink to a remote just like before and the homelink button will connect to the bridge.

However, get a newer opener with wifi capability and MyQ capabilities and you can use your cell phone to open, close, monitor etc.

The advantage is that if you have a car left out and it's broken into, without your cell, they can't open the garage door.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I never park the car outside, especially over night. Perhaps just for a short period if necessary but this is very, very rare.

I'm probably way over paranoid, but I just don't like the thought of 'smart' anything and especially for doors. Having a door connected to wifi just makes me uncomfortable - I would actually be less at ease, whether at home or away.

This may be stupid, but if the bridge doesn't work, I'm considering buying one of the wireless keypads for the car (usually mounted outside the garage door?). Even if the keypad is accessed, you need to know the PIN.

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I recently went down the road of Chamberlin for a whiz bang, not top of the line but about 350 each. They are smart but no camera. They are amazingly fast, lock when down with a pin and the battery backup is a nice feature as we lose power about once a month for a few hours. It is wall mounted so you get some space back and the app is lightning fast. Very happy but its not DIY

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5188 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post