SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global War?
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global War? Login/Join 
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
The K98 is a fearsome rifle. Very accurate out to even 1000 yds with a heavy .323 diameter projectile. Maybe not as good for urban street fighting as a shorter barrel modern semi-auto with 30 round magazines, but under the right circumstances I'd be very happy to be carrying a K98.

Posts: 9436 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Could still function pretty well as a sniper rifle (although technology has moved well past it even for that use.) But it's not suited for modern fire and maneuver warfare.

quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
The K98 is a fearsome rifle. Very accurate out to even 1000 yds with a heavy .323 diameter projectile. Maybe not as good for urban street fighting as a shorter barrel modern semi-auto with 30 round magazines, but under the right circumstances I'd be very happy to be carrying a K98.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Remember, boys and girls, the brain is the weapon, everything else is tools.

Find those tools that you wield best or from all that are available, then master, and own them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Remember, boys and girls, the brain is the weapon, everything else is tools.

Find those tools that you wield best or from all that are available, then master, and own them.

Exactly!

Look what 35,000 motivated 7th century murder cult radicals did against supposedly the best military on the globe. Now they just have better tools.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
And he’s wearing Jesus shoes too!!!!

What’s that old saying; you fight the war with what you got!

That's a good one, "Jesus shoes." And great eyes, too.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Biden regime is getting worried that this Ukraine thing is dragging on far too long and it’s going to affect the mid-term elections and his presidency in general.

I guess this OD-green-shirted-former-standup-comedian isn’t long for this world, I’d imagine Ukraine either ceases to exist as we know it or gets divided into a West Ukraine and East Ukraine

Report: "Deep mistrust" has developed between White House and Zelensky

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ There's a lot of speculation in there, and it's based on nothing more than something Thomas Friedman (of all people) wrote while trying to argue that Nan shouldn't have gone to Taiwan.

As long as we're at it, let me throw in speculation number four: the squatters in the White House are trying to take control of the Ukrainian side of the war for reasons that are based on either egotism by the people involved or calculations about the upcoming elections and other domestic political issues in the U.S. Zelynsky, who knows that they don't have their eye on the ball and that they've displayed a willingness in the past to give Putin Eastern Ukraine and Crimea in order to temporarily "end the war" on paper rather than focusing on solving the fundamental problem of Russian aggression, isn't playing ball with as many of Biden's flunkies as Biden's flunkies would like.

That's assuming, of course, that Friedman is right and that the writer of that opinion piece is interpreting what he said correctly. Given the size of the recent shipment of HIMARS rockets to Ukraine (not to mention Friedman's well-established history of bloviating, bombast and truly neurotic self-importance), I'm not entirely sure that's true.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Il Cattivo,

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ There's a lot of speculation in there, and it's based on nothing more than something Thomas Friedman (of all people) wrote while trying to argue that Nan shouldn't have gone to Taiwan.

As long as we're at it, let me throw in speculation number four: the squatters in the White House are trying to take control of the Ukrainian side of the war for reasons that are based on either egotism by the people involved or calculations about the upcoming elections and other domestic political issues in the U.S. Zelynsky, knowing that they don't have their eye on the ball and that they've displayed a willingness in the past to give Putin Eastern Ukraine and Crimea in order to temporarily "end the war" on paper rather than focusing on solving the fundamental problem of Russian aggression, and he isn't playing ball with as many of Biden's flunkies as Biden's flunkies would like.

That's assuming, of course, that Friedman is right and that the writer of that opinion piece is interpreting what he said correctly. Given the size of the recent shipment of HIMARS rockets to Ukraine (not to mention Friedman's well-established history of bloviating, bombast and truly neurotic self-importance), I'm not entirely sure that's true.

Spot on assessment. The Biden administration is attempting to give the appearance of fighting a proxy war for political reasons, without fully commiting to winning the proxy war. Tiptoeing around and straddling fences is no way to win a war.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice all the speculation in that opinion piece.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

That’s actually 7 months, but I accept.

Crap, my apologies.
No let’s put it back to six months.
Your kind, additional condition hedges any timing issues.

I’ll edit the original post with the proper date WED August 24, 2022

Let it be recorded: SIGnified is a man of his word. I have received one delicious bottle of Glenfarclas 21 scotch whiskey as payment for a wager I’m sure he was happy to lose.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll drink to that!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
To the victor go the spoils.

Skâl to the winner!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've heard analysis explaining why the Russians are doing what they're doing. Russia has been invaded over 50 times. They view 9 different avenues of these invasions and to defend the flat land of Russia's interior they expand to plug those gateways. Poland for example. Napoleon and Hitler. Black Sea through Ukraine is where the Turks came through. The Baltics is where the Swedes tried and so on and so forth. They argue the height of the Soviet Union all 9 gateways where plugged.

This is an interesting history lesson, but most countries in Europe have been invaded 50 times in their history. France twice in 30 years in the 20th Century. France didn't expand and take Belgium, Holland, and Switzerland to set up a buffer between them and Germany.

Its nice to think the Russians are doing this for security reasons and history. This is kind of an antiseptic way of looking at this problem. I think they're just expansionist shitheads doing what expansionist shitheads do in the nastiest, meanest way possible.

Here's the problem. Ukraine wheat mostly goes to Africa and the Middle East. Some are saying those people are going to under moderate food pressure this year. Giving way to high food pressure next year. Famine. On a large scale. Estimates say possibly 150,000 dead in the next two years. We've had the trifecta. Pandemic, war, and now possibly famine to come. That's only going to make the war and famine part worse. I sure hope these people who are saying this are wrong.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
France twice in 30 years in the 20th Century. France didn't expand and take Belgium, Holland, and Switzerland to set up a buffer between them and Germany.

Well, to be fair... They didn't need to. In both cases, they set up an occupied and demilitarized buffer zone between France and Germany within Germany: the Rhineland region after WW1, and all of western Germany after WW2.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Anyone else getting a queasy feeling with all this Putin stuff going on? He's now going to mobilize the entirity of Russia for the war and is starting to talk again about nuking us and his enemies.

Either he's really desperate or crazy or both but I really hope this is all just more BS from this guy. Eek

I honestly thought he would have been wacked by now.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Let’s see what two scoops has to say…

I do find it distressing that we sold off our SPR (in part to China) and yet Biden throwing down like we have robust military funding, wherewithal and plenty of fuel for a war.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biden throwing down like we have robust military funding, wherewithal and plenty of fuel for a war.

Not to mention a shortage of pilots.

Unexpectedly, the USAF Finds Itself With a Critical Shortage of Pilots While It Says It Has Too Many White Officers
https://redstate.com/streiff/2...ite-officers-n629231

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Unexpectedly, the USAF Finds Itself With a Critical Shortage of Pilots While It Says It Has Too Many White Officers

Awesome, because we all know the color of one's skin determines the outcome of a war Roll Eyes

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Anyone else getting a queasy feeling with all this Putin stuff going on?
No

What's happening is that Putin knows he can say whatever he wants, with impunity. He knows he's dealing with a doddering, impotent old fool who doesn't know what day it is, and his adolescent, leftist handlers. He knows he's dealing with a US military commanded by ridiculous leftist PC officers who do not have a clue.

He can bluff all day long and won't have to back it up, because he's dealing with great-grandpa and a bunch of children.

Putin also knows that if he brought destruction to his country, he would be deposed and executed, and rattlesnakes don't commit suicide.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Camo netting

My first thought as well! Carried a LOT of that stuff around Germany during my 9+ years stationed there.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Germany's less than stellar performance over the last several years is proof enough that they have little idea what they are doing.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post