SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please help diagnose water heater problem. (RV related.)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help diagnose water heater problem. (RV related.) Login/Join 
posted
The propane side has quit. It will not self ignite. I can light it manually, but it goes out after a few seconds. Heater is Atwood model GC6AA-10E. Thank you.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
The propane side has quit. It will not self ignite. I can light it manually, but it goes out after a few seconds. Heater is Atwood model GC6AA-10E. Thank you.

There's a sensor that will kill the gas if it doesn't detect that the burner is burning. If the igniter fails, it keeps un-burnt gas from flowing out to blow you up. could be as simple as a spider web on the sensor.

It might be a thermocouple or other sensor, quick google search didn't find the manual for your specific water heater so I won't go further. That's what I'd start with though.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I believe a lot of propane heating devices work much the same way.

Assuming you are not out of propane:

1. There is a pilot light.
2. When the pilot light is lit, it heats a thermocouple that allows propane to flow to the pilot light and main burner.
3. When you turn on the main burner on, gas flows to it and the pilot light ignites the gas.

For the pilot light, you usually have to hold the valve in for 20-30 seconds which allows gas to flow to the pilot light until the thermocouple is hot enough to allow the gas flow on it's own. If the pilot light is not lighting, the tube is clogged. If the pilot light is lighting, but not staying lit, the thermocouple isn't hot enough to keep gas flowing (try holding the valve in longer) or the thermocouple is defective.

I'm assuming what is not staying lit is the pilot light. I don't believe you can light the main burner manually as gas won't flow to it unless the thermocouple is hot enough and stays hot enough. The pilot tube on our oven was crimped, which I didn't find out until we first tried to use it 8 months after buying our RV. I was able to get the main burner to light by holding a grill lighter where the pilot light would have been. Once I removed the grill lighter, the gas shut off to the burner.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dumb question; You have propane in the tank?

Use a multimeter to make sure your wiring is good.

Best guess is a thermocouple like someone mentioned.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This unit doesnt have a thermocouple, as it is direct spark ignition.

Usually a good cleaning of the spark electrode, flame sensor and burner tube resolves the issues.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Atwood model GC6AA-10E.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
another vote for spider on the sensor.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Plugugly

I just replaced all of the components in my Atwood including the circuit board and gas valve. Part preventative maintenance and part fixing a problem.

The above video is good, but he skips a couple of troubleshooting steps even though he does diagnose the problem. It is actually a very simple system and there is an upgraded board I would recommend if in fact it is the board.

Here is the upgrade board: https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/UIB-64.html

If you have questions, email is in my profile, contact me and I'll get you my phone number.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. I now have a starting point for my next day off.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Following this as I had the same problem crop up last weekend on my trailer. I think the exact same water heater...

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was the circuit board. Wires just plug in, then two screws to attach it. Took it to a dealer to be tested. Replacement was right at $170. All good now. Fires right up. Thanks again, everyone.