SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you alter what you purchase, eat, watch, etc., based on politics?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you alter what you purchase, eat, watch, etc., based on politics? Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Damned right I do.

Posts: 4774 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Not usually. I've made an exception for anyone displaying any support for Hamas.

Posts: 7625 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I read the Sig Forum - nuf said.

Posts: 501 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
No. I judge the company or person by who they are, the content of their character, not political affiliation.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37143 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My grandmother, who was born in “19 and 17” as she used to say, would tell me that she wouldn’t “trade” with those she didn’t agree with. There were many examples of that over the years in her presence, so I’m the same way.

My list is similar to others’ here, so I won’t waste time. But to put this in other words, I vote every time I purchase goods and services - to me, that is the ‘Merican way.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1211 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I try my best to not support any Lee-Bore-Al entities. It is not always possible, but I try.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
No, not political affiliation.

If they make a product that I want and can afford and they don't take a stance on a specific topic that I find especially egregious, they get my money.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My personal do not view/use/support in any manner list started with Jane Fonda and regrettably has grown over the years. My family invented the doctrine of " never forgive, never forget".

Posts: 153 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Years ago, the top guy at Penzey’s Spice company called every Trump voter “racist” in one of his regularly published screeds.

I packed up every Penzey’s spice jar/package in my pantry in a cardboard box and returned them to the local Penzey’s store here in CT. I must have had $300 worth of that company’s spices. I probably spent a multiple of that amount over the years I did business with them.

Knowing that the clerk wasn’t responsible, I asked her to communicate with her employer that “I won’t have any relationship with anyone that calls me a racist. Please let your management know I won’t ever purchase a Penzey’s product ever again… nor do I want this company’s product in my house.”

The clerk said “I can understand”… which is somewhat surprising given CT’s deep blue politics.

That particular store is no longer operating in CT. Likely there are other reasons for its closure…. I feel sorry for any employee that may have suffered a job loss due to management’s politically-induced blindness.

I have no idea of what has happened to Penzey’s since. They are dead to me.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1618 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Only if truly egregious. I don't care, within reason, how somebody votes, if they aren't a douche about it.

It is difficult to remain consistent. We don't like Bill Gates' politics, but it's pretty hard to have a computer work without Microsoft (Apple and other operating systems notwithstanding). We don't like Google's politics, but we don't stop using it for searches (to "google" has even become a verb for internet searching), let alone stop using YouTube or Android phones.

Posts: 28337 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
General Motors. I drove GM products from the time I was eighteen, worked in dealerships forty seven years, 1970-2017. By 2012 I had enough of the “new” GM and their pandering, product choices, quality, kissing ass for the Chinese market and in certain cases how they spent our taxpayer funded bailout, things like closing and outsourcing many clerical functions overseas. That year I bought two FCA products. One of my coworkers said “They have problems too” to which I answered “But at least I’m not feeding the monster that I deal with daily.”

To the shock of a couple coworkers one day probably around 2005-7 timeframe I said “Those assholes need to go bankrupt and clean up their act”. I said at the time maybe they’d take a long hard look at themselves, right their wrongs and move forward. They still haven’t learned.

Kraft-Heinz Foods. John Kerry. His hypocrisy of flying around the world with his carbon footprint all the while telling us we need to freeze in the dark and not travel because we are,the,evil,polluters and his message is so important, well that’s different. I still remember that hypocritical prick from Detroit in 1971 at the Winter Soldier anti war protest. I believed in the right to protest the war and I was against it also. But to be onstage and protesting in a United States military uniform was wrong. The uniform meant something to me, it represented all who served, were wounded or died in the service of their country past,present and future. And it was a slap in their faces. And I could never forgive nor forget that.

Target has become a freak show. When the “female” clerk has a five o’clock shadow worse than mine, enough said. I’ve worked with gays over the years and when I was in management hired them also, all I cared about was could they do the job or not.

Dick’s, haven’t stepped in one for probably ten years

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8291 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I won't wear Levis as they are a very anti-American, anti-Boy Scout and anti-2nd Amendment.

I also don't shop at Dick's.

Posts: 5668 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a Best Buy gift card for my birthday. The dude that gave it to me has his birthday coming up. Guess what he is getting. I hate Best Buy because they judge me based on the color of my skin and they hate me for it.

Posts: 733 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
I try to buy American made; eat at non-chain businesses. Never drank a Bud-Lite so that was a nothing-burger for me. I did drop Gillette after their 'Toxic-Masculinity' debacle. Haven't bought a Scott paper product since they closed their U.S. plants. The only Levi's product I have is an olde light jacket from before they moved manufacturing out of the U.S. that I've fought and made many arrests in. I don't follow actors who use their 'stardom' to promulgate leftist messages or who use firearms in their movies but want to take away firearms from law abiding Americans (Stallone, Neeson.) I watch Aussie Rules Football which is twice the game American football is with real athletes.

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4825 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
I don't buy a lot of the "woke" brands because they make shitty products.

Don't like Bud Light (or Bud), Nike shoes are overpriced and fit me poorly, I hate Windows and only give Microsoft money for things I absolutely need (Office for Mac), Don't buy Gillette's overpriced "blade delivery systems", won't buy GM anything, won't buy Stellantis anything, generally hate shopping at Wal-Mart, don't like Coffee so Starbucks and all of them are out, hate Dick's sporting goods for destroying Galyan's which was a much much better store, and based near my house in the Indy suburbs. I'm also not going to buy an EV, don't pay anything to Disney and likely never will again now that my son is grown up.

BUT,

I have owned and used Apple Macs since the early 90's, along with iPhones since 2010, and Apple TV since the days it looked like a Mac Mini. For electronics and optics I try to get Japanese (Sony, Denon, P.A. PLx and GLx) or Philippines, but a lot of stuff is made in China or with Chinese components so it's hard to avoid.

I still wear Levi's because I have forever and they fit. I still have Benchmade knives because they are the most left-handed friendly brand, although Hogue is getting much better at that, and I have Hogue-made Sig Legion and HK mini OTF knives. I switched to Harry's razors a few years ago before they started running "trans" ads with women shaving their faces, because they have one blade refill type (vs. dozens for the others) and the prices weren't too bad. When I run out of blades I might try Jeremy's.

And I still watch Robert De Niro movies. Pretty much can't watch any entertainment if you want to avoid leftists. But I do appreciate the few conservatives that stand up.

Posts: 4826 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
To an extent, depends... Nike, Gillette, Bud, Starbucks: no skin off my nose, screw em. Going from Benchmade to Spyderco was a leap, but glad I did.

Now, Apple = I love their products. Amazon = very convenient. Target = close/convenient for me, nice clean store/customers (The opposite of Wallmart here)

Posts: 522 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
To an extent, depends... Nike, Gillette, Bud, Starbucks: no skin off my nose, screw em. Going from Benchmade to Spyderco was a leap, but glad I did.

Now, Apple = I love their products. Amazon = very convenient. Target = close/convenient for me, nice clean store/customers (The opposite of Wallmart here)

Yep, Amazon is convenient and has stuff you can't get anywhere else, Target is better than Wal-Mart, but I just joined Costco so might not need to bother with Target much more. Then again isn't Costco "woke" too?

And Best Buy is really the only option around here for electronics. There was a Fry's but they died out, and I don't like buying electronics at Big Box stores because they are usually the cheaper stuff. Costco may change that but in the past I found that Costco sells "exclusive" models that are not easily compared to the regular lines.

Hell, my employer is "woke" too and is proud of their high ESG score and the executives are always parroting the leftist talking points about DEI, Racial Equity, LGBTQ+ rights, etc. Don't think I can find another large publicly held company to apply my expertise that would be much different though...

Posts: 4826 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do my best but sometimes is unavoidable- for example almost all sub thousand dollar rifle scopes are made in china. Same with the red dots.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I do my best.

No Walmart
No Starbucks
No Target
No Burger King or McDonalds. I rarely eat Subway.
No Beer that supports a woke agenda
No Black Rifle Coffee
No Smithfield hams or meat products.

I do use Amazon and Costco as being rural it is one hour round trip to a town with a walmart or similar store (we have Bi-Mart which is employee owned, and not as woke as Walmart). That hour driving plus time in store equates to dollars (150.00 an hour before taxes, insurances, and other fees taken out of my check by the government so I take home 30.00 per hour). This means a trip to town is a 250.00 expense plus whatever is purchased.
To go where there is a Best Buy, or a Men's Wearhouse, and other shops that is two hours round trip driving. We use Costco.com for most of our Costco purchases so that eliminates time on the road and in the store. When one of us goes to the town where Costco is for an appointment we will stop in for the items we can't get online.

I prefer using the small local companies and even Ace Hardware over Home Depot, Walmart, and other big box stores.

Posts: 3565 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post