SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you alter what you purchase, eat, watch, etc., based on politics?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you alter what you purchase, eat, watch, etc., based on politics? Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
The ongoing Bud Light and Superbowl, Alec Baldwin threads have me curious as to how many people change their consumer behavior, and to what degree, based on politics.

I'm not trying to "out" anyone, so I'd really appreciate a poll vote even if you don't want to comment.

Not trying to sway any votes, (and I'm sure I don't carry any weight to sway people anyway), but I'll give my thoughts.

Personally I think it's too damn much work, if not impossible, to be strict about this. Some things are "in your face", but I don't think you can watch TV or movies in general if you don't want to "support" liberal actors, producers, etc.

I prefer my tools, and other products to be made in America, but that's not possible in a lot of product categories.

I generally have no idea about the politics of those who own and run the companies that provide products, run restaurants, produce the food at the grocery, etc. I'm sure there are lists of such things, but I don't look for them.

Question:
Does the politics of those involved alter what you purchase, eat, watch, etc.?

Choices:
I pay close attention to the poliitics of the companies whose products I buy, and the actors and producers in TV/Movies I watch, and alter behavior accordingly.
I pay some attention, try to buy American, maybe alter behavior for "in your face" support of liberal causes, ie. Bud Light controversy, NFL taking a knee, etc.
I buy the best products for me regardless of origin, I watch what I want to watch, and eat what I want to eat. Anything else is too much trouble and won't make a significant statement in general.
Something else-none of the choices fit me.

Posts: 3486 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I try, as much as possible, not to buy goods made in China. I say that, of course, typing this from an iPhone, as some things are very difficult to avoid.

One of the most baffling things is when we, as US consumers on this board, buy Chinese products that are dual-use (I.e. gun optics, radios, gear, accessories etc). We will be in a war with them eventually, the last thing they need R&D $$ from us testing and refining their products.

The vast majority of my clothing, electronics, home goods, etc are not made in China. It’s not hard if you make it a point not to buy something because it’s cheap, but rather make intentional, long term purchases.

Posts: 2333 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hell yes

Posts: 108621 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

agreed, and yes, I make buying decisions on a product by product basis

I try very hard NOT to buy anything from China

Posts: 53584 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I try to as best as I can, I try to buy and use the best product that I can afford. I do slip up every now and then. So I guess the answer to the question is yes.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fanatic but I haven't crossed the threshold at Dicks in a long time and won't go again. I kept my bench made knives but I'll never buy another. If the store has a freak flag in the window I don't go in. My go-to bookstore goes ape-shit over race-based history month, I'll browse again in March, maybe on St. Patrick's Day. I wouldn't drink Bud Light if it was free.

I truly do not understand why purveyors of goods want to piss me off. Do they think their preferred clientele is going to buy twice as much to off set my passing by?

Posts: 6472 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'll go out of my way and/or spend more to buy products that are made in the USA (or sometimes, depending on the type of product involved, anywhere EXCEPT China). It doesn't help that the only major store in town is Walmart, but I try. I also have a list of woke companies/corporations that I avoid buying from whenever possible. It's not a huge list, but it grows whenever I hear about another one gone woke (usually from Sigforum).

Posts: 7342 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As an investor, I prefer businesses that STFU about politics, and invest their time and money into growing their business instead of alienating ~50% of their potential customers.

As a consumer:
  • I don't go out of my way to research a businesses politics
  • If during the normal course of my life (e.g. browsing Siforum), I learn that a business is supporting the Communist agenda then I won't purchase their product ever again. I hold a grudge like a Sicilian.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23526 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hop head
    Picture of lyman
    posted Hide Post
    yes, and know,
    I won't watch much if any of the Stuporbowl, however the wife will (its an office thing)

have not had a Bud Light in a decade, or so, however had have Bud parent company owned crafts and micros, ( but not many, sometimes that is hard to figure out, re who owns who, when shopping)

locally, we have an uber douche as a City Mayor, so we limit our trips in town, preferring to keep the tax dollars in teh county instead, however we do once in a while shop at a few city based places (a bakery, a brewery and one restuarant, + a concert venue)

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10482 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    posted Hide Post
    Yes.

Posts: 5722 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get Off My Lawn
    Picture of oddball
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, I try to do my best in not putting money into the pockets of those who hate me and my kind, but it is tough to be 100% consistent, in particular with things made in China and very few alternatives available. But easy, blatant ones- most U.S. sporting organizations, stores and products like Bud-Light, Bank of America, Target, etc. are slam dunks in the avoid department, along with certain obvious entertainment choices like Disney, Facebook, Netflix, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16986 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Ozarkwoods
    posted Hide Post
    Absolutely, certain stores have not been entered. Certain foods, beer, and knives, states have not been traveled in. If we don’t agree with their position we choose accordingly. Not one penny to the RNC as long as McDaniel is leading and they choose to block funds to America first candidates.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4878 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Smarter than the
    average bear
    posted Hide Post
    So for those that are trying a little harder than average, is there literally anything you can watch on TV? Movies? I recall that Kirk Cameron was making some Christian themed movies. But is there anything on Network TV, streaming, any series or movies that you watch?

Posts: 3486 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get Off My Lawn
    Picture of oddball
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by honestlou:
    So for those that are trying a little harder than average, is there literally anything you can watch on TV? Movies? I recall that Kirk Cameron was making some Christian themed movies. But is there anything on Network TV, streaming, any series or movies that you watch?

As far as current productions on TV or streaming, no, nothing. The last series we watched was the first season of Reacher. Otherwise, we watch old TV series we really have never watched in our youth- Wagon Train, the B&W Gunsmoke episodes, etc. We're hooked on Columbo, never watched it when I was a kid, and it is great. And many others; for us, older content is still new content to watch. Same with movies- the two recent films for us were Oppenheimer and Maverick, and before them, can't remember. We watch old film noir and other genres, films we have never seen. Some are just OK, and some are great; we just viewed Flight of the Phoenix for the first time, and we loved it.

So for us, older content is our preferred entertainment.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16986 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    St. Vitus
    Dance Instructor
    Picture of blueye
    posted Hide Post
    Yup

Posts: 5335 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Routinely. Have for years. Dicks Sports, Nike, the NFL/ woke sports, Coke products, the list goes on. I can't avoid all of them but I can avoid most of them.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 25, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    Nike
    Target
    NFL
    MLB
    NBA
    Dick’s Sporting
    Bud Light
    Black Rifle Coffee Company
    Starbucks…unless no other option
    Walmart…unfortunately not completely, but scaled waaaaaaay back

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    W07VH5
    Picture of mark123
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, I’ve canceled Disney plus and Netflix, I no longer shop at Amazon. I’ve always been a Star Wars fan but I’m not giving Disney money. I have been forced into buying from Amazon because 138foods.com sells through Amazon even if you buy from their website.

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Rumors of my death
    are greatly exaggerated
    Picture of coloradohunter44
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by erj_pilot:
    Nike
    Target
    NFL
    MLB
    NBA
    Dick’s Sporting
    Bud Light
    Walmart…unfortunately not completely, but scaled waaaaaaay back

These are all on our list. However, it is sometimes hard to avoid Walmart. But we are very conscious of who we spend our money with. Also, if a local mom n pop type store has what we need for just a bit more, we choose to support them.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10954 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
    I'm not a fanatic but I haven't crossed the threshold at Dicks in a long time and won't go again. I kept my bench made knives but I'll never buy another. If the store has a freak flag in the window I don't go in. My go-to bookstore goes ape-shit over race-based history month, I'll browse again in March, maybe on St. Patrick's Day. I wouldn't drink Bud Light if it was free.

I truly do not understand why purveyors of goods want to piss me off. Do they think their preferred clientele is going to buy twice as much to off set my passing by?

Agree completely.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post